The Student Room Group

Why don't men like smart, strong, independent women?

Scroll to see replies

It's more to do with personality/ sexyness. Being an independent woman has nothing to do with it.
From experience i think its because men are always entitled to be the "dominant figure" in the relationship. They hate it when their place is taken by a female.
Or another possible solution is that them guys are intimidated by you therefore they are too afraid to get to know you.
Because generally girls who label themselves so tend to be overly opinionated, aggressive and tiresome.
Original post by Anonymous
Nah, guys actually hate those qualities, they much prefer weak, dependent, idiotic, cruel women. Acerbic is actually your only good quality, guys loved to be nagged with *****y, sarcastic comments.

Wow, huge generalisations about all of men; not sexist at all. Maybe you're not around the right type of people or maybe some guys don't like your personality (it's not all looks).
Original post by AxSirlotl
Wow, huge generalisations about all of men; not sexist at all. Maybe you're not around the right type of people or maybe some guys don't like your personality (it's not all looks).

I think they were being sarcastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not that they don't like you, more that you can be intimidating to approach maybe?

You have to start initiating the first move I think :smile: I know it can be easier said that done though!!
Original post by ckfeister
Naturally guy is the dominant and girl is the one protected, caring etc... independent and strong will cause issues in a relationship by miles.

I've always been the one doing the 'seeking' or chasing with guys and I'm the type of girl OP describes... My relationships were always very good and the guys have really liked me, dare I say loved me :h:

OP sometimes it will pay to try to be a bit more open and things, don't give off a 'leave me alone I can look after myself vibe' and instead make confidence the defining thing but also it's okay to show a bit of vulnerability whether you're a guy or a girl that's what leads to people feeling closer and protective of the bond they share with eachother.
Original post by stefano865
Many do.

Just make sure you don't completely abandon your feminine qualities.

Why not start asking men out?

:wink:

"Feminine qualities"? What?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sunethra
From experience i think its because men are always entitled to be the "dominant figure" in the relationship. They hate it when their place is taken by a female.
Or another possible solution is that them guys are intimidated by you therefore they are too afraid to get to know you.

******** read up the last quote of mine. This isn't true.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Because generally girls who label themselves so tend to be overly opinionated, aggressive and tiresome.

Yup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do. I can't deal with girls that aren't driven or ambitious and that need constant attention to feel 'loved'. Re:being smart, yes, I couldn't deal with the usual gossip-y, shallow conversations I've seen many people have; I'd want someone who could think on the same plane as me.

My mom and grandma have had to raise their kids by themselves due to premature deaths of their partners, both are great examples that women can be strong, independent and still build a functional family.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

Got there before me.
People around me often label me as strong, independent, smart, kind, and acerbic. I'm 20 years old and I hate to admit that no one ever asked me out. If you're gonna say perhaps it's because of your look, I'd answer that I'm neither pretty nor ugly, just okay.
Do men ever tried to find out why some women became strong and independent? I was once that sweet, gentle woman. But at some point in life, when you realised that you're the only one that you can rely on, being strong is the only choice you have, you'll grow up overnight...

Good job generalising all men because you don't get asked out. I don't get asked out by girls so do girls not like independent and smart men?Again gj.
People around me often label me as strong, independent, smart, kind, and acerbic. I'm 20 years old and I hate to admit that no one ever asked me out. If you're gonna say perhaps it's because of your look, I'd answer that I'm neither pretty nor ugly, just okay.
Do men ever tried to find out why some women became strong and independent? I was once that sweet, gentle woman. But at some point in life, when you realised that you're the only one that you can rely on, being strong is the only choice you have, you'll grow up overnight...

Mistake most women like you make is that they dont realise is that a man does want you to be all those things, just not with him specifically.

For partners most men prefer women who are more feminine, submissive, and not needy but demonstrate at least some attachment and dependence on them.
Original post by Vikingninja
Good job generalising all men because you don't get asked out. I don't get asked out by girls so do girls not like independent and smart men?Again gj.

why dont you chill the f*** out, hombre
This is a poor question because most men do like smart, strong, independent women.
because most men don't like black women lol

Spoiler

Original post by Nidhoggr
why dont you chill the f*** out, hombre

No.
Original post by Withengar
Look at it this way - people who you want to ask you out will be attracted to the fact that you're strong and smart.

In our twisted culture, women are sometimes expected to be and act a certain way, and if someone breaks that norm, people brainwashed by popular culture will be less likely to be attracted to them or desire to initiate a relationship with them. Don't worry however, it happens for everyone at some point and you shouldn't worry about when it will happen, but how and with whom.

Also, since the stereotypical norm is for men to ask women out, why don't you ask someone out? I understand you might want to be approached, but if you want a relationship, it's only natural to do so. It's not that all people around you don't like who you are or who you might be, but asking someone out can be difficult, especially if they're as strong and as confident.

Excellent post. Yes, I think it's fine for women to ask men out and in my humble experience, this happens more than our cultural norms like to admit.
Even if u were gentle in past... That doesn't mean men didnt sniff that lion nature in you... They will smell that independent nature of u before you urself find out...And don't ask u out... Or if u are in relationship then they will dump u or cheat u... U will end up in a various broken relationship with no fault of urs...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending