The Student Room Group

If feminists don't want to be criticized as a single entity...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
It often feels like so much of what feminists say to defend themselves should come with a "*" at the end of it, and a little explanation in small print. The "feminism just means believing in equality" buzzphrase should definitely come with it. And the small print should read "*various kinds of very specific and often contradicting concepts of what equality means, typically beyond simply believing in equal rights (as those have already been achieved), and instead about influencing how people behave and think".

I love how feminists who clearly haven't read the OP are automatically coming out with the clichés I took apart in it. So predictable.

I have read the OP and it's just ******** so I couldn;t be arsed responding to it.

You're basing the quoted statement based on the fact that there are "feminists" believing in female > male rather than female=male. There is absolutely no 'contradicting concepts of what equality means', it is ****ing equality between me, you and every other person in the world, and it simply has not been met yet which is why we still have equality. The last line 'influencing how people behaive and think' is an aim of feminism because any feminist would want people to think that men and women should be equal. Your entire opening thread can be torn apart easily because you make stupid assumptions as to what feminism is based off of notable "feminists" or feminazis on tumblr, neither of which promote gender equality (aka feminism).

Since you clearly do not believe in feminism, you don't believe in gender equality, therefore you are a bigot. So I wont be responding to your junk anymore tyvm.
But regardless, feminists will typically come back with the "not all feminists" line. This suggests that feminists feel that one needs to make this distinction when saying "feminists" in order to understand that one isn't talking about all feminists, so we can conclude that when feminists say "feminists" without making a distinction, they mean feminists as a single group.

They may not have made the distinction but that doesn't mean they don't believe it.

Some may want to make it while others may not.
Reply 42
Original post by SHallowvale
They may not have made the distinction but that doesn't mean they don't believe it.

Some may want to make it while others may not.

But many make the distinction simply when it is convenient for them, which is the problem.
Reply 43
Original post by Craig1998
I have read the OP and it's just ******** so I couldn;t be arsed responding to it.

You're basing the quoted statement based on the fact that there are "feminists" believing in female > male rather than female=male. There is absolutely no 'contradicting concepts of what equality means', it is ****ing equality between me, you and every other person in the world, and it simply has not been met yet which is why we still have equality. The last line 'influencing how people behaive and think' is an aim of feminism because any feminist would want people to think that men and women should be equal. Your entire opening thread can be torn apart easily because you make stupid assumptions as to what feminism is based off of notable "feminists" or feminazis on tumblr, neither of which promote gender equality (aka feminism).

Since you clearly do not believe in feminism, you don't believe in gender equality, therefore you are a bigot. So I wont be responding to your junk anymore tyvm.

What a genius.

Yes, there can be no differences in the opinion on what the meaning of equality is. That's why feminists never debate against each other /s.
But many make the distinction simply when it is convenient for them, which is the problem.

King, please don't respond to the above post. Children like this are clearly not worth speaking to. I doubt even if you sat down with him for hours he'd see the issues with what he is typing.

Also, I'd just like to say how hilariously, ironically bigoted those last two sentences he posted are. Lol.

This is fundamentally the absolute crux of the issue.

People will identify as different forms of 'feminist' arbitrarily to suit their own personal agenda (i.e. not one based on generic equality) and then if you disagree with whatever they call feminist at that time you are the nasty, immoral, bigot!
Reply 46
It's not a black and white definition, because people's concept of "equality" is not black and white. Just as I articulated in the OP. If feminism is simply about equal rights, it is superfluous, as it has no further use in this country.

Equality to men = whatever rights men have, women should have as well. I don't see how you can have an opinion on a right that a person has, they either have that right or they don't.

Sure it does. For example, women cannot serve on the frontlines in this country. That's not equality.
Reply 47
Original post by z33
Equality to men = whatever rights men have, women should have as well. I don't see how you can have an opinion on a right that a person has, they either have that right or they don't.

Sure it does. For example, women cannot serve on the frontlines in this country. That's not equality.

I have to say, women not being able to serve on the front lines isn't exactly the issue feminists seem most concerned about. They seem far more concerned about lads mags or stay at home mothers. In fact, I've seen MRAs complain about this issue far more than feminists.
Reply 48
Original post by TorpidPhil
This is fundamentally the absolute crux of the issue.

