The Student Room Group

NHS - how will it cope with flood of old Brits coming back from Spain/France?

If Britexit occurred and for various reasons thousands of old Brits (retired) decided to come home to Blightie (reason could be currency fluctuations, pension payments or just worry) would the NHS be able to cope with this huge influx of old people?

Especially since all the medical jobs that would have gone to EU citizens would not no longer be there.

Scroll to see replies

There is no reason to think that all the British expats will start coming home if brexit happens. Anyway I don't think brexit would have any effect anyway on such a decision.

It is true though that if there was a large influx of elderly British expats back to the UK then it would put the NHS under great pressure because elderly people are very expensive to care for.
The first thing to ask: why would a significant number of ex pats come home?

Bit hey, what stops them doing that anyway, and why would all the foreign NHS workers suddenly disappear?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Jammy Duel
The first thing to ask: why would a significant number of ex pats come home?

Bit hey, what stops them doing that anyway, and why would all the foreign NHS workers suddenly disappear?

Posted from TSR Mobile

a) If currency fluctuations are too big for pension to cope with (eg poverty).
b) Might no longer be able to get free medical help in spain or france
c) Just worried about future

Its an unknown.
Original post by FredOrJohn

Its an unknown.

Inherited rights

And I think if they managed to stay out there in 2008 when the GBP USD rate dropped from about 2 to 1.4 pretty rapidly they'll survive. I suggest you also take a look at normal currency fluctuations that can easily be 5-10% over a week or two

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Inherited rights

And I think if they managed to stay out there in 2008 when the GBP USD rate dropped from about 2 to 1.4 pretty rapidly they'll survive. I suggest you also take a look at normal currency fluctuations that can easily be 5-10% over a week or two

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was reports of wide spread poverty in 2008 amongst the Brits abroad.
If this poverty was topped by the removal of Free hospitals then I think we would see a flood of people coming back.

The NHS Brexit spokeswoman left the Brexit camp over NHS stuff.
There was reports of wide spread poverty in 2008 amongst the Brits abroad.
If this poverty was topped by the removal of Free hospitals then I think we would see a flood of people coming back.

The NHS Brexit spokeswoman left the Brexit camp over NHS stuff.

And get I cannot seem to find any indication of significant increases in people returning to Britain in the 2009 data, and you are kindly overlooking the whole inherited rights business, which includes keeping access to free use of hospitals.

Yeah...if you're dissatisfied with the way the campaign is going you change campaign, not sides. Probably more interested in getting back in Cameron's good books.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
And get I cannot seem to find any indication of significant increases in people returning to Britain in the 2009 data, and you are kindly overlooking the whole inherited rights business, which includes keeping access to free use of hospitals.

Yeah...if you're dissatisfied with the way the campaign is going you change campaign, not sides. Probably more interested in getting back in Cameron's good books.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearly you do not read the papers.
100 expats (oldies) leaving EU a day as worries increase:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3513626/Every-day-100-British-expats-quit-Spain-uncertainty-June-s-EU-vote-triggers-exodus-Europe.html

Care to tell me what the ordinary rate is? It's easy to make a story out of nothing by taking things that are already the case and suddenly saying "this is because of brexit!"

It's also worth noting that the coat to the NHS is going to be...zero, look up reciprocal healthcare, any medical procedure performed using the ehic we pay for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Oh no! 100 a day! So much more than the 100k a year from the EU!
Reply 10
Original post by EuanF
Oh no! 100 a day! So much more than the 100k a year from the EU!

The 36,500k a year are nearly all OLD people and thus will need the NHS far more than working age poles.
This is even before anything has happend!

This will be a drain on resources on an over stretched NHS .
They would pay taxes to the UK instead of Spain/France. Also less immigrants will save money to the NHS
I'm pretty sure the same laws (Geneva convention) that allow Europeans who live here to remain here even in the event of Brexit; would apply for expats who live on the continent... Plus anyone who lives there probably wouldn't want to come back; what with the substandard beaches and landscapes, and the pending economic shock!
Speaking as a non-Eu immigrant I can tell you it is ridiculously hard to move here; both my parents are surgeons and it took us 1.5 years to get the opportunity to move here.. This is mad in what world can it be easier for Britain to recruit construction workers than doctors... EU doctors get better pay in their respective member states, I would know; my parents applied all over the place. There is really no pull of doctors into Britain from the EU... Just scare mongering from the remain campaign
Reply 14
The 36,500k a year are nearly all OLD people and thus will need the NHS far more than working age poles.
This is even before anything has happend!

This will be a drain on resources on an over stretched NHS .

36,500k?!?!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by geekface98
Speaking as a non-Eu immigrant I can tell you it is ridiculously hard to move here; both my parents are surgeons and it took us 1.5 years to get the opportunity to move here.. This is mad in what world can it be easier for Britain to recruit construction workers than doctors... EU doctors get better pay in their respective member states, I would know; my parents applied all over the place. There is really no pull of doctors into Britain from the EU... Just scare mongering from the remain campaign

Yes and no. Doctors coming from countries with the same standard as in the UK tend to come from countries with similar pay. (Simply because you need to have had experience in a well equipped hospital.) There are doctors just working in the UK with their families still outside the UK and thus they are able to earn more. And even if you come from the EU, you still have to get all your diplomas accepted which takes around half a year and fulfill the usual NHS requirements (though good doctors anyway want allways to know more). So can't be done without planning either. Then for e.g. Spanish nurses, it is pretty common to work in the UK.
(edited 7 years ago)

Its an unknown.

