The Student Room Group

Big boo boo(i've failed life)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Big white
Not sure i understand the uni grading system....

1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd (all with hons, honours) and then there's a pass.

So if a 1st is like an A (ignoring A*), a 2:2 is a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by jneill
1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd (all with hons, honours) and then there's a pass.

So if a 1st is like an A (ignoring A*), a 2:2 is a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, so i guess a C isn't good....
You'd still be a graduate, and that is generally better for your career prospects than not being a graduate.

It'd be hard to improve upon PQ's advice to you.
Reply 23
Original post by Minerva
You'd still be a graduate, and that is generally better for your career prospects than not being a graduate.

It'd be hard to improve upon PQ's advice to you.

I guess... *sigh

Yea that's right i agree with you, i guess that's the best i can do. So far i've asked one teacher and they said "don't even start me on C3+4 they're outrageously difficult" not sure whether that's true or not, then again maths is really relative to the person.
I guess... *sigh

Yea that's right i agree with you, i guess that's the best i can do. So far i've asked one teacher and they said "don't even start me on C3+4 they're outrageously difficult" not sure whether that's true or not, then again maths is really relative to the person.
Well, up to a point, but from the little I know about the maths syllabus, some of the modules are evil. You mentioned earlier (at least, I think it was you!) that you were thinking of doing some self-teaching - a little is fine; a lot is a big ask and high risk (you need feedback to make sure you are on the right track). Just saying.
Reply 25
Original post by Minerva
Well, up to a point, but from the little I know about the maths syllabus, some of the modules are evil. You mentioned earlier (at least, I think it was you!) that you were thinking of doing some self-teaching - a little is fine; a lot is a big ask and high risk (you need feedback to make sure you are on the right track). Just saying.

I reckon some of the topics are pure evil but so far the start is ok and seems very easy.... but then again that's usually the case xD

Hmmm but i have to take this risk because i want to do maths and when they ask me why i didn't take further maths, the only answers are, my school doesn't offer it or i didn't take it. Obviously i could take just a measly 3 more modules but that's not really going to make much of a difference.

It's all a bet really and it's one i'm willing to take to get a decent maths degree.
Reply 26

Worked out fine for JK Rowling.
And many others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by jneill
Worked out fine for JK Rowling.
And many others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But i guess they knew what they wanted to do right?
On the flipside however, i don't
I reckon some of the topics are pure evil but so far the start is ok and seems very easy.... but then again that's usually the case xD

Hmmm but i have to take this risk because i want to do maths and when they ask me why i didn't take further maths, the only answers are, my school doesn't offer it or i didn't take it. Obviously i could take just a measly 3 more modules but that's not really going to make much of a difference.

It's all a bet really and it's one i'm willing to take to get a decent maths degree.
If your schooll doesn't offer Further Maths, you will not be penalised for not taking it. Clearly if the school does offer it, and you don't take it, it will raise questions. However, your overall grade profile is important too, and spending a lot of time self-teaching could bring those grades down.
I'm not good at Chemistry too but I got from a E to a B by practising loads of past papers? Like I'm not doing good as well but I think a lot of people get super low predicted grades so I dunno...
Reply 30
But i guess they knew what they wanted to do right?
On the flipside however, i don't

You can also get a First and not know what you want to do next. Many people don't. And many (most?) people change career paths during their lifetime anyway...
Reply 31
Original post by Minerva
If your schooll doesn't offer Further Maths, you will not be penalised for not taking it. Clearly if the school does offer it, and you don't take it, it will raise questions. However, your overall grade profile is important too, and spending a lot of time self-teaching could bring those grades down.

Of coruse however i chose to take physics instead and i think i said above in another post? but my physics really did kill me, i tried and spend a year of effort on it and didn't get anywhere.

What's grade profile? (sorry i don't know what these terms mean :/)

Original post by Mnatalie99
I'm not good at Chemistry too but I got from a E to a B by practising loads of past papers? Like I'm not doing good as well but I think a lot of people get super low predicted grades so I dunno...

Ah Chem is a special case where you can be correct but if you don't give the answer they want then you can still get the question wrong. Past papers are crucial and essential to Chem i think personally.
Reply 32
Original post by jneill
You can also get a First and not know what you want to do next. Many people don't. And many (most?) people change career paths during their lifetime anyway...

Yea... i'm not really sure what jobs i can do with a maths degree, stats and finance and business related courses are a no no for me.
Well i mean tbh you'd revise differently for any subject i believe but certainly i think that past papers are definitely a backbone to revision and are most certainly a good way to revise.

No because i believe it wastes time, i might make like a small list to see what i've learnt and what i haven't gone over just yet btu apart from that i feel as if i can waste wayyyy too much time doing stuff like that.

Not sure i understand the uni grading system....

70% or more = 1st class
60% or more = upper 2nd class (2:1)
50% or more = lower 2nd class(2:2)
40% or more = 3rd class
less than 40% = fail
Reply 34
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
70% or more = 1st class
60% or more = upper 2nd class (2:1)
50% or more = lower 2nd class(2:2)
40% or more = 3rd class
less than 40% = fail

I see thanks for the info
Of coruse however i chose to take physics instead and i think i said above in another post? but my physics really did kill me, i tried and spend a year of effort on it and didn't get anywhere.

What's grade profile? (sorry i don't know what these terms mean :/)As in, the grades you have and what subjects they're in :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Minerva
As in, the grades you have and what subjects they're in :smile:

Right so when i have to "declare all my stuff" do i need to put my AS mock grade for physics? or can i just leave that out?(it's not good :tongue:)
Right so when i have to "declare all my stuff" do i need to put my AS mock grade for physics? or can i just leave that out?(it's not good :tongue:)

You don't put mock grades down.
Reply 38
Original post by A-LJLB
You don't put mock grades down.

hmmm. so i don't need to put down physics since they didn't predict me anything?
Reply 39

A mock isn't a qualification. So, no.

hmmm. so i don't need to put down physics since they didn't predict me anything?

Your referee puts your predictions on UCAS not you.

Quick Reply