People will identify as different forms of 'feminist' arbitrarily to suit their own personal agenda (i.e. not one based on generic equality) and then if you disagree with whatever they call feminist at that time you are the nasty, immoral, bigot!

Yes exactly. A feminist will tell you feminism has many different types, and yet if you criticise any of the specific ideas they believe in they will tell you can't be a feminist. Or they will tell you feminism is just about believing in equality, and then if your conception of equality is different to theirs they will tell you you're not a feminist. It's whatever is convenient for them.
Original post by TorpidPhil
King, please don't respond to the above post. Children like this are clearly not worth speaking to. I doubt even if you sat down with him for hours he'd see the issues with what he is typing.

Also, I'd just like to say how hilariously, ironically bigoted those last two sentences he posted are. Lol.

There's nothing in it for me.

Feminism = gender equality

That is literally the definition of feminism, gender equality.

If someone doesn't believe in feminism, they are a bigot.

Btw, it is pretty late so I'm tired, may mean that the idea which I'm typing may not seem that coherent, but I know what my beliefs about feminism are
Reply 50
There's nothing in it for me.

Feminism = gender equality

That is literally the definition of feminism, gender equality.

If someone doesn't believe in feminism, they are a bigot.

Btw, it is pretty late so I'm tired, may mean that the idea which I'm typing may not seem that coherent, but I know what my beliefs about feminism are

Tiredness is no excuse.
oh get your f*cking head out of your white privileged ass.

you're scum.
Reply 52
I have to say, women not being able to serve on the front lines isn't exactly the issue feminists seem most concerned about. They seem far more concerned about lads mags or stay at home mothers. In fact, I've seen MRAs complain about this issue far more than feminists.

That doesn't mean it isn't an issue :lol:
The main issue is the inequality in writing like there's things a man can do, that a woman cannot do by LAW. That's the inequality that has to be tackled.

It is for equal rights to men by law. However in our society there are still problems with the perception of certain situations changing depending on the sex of those involved. For example, men who sleep around are treated much better than women who sleep around in society. I think it is right to tackle issues in society like this as well.

But I agree sometimes it does go a bit overboard when everything is seen as oppression. But the main definition still stands.
Original post by CurleysWife
oh get your f*cking head out of your white privileged ass.

you're scum.

**** yourself.

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
**** yourself.

⚔🛡⚔~Nothing happens to anyone that he is not fitted by nature to bear - Maximus Decimus Meridius~⚔🛡⚔

stop stalking me
Reply 55
Original post by z33
That doesn't mean it isn't an issue :lol:
The main issue is the inequality in writing like there's things a man can do, that a woman cannot do by LAW. That's the inequality that has to be tackled.

It is for equal rights to men by law. However in our society there are still problems with the perception of certain situations changing depending on the sex of those involved. For example, men who sleep around are treated much better than women who sleep around in society. I think it is right to tackle issues in society like this as well.

But I agree sometimes it does go a bit overboard when everything is seen as oppression. But the main definition still stands.

But the problem is that everyone has different ideas of what "equality" means, and feminism doesn't just mean "equal rights".
Tiredness is no excuse.

This is you using an excuse that you have nothing left to say to support inequality, so you'd rather just pick apart something that barely even matters, rather than the issue here of gender equality.
Reply 57
When you have feminists such as Jess Philips who refuses to allow a Men's Day to recognise higher rates of male suicide and men's risk to prostate cancer. It's really hard to take any feminist seriously. I generally switch off after reading 'white privilege' or 'patriarchy' in any block of text or article.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
This is you using an excuse that you have nothing left to say to support inequality, so you'd rather just pick apart something that barely even matters, rather than the issue here of gender equality.

I don't support inequality. Stop making straw men. Although perhaps I don't support an authoritarian idea of equality which you may have.
Reply 59
But the problem is that everyone has different ideas of what "equality" means, and feminism doesn't just mean "equal rights".

It does.
Screenshot_20160612-140741.jpg

See dat word^ "rights"... ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending