The Student Room Group

If you can't succeed in high school (or a private school), you won't in society?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ByEeek
Is that a judgement of my life? I left school with no friends having been bullied from Y7 to through to 6th form simply because of my accent. Once I left the toxic confines of school I flourished at university. Turns out I am a really likeable person. So from personal experience I can tell you that how many friends you have at school is no indication of anything.

Yes, I can see how a toxic school environment can hold back someone's natural people skills.
So well done. I guess I'm just wondering if your explanation is the rule or the exception.
Original post by llys
Yes, I can see how a toxic school environment can hold back someone's natural people skills.
So well done. I guess I'm just wondering if your explanation is the rule or the exception.

I think so. School is a hormone charged bubble where fitting in is more important than being yourself. You will see.
Original post by llys

I've found the opposite to be true. People at my school who ignored the rules and were badly behaved have done well. Those who applied themselves have also done well but those who were kind of average seem to fare the worst.

The kids who didn't bother at school aren't afraid of authority and have a lot of confidence which is the main key factor that will determine success - more than talent (just look at successful people in popular culture).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by ByEeek
I think so. School is a hormone charged bubble where fitting in is more important than being yourself. You will see.

Thanks for the moral support, but I'm in my mid 30s now and mostly pretty happy with being weird. :wink:

OP will take heart from your example though. Either way he will have to give it a shot, there is nothing else for it.
Original post by ByEeek

I 1000% agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if people do view your life as unsuccessful, no matter what they think; it doesn't mean it impacts your life. You can be immensely successful but people don't see it; and tbh I think that's what makes you legitimately successful.
You cant let your grades be in charge of your success; after all there are people out there who did really well when it came to grades, yet suffer from depression, stress, anxiety etc and eventually just gave up in life.
On the other hand, there are people out there who failed in school, hell there's people who have never even been to school; yet they're successful and now are mentioned in history books.
I'm not saying everyone is like that, however whatever situation you're in, you're the only one in charge of whether you want to be successful or not. If you have the kind of mindset that grades define your success, then you're really close minded.
Hope this helped :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending