The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing Personal Statement

Hi Everyone,

Im currently starting to write my personal statement and making notes etc ready for when I start my access course in September as theyve said they want our applications for uni ready to send in november.
The statement builder has a section about any reading I may have done to be interested in the subject and I havent done any at all.
I know why Im interested in it and why I want to do it but do I need to sit and read to reference? and if so can anyone recommend anything that I should read?

TIA

S xx
Original post by Mrsneal
Hi Everyone,

Im currently starting to write my personal statement and making notes etc ready for when I start my access course in September as theyve said they want our applications for uni ready to send in november.
The statement builder has a section about any reading I may have done to be interested in the subject and I havent done any at all.
I know why Im interested in it and why I want to do it but do I need to sit and read to reference? and if so can anyone recommend anything that I should read?

TIA

S xx

You don't absolutely need to add reading into it, because MHN is such a vocational course it isn't always expected. I know that I didn't have much enough room in mine because I had a lot of work experience and volunteering to talk about. It's up to you really where the space in your personal statement is better used up. Adding reading that you've done demonstrates your interest in the topic (but make sure it's something you've actually read as you can be asked about it at interview).

I would recommend putting something about your experiences and then backing it up with associated reading, for example 'during my work experience on X ward I became particularly interested in the care of patients with schizophrenia on acute medical wards. Following this I read an article from the Psychiatric Services journal which explained that with the correct adaptations, treatment is equal to that provided to other patients'. This is much better than just saying 'as I am interested in MHN I have read books X, Y and Z' because it shows you are having a learning experience then seeking out the evidence behind the practice you've seen. You could use literally anything and there will likely be an easy to find journal article on Google Scholar. If you're struggling to find articles that match up to your experiences, let me know as I've got access to some journal databases you won't have access to until you start your course.

If you have any further questions I'm happy to help.
Just to add - the PS builder is more geared towards academic subjects than vocational ones. Check the medicine PS advice (linked in my signature below), as that will be applicable to nursing too :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by *Interrobang*
Just to add - the PS builder is more geared towards academic subjects than vocational ones. Check the medicine PS advice (linked in my signature below), as that will be applicable to nursing too :smile:

Thank you xx
Original post by abc_123_
Hi,
Sorry this isn't exactly specific to mental health but I have work experience at a doctor's surgery (although I don't see myself becoming a doctor). What do you think I should include in my personal statement?
Many Thanks xx :smile:

What course are you applying for?
A work experience placement at a doctor's surgery xx (sorry it sounds dumb I want to make a good impression) xx

Sorry, I don't quite understand, are your writing your UCAS personal statement to apply to uni or are you needing a personal statement to apply for work experience at a Dr's surgery (because I've never heard of this being requested before)?
Yea I was asked to write a personal statement for work experience at a doctor's surgery xx

What you put into it really depends what stage of your education you are at, as you might not have much yet. I wouldn't recommend using the personal statement tools on TSR as they are all geared towards university applications and much of it won't be relevant to you.

I assume what they are wanting is more of a covering letter than a personal statement, so stating why you want to do the placement, why it would be beneficial for you and how it would help you in your future career. You could also mention other work experience and volunteering you've done and what you have gained from that, and link it to how you want to develop further during this placement.

Quick Reply

Latest