The Student Room Group

Opinions on backpacks in sixth form?

Meh
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i'm started 6th form in sept this year and i'm planning on wear backpack like the bright, colourful ones. I wouldn't give a **** about people say about me and you shouldn't. Rock your backpack :tongue:
backpacks are cool, but make sure you get a waterproof one.

I have worn one for the whole of AS
Reply 3
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
The school I'm transferring to for sixth form in september still makes you wear a uniform, but you still have freedom to choose whatever bag you use. I know the most common and option considered 'normal' is a fashionable shoulder bag, although I'm worried this will worsen my back (I have very minor scoliosis) so I'm planning on wearing a backpack. These days in school hierarchy backpacks are often looked down upon, and at least in my current school, they are associated mostly with Yr 7-9 - I'm interested in everyone's opinions about wearing a backpack in sixth form, so what do you think? Would you wear a backpack or shoulder bag in sixth form?

They even control what backpack you wear?? That's more extreme than my school :eek:

There's nothing wrong with a backpack (pretty much everyone wears it including uni students, since they all l carry A LOT of things), and is better than a shoulder strap bags
(edited 7 years ago)
For me, backpacks are pretty much the only thing I would ever wear for 6th form come September because:

1) I cannot tackle a shoulder bag
2) I cannot imagine being able to tackle a shoulder bag
3 I will never be able to tackle a shoulder bag

My advice is go for a backpack if that's what you want, and especially if it's associated with your health too. Put aside what others may think of you, those that judge you for what you're wearing are going to be people you don't really want to get involved with anyway. Therefore they are irrelevant, and shouldn't be part of what you choices you make.

So, do what you want and screw anyone that tells you otherwise.
(edited 7 years ago)
The school I'm transferring to for sixth form in september still makes you wear a uniform, but you still have freedom to choose whatever bag you use. I know the most common and option considered 'normal' is a fashionable shoulder bag, although I'm worried this will worsen my back (I have very minor scoliosis) so I'm planning on wearing a backpack. These days in school hierarchy backpacks are often looked down upon, and at least in my current school, they are associated mostly with Yr 7-9 - I'm interested in everyone's opinions about wearing a backpack in sixth form, so what do you think? Would you wear a backpack or shoulder bag in sixth form?

100% go for the backpack. I used a leather satchel at 6th form and now I'm at uni and working I use a Fjallraven Kanken rucksack (waterproof, practical, front opens completely, decent size etc.) which are really popular with fashion bloggers so are about as stylish as it gets, rucksack-wise. They are a bit expensive but are great quality and were made to help kids with sore backs (they have a foam insert so nothing prods your back). When you consider how many books you're going to have to carry, plus maybe a laptop and the weight of these you definitely should be distributing the weight evenly.
I only used backpacks during sixth form. Most people did the same. Some guys used rugby bags but the rest used backpacks (apart from a few girls who used handbags).

Fancy handbags/shoulder bags are useless when you're trying to carry books/folders for 3-4 subjects.
Reply 7
Do whatever the f*** you wanna do, doesn't matter what others think
Reply 8
Original post by eden3
Do whatever the f*** you wanna do, doesn't matter what others think

Excluding illegal activities that is

Get a swaggy backpack, backpacks are in fashion, but it has to be a nice one like adidas :cool:
Reply 10
Original post by kkboyk
Excluding illegal activities that is

That should go without saying, lol.
Reply 11
Original post by eden3
That should go without saying, lol.

You'd be surprised with how many idiots are in this website
Lol, i worried about this to and bought a satchel before sixth form started.
Turns out everyone just used a backpack and I was the odd one out. Whatever, I looked awesome with it.
Reply 13
As long as you don't get a massive one which makes you resemble a year 7 no one will say anything about it. (Not that I'm speaking from experience xD)
Reply 14
Original post by kkboyk
You'd be surprised with how many idiots are in this website

:lol:
Rucksacks are great, pretty much everyone at my sixth form has one.

Even girls, they started with large handbags but then they realised they weren't great carrying textbooks, books, folders, paper and their lunch.

The most popular are the Herschel style ones.
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm definitely going to go with a backpack ahahah
Original post by Charlotte49
100% go for the backpack. I used a leather satchel at 6th form and now I'm at uni and working I use a Fjallraven Kanken rucksack (waterproof, practical, front opens completely, decent size etc.) which are really popular with fashion bloggers so are about as stylish as it gets, rucksack-wise. They are a bit expensive but are great quality and were made to help kids with sore backs (they have a foam insert so nothing prods your back). When you consider how many books you're going to have to carry, plus maybe a laptop and the weight of these you definitely should be distributing the weight evenly.

hey just wondering i'm going to buy a kanken what size did you get because i'm worried the normal size won't fit my laptop? thanks!
Original post by Iloveclouds
hey just wondering i'm going to buy a kanken what size did you get because i'm worried the normal size won't fit my laptop? thanks!

I bought the classic size and it fits a 13" macbook pro (in a neoprene case) no problem. They do a laptop one which has an extra pocket at the back but didn't really see the point personally as my laptop is always in a case, and there is a foam pad at the back anyway.
Definitely backpack!
I have a Kanken Big and it's perfect. Much easier on your shoulders/back and no one mentions anything about it (at my sixth form at least)

Quick Reply