The Student Room Group

ADHD Diagnosis!! during GCSES

Well my grandmother died last week so I was away all of last week for her funeral in America. Now I just had a follow up appointment with my psychiatrist and I've been diagnosed with moderate to severe ADHD and been given medication. I was wondering if I would be given any special consideration for my ADHD and maybe be given any extra time?
Original post by roopy411
Well my grandmother died last week so I was away all of last week for her funeral in America. Now I just had a follow up appointment with my psychiatrist and I've been diagnosed with moderate to severe ADHD and been given medication. I was wondering if I would be given any special consideration for my ADHD and maybe be given any extra time?

Why not ask your school????
Reply 2
Original post by SunnyBoys
Why not ask your school????

Won't be able to ask until tuesday, and just want some reassurance or information to put me at ease.
Reply 3
You would almost certainly get Special Consideration, given that your grandmother had died, it will be something between 3-5% extra. In terms of extra time, you would need to see the special needs department at your school to see if it affects the way you work in exams; in any case, it's probably too late to get it for this exam series.

you'd definielty get 5%, sorry to hear about your loss, must be tough. Try not to thnik about it. Good luck
My condolences.
Keep at your work. Don't let the diagnosis demotivate you.
I would assume that you will get extra time etc., but only they can let you know :smile:
As has been mentioned, it's probably too late. You should have an exams officer at your school? They can advise you on both matters.
Reply 7
A few people have said it's probably too late, but I got my stuff through a day or 2 before the exam.

(mine was only coloured paper and an overlay though!)
You'd only get extra time if the school feel you need it. A diagnosis alone won't give you extra time.
who pissed in your cheerios?
just an idea, but it might be a good idea to keep your invalidation to yourself. someone who has just experienced the loss of a family member doesnt need to hear it. (:

@ op
you will almost definitely get special consideration due to the loss of a family member (im sorry about that, by the way).
however, i dont think youll be able to get extra time as it is too late for this series of exams. anything that you need to apply directly to the exam boards for (im pretty sure extra time is covered in this) is probably off the table now. there are other arrangements that may help you that you do not need to send off for, though, and they may be available and helpful for you.
best of luck with your exams!

Presumably your school knows why you missed school last week so your exams officer may already be primed to apply for special consideration for your grandmother dying. If not talk to whoever authorised the time off and they should talk to the Exams Officer. It would probably make 2-3% difference, no more.

Talk to your SEN person about the ADHD diagnosis. She will need to see the Psychiatrist's report but even then it may not be possible as your school needs evidence that you consistently fail to finish tests within the time allowed. If they don't have that they they shouldn't apply for extra time.
Reply 11

Quick Reply

Latest