They dont get free medical help in Spain and France because Spain and France are not stupid like we are.

There is zero reason to think that expats will come flooding back to the UK from their sunny retirement homes
Original post by Nathanielle
Yes and no. Doctors coming from countries with the same standard as in the UK tend to come from countries with similar pay. (Simply because you need to have had experience in a well equipped hospital.) There are doctors just working in the UK with their families still outside the UK and thus they are able to earn more. And even if you come from the EU, you still have to get all your diplomas accepted which takes around half a year and fulfill the usual NHS requirements (though good doctors anyway want allways to know more). So can't be done without planning either. Then for e.g. Spanish nurses, it is pretty common to work in the UK.

You misunderstand fundamentally...

The UK's NHS is an overly litigious employer for doctors, they are defiantly over worked; my parents have a 9-5 job, which ends up being an 5-9 job... I often don't see my parents for days on end.

They get paid peanuts for this compared to my uncle and aunt who have the same circumstances in Paris (while we are in London)... They get 35% higher pay despite having to work from 10-5, work in the public sector, get half the work load and research options that are simply not available here.

The only reason my parents didn't choose France or Germany where doctors are treated better, paid more and respected rather than litigated at every turn; is that they can't speak German or French.

The NHS is really nice for people using it; it's a terrible employer on the other hand... You are sorrily mistaken if you think EU doctors are attracted to come work here

What are the statistics for EU doctors leaving the UK... Bet the remain campaign don't tell you that!

I myself am going to UNI next year to study medicine, there isn't a chance in hell I will work for the NHS, I'd rather train in Australia, USA, Germany, Hungary, France basically anywhere that isn't here!

On the other point of immigration... The GMC (general medical council) took 1 week to equate my parents combined 4 MD's and SD's ; the issue where will the UK's immigration policy not to allow us a visa for over a year and a half,

Think of the people who died due to lack of surgeons while the people at the home office where twiddling their thumbs... On the justification that there is enough migrants; paving layers etc.

you are deluded if you think it is more important to open the doors to cheap labour but close the doors to extremely high skilled HEAVILY required doctors surgeons and nurses!
This is a false argument because they are all British citizens anyway so they have the same entitlements whether we vote Remain or Leave.

Unless Remain are going to guarantee that they will restrict the potential influx by placing controls on British ex pats returning....
Original post by geekface98
You misunderstand fundamentally...

The UK's NHS is an overly litigious employer for doctors, they are defiantly over worked; my parents have a 9-5 job, which ends up being an 5-9 job... I often don't see my parents for days on end.

They get paid peanuts for this compared to my uncle and aunt who have the same circumstances in Paris (while we are in London)... They get 35% higher pay despite having to work from 10-5, work in the public sector, get half the work load and research options that are simply not available here.

The only reason my parents didn't choose France or Germany where doctors are treated better, paid more and respected rather than litigated at every turn; is that they can't speak German or French.

The NHS is really nice for people using it; it's a terrible employer on the other hand... You are sorrily mistaken if you think EU doctors are attracted to come work here

What are the statistics for EU doctors leaving the UK... Bet the remain campaign don't tell you that!

I myself am going to UNI next year to study medicine, there isn't a chance in hell I will work for the NHS, I'd rather train in Australia, USA, Germany, Hungary, France basically anywhere that isn't here!

On the other point of immigration... The GMC (general medical council) took 1 week to equate my parents combined 4 MD's and SD's ; the issue where will the UK's immigration policy not to allow us a visa for over a year and a half,

Think of the people who died due to lack of surgeons while the people at the home office where twiddling their thumbs... On the justification that there is enough migrants; paving layers etc.

you are deluded if you think it is more important to open the doors to cheap labour but close the doors to extremely high skilled HEAVILY required doctors surgeons and nurses!

Yeah, I do know the NHS working hours. The thing is, that as soon as you are fully trained the NHS is not that bad. (Of course as soon as one is in London, the wage comes quickly down to nothing.) BUT the situation is the other European countries was not allways better and so, for German doctors it was interesting to work in the UK, indeed. (And that can come again. There was a time in Germany with young doctors striking, too.)

What I don't understand is your comment, that "it is more important to open the doors to cheap labour but close the doors to extremely high skilled HEAVILY required doctors surgeons and nurses!"?!?! They don't close doors, by being in the EU. They could hire doctors, etc. from a whole range of countries, nobody would oppose. The EU does not oppose at all. You are deluded, to think, it would be difficult for NON-EU doctors to immigrate, because of the EU, it isn't. Without the EU it would only mean, that EVERY doctor, EU or not-EU would have to wait as long as your parents. I really don't get your argument, that getting out of the EU would help the UK to get more doctors? While at the same time your saying, that the UK is not attractive to even its own doctors? (Due to junior doctors, etc. ...)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending