The Student Room Group

Can someone mark my 6 marker on the menstrual cycle please?

Explain what happens in the menstrual cycle from menstruation until pregnancy (6).

The menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle that occurs in the female reproductive system. From days 1-5 the blood rich uterine lining breaks down and is passed out of the body with blood via the vagina. This is known as menstruation. From days 6-13 the egg matures in the ovary and the uterine lining repairs itself, building back up in preparation for fertilisation and implantation. The ovary releases an egg cell on day 14 which is known as ovulation. The female is most fertile within 1-2 days of ovulation i.e this is when fertilisation is most likely to occur with the nuclei of the sperm cell fusing with the nuclei of the egg cell to form the diploid zygote.

The diploid zygote then divides by mitosis to form an embryo before implanting into the wall of the uterus where the embryo grows and differentiation of tissues occur. A placenta is also developed to control the nutrients coming to and from the embryo from the mother.
Original post by jackcoys
Explain what happens in the menstrual cycle from menstruation until pregnancy (6).

The menstrual cycle is a 28 day cycle that occurs in the female reproductive system. From days 1-5 the blood rich uterine lining breaks down and is passed out of the body with blood via the vagina. This is known as menstruation. From days 6-13 the egg matures in the ovary and the uterine lining repairs itself, building back up in preparation for fertilisation and implantation. The ovary releases an egg cell on day 14 which is known as ovulation. The female is most fertile within 1-2 days of ovulation i.e this is when fertilisation is most likely to occur with the nuclei of the sperm cell fusing with the nuclei of the egg cell to form the diploid zygote.

The diploid zygote then divides by mitosis to form an embryo before implanting into the wall of the uterus where the embryo grows and differentiation of tissues occur. A placenta is also developed to control the nutrients coming to and from the embryo from the mother.

While everything you said there is correct, you've described conception more than the menstrual cycle, there was no mention of the hormones, the most important part of the menstrual cycle!
Reply 2
Yes - my feeling is you've missed out all the hormones and where these hormones are secreted and the changes in their levels. They're crucial.

LH, FSH, (pituitary) Oestrogen (ovaries) and Progesterone (Corpus Luteum/placenta).
Reply 3
Original post by Kefte
Yes - my feeling is you've missed out all the hormones and where these hormones are secreted and the changes in their levels. They're crucial.

LH, FSH, (pituitary) Oestrogen (ovaries) and Progesterone (Corpus Luteum/placenta).

My course doesn't involve hormones.
Reply 4
Original post by jackcoys
My course doesn't involve hormones.

Okay. Must admit, I'm surprised that you don't talk about hormones during menstrual cycle and pregnancy - even GCSE cover these with emphasis on the hormones.

What course are you doing?
i would give this a 3/6, although you have mentioned the stages of the menstrual cycle and how long they last, you have not mentioned hormones and how they act and interact within the menstrual cycle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending