The Student Room Group

Would you give up sexual attraction for life?

Anon please.

Asexuality is a sexual identity about 1% of people have. It is simply defined as never experiencing any sexual attraction to anyone else.

Within the asexual community there are people who are grey-asexual and demisexual. These are people who live asexual lives for the most part but experience sexual attraction in limited or specific circumstances. Such people are familiar with the world of asexuality and sexuality.

I recently asked eight demi/grey members of the asexual community if they would rather be 100% asexual or 100% sexual.
5 said they would rather be asexual and not experience sexual attraction at all.
2 said they would rather be fully sexual.
1 couldn't decide.

Now I bring this question to you. It doesn't matter whether you are straight, bi, homo, or anything else, so long as you don't identify as asexual. Sexuals often have difficulty imagining what it would even be like to live a life without sexual attraction, so are disadvantaged in comparison to demis/greys who can see both worlds. I'm curious to see how you might answer this question.

So I ask you,
Would you rather stay sexual for the rest of your life or would you want to become asexual and experience no sexual attraction for the rest of your life?
I would rather stay sexual...

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't do the sex or be sexually attractive to someone. Personally, I'd feel incomplete!
Reply 2
Definitely not
Reply 3
I think that you are right in the sense that I know that I won't ever be able to feel what it is like for those who are demi and grey-A, but I think I would still prefer to be sexual-thought I would love to see the best of both worlds! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I would rather stay sexual...

I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't do the sex or be sexually attractive to someone. Personally, I'd feel incomplete!

Same here! :smile:
I'd stay sexual.
Definitely stay sexual
I know this question isn't aimed at me, but as someone on the ace-spectrum, I think it would be a lot 'easier' to be/stay sexual, simply because the majority of people in the world are in one way or another and it would make relationships a lot simpler. However in terms of wanting to be either way, idk. Probably still prefer to be sexual.
Reply 8
I'd be happy giving up any sexual desires I have as I don't really have any or much to begin with and never have. I often wonder if I am asexual or if its maybe things that have happened in my past that have made me have no sexual desires but either way, its not got in the way of my life or relationship so I'd happily go without.
Original post by Anonymous
Anon please.

Asexuality is a sexual identity about 1% of people have. It is simply defined as never experiencing any sexual attraction to anyone else.

Within the asexual community there are people who are grey-asexual and demisexual. These are people who live asexual lives for the most part but experience sexual attraction in limited or specific circumstances. Such people are familiar with the world of asexuality and sexuality.

I recently asked eight demi/grey members of the asexual community if they would rather be 100% asexual or 100% sexual.
5 said they would rather be asexual and not experience sexual attraction at all.
2 said they would rather be fully sexual.
1 couldn't decide.

Now I bring this question to you. It doesn't matter whether you are straight, bi, homo, or anything else, so long as you don't identify as asexual. Sexuals often have difficulty imagining what it would even be like to live a life without sexual attraction, so are disadvantