The Student Room Group

Summer resits

Hi,
I am so lost. I found out that I got below 40% in one of my exams for human rights, meaning I failed. However, the policy is if you get over 30% you don't have to retake. I don't know what my exact mark is but I am in a bit of a situation. I haven't seen my family in years so I've booked flights for this summer to see them without being informed that summer retakes take place in July this year instead of August. So if I got below 30 marks I will have to retake my exams but I can't as I won't be in the country. I have emailed my programme leader but got no reply.
What happens if you fail at your first attempt and then don't show up for the retakes in the summer?
Btw, I have passed everything from term 1.
Original post by Evilraccoon
Hi,
I am so lost. I found out that I got below 40% in one of my exams for human rights, meaning I failed. However, the policy is if you get over 30% you don't have to retake. I don't know what my exact mark is but I am in a bit of a situation. I haven't seen my family in years so I've booked flights for this summer to see them without being informed that summer retakes take place in July this year instead of August. So if I got below 30 marks I will have to retake my exams but I can't as I won't be in the country. I have emailed my programme leader but got no reply.
What happens if you fail at your first attempt and then don't show up for the retakes in the summer?

well i this case you should get extenuating circumstances and you'll probably get a rescheduled date when you'll be in the country or have to resit them next year .
Hi,

What happens would depend on your uni, however they won't consider you going home as an acceptable reason for missing the resit.
Original post by jonathanemptage
well i this case you should get extenuating circumstances and you'll probably get a rescheduled date when you'll be in the country or have to resit them next year .

going away doesn't count as extenuating circumstances unless it was to visit a dying relative. Extenuating circumstances are for illness or bereavement.
If you live far enough away you can take the exam in your home country or a nearby one. It costs a good amount (~£300 per exam from what I remember, but it can be done)
Hi,

How many credits was the module worth? Some unis have a policy that you can fail up to 20 credits

If you dont turn up for the retake then 1 of a few things can happen

1. if it is a pass for progression module you will fail the year and have drop out
2. if the module is greater than 20 credits or your uni doesnt have the policy I stated about you will fail the year
3. if it is 20 credits or less and your uni has the policy I mentioned then you should be able to progress to year 2 with no issues

No offence but staying to do the retake is more important then going to see your family (unless they are ill etc) so you should stay tbh I mean youre at uni to get a degree so it should be your priority and also its probably your fault you failed it (unless you have EC) so chances are uni wont have much sympathy for your situation
Reply 6
Original post by madmadmax321
How many credits was the module worth? Some unis have a policy that you can fail up to 20 credits

If you dont turn up for the retake then 1 of a few things can happen

1. if it is a pass for progression module you will fail the year and have drop out
2. if the module is greater than 20 credits or your uni doesnt have the policy I stated about you will fail the year
3. if it is 20 credits or less and your uni has the policy I mentioned then you should be able to progress to year 2 with no issues

No offence but staying to do the retake is more important then going to see your family (unless they are ill etc) so you should stay tbh I mean youre at uni to get a degree so it should be your priority and also its probably your fault you failed it (unless you have EC) so chances are uni wont have much sympathy for your situation

Thanks
I'm in my 2nd year already and the module is worth 30 credits.
Thanks
I'm in my 2nd year already and the module is worth 30 credits.

then chances are if you fail the module and dont attend the resit youll be kicked off the course (even if you have EC for the first attempt as youd still be skipping the resit attempt without a good enough reason)
Original post by jelly1000
going away doesn't count as extenuating circumstances unless it was to visit a dying relative. Extenuating circumstances are for illness or bereavement.

it does if it was booked before you knew the exam or resit period like if you booked before freshers week.
it does if it was booked before you knew the exam or resit period like if you booked before freshers week.

No it doesn't. The resit periods are made available on university websites. Just because no one told OP when it was, doesn't mean the information wasn't available. Full time students are expected to be available full time in order to meet their degree demands, that includes the resit period.
Original post by GoingToBurst
No it doesn't. The resit periods are made available on university websites. Just because no one told OP when it was, doesn't mean the information wasn't available. Full time students are expected to be available full time in order to meet their degree demands, that includes the resit period.

you've miss understood me if he booked before he was accepted or before freshers week when he would have got the information then he would get ec at least he would where I went.

it's like in a job if you booked a holiday then got offered the job they would honour that booking like a uni will.
you've miss understood me if he booked before he was accepted or before freshers week when he would have got the information then he would get ec at least he would where I went.

it's like in a job if you booked a holiday then got offered the job they would honour that booking like a uni will.

I can't see the uni doing that but even if they do that means the op would have to wait until the next examination period to do the paper which would be in may of next year so they would have to take a year out effectively which is useless too

I haven't misunderstood at all. OP is in second year, I very much doubt they booked this trip before they knew they were going to university 2 years ago.
Original post by GoingToBurst
I haven't misunderstood at all. OP is in second year, I very much doubt they booked this trip before they knew they were going to university 2 years ago.

I hadn't realised that in that case he made really dumb decision and he deserves to lose his money.
Hi,

Hi Evilraccoon,

Does your University have a centralized administration team? If they do, they will be able to help you likely a lot easier that the Programme Leader, who's focus would normally be on the academic provision of the whole programme. Also, they may not yet have your official result yet either depending when your exam boards take place.

How many 'chances' do you get at a module?

Dave (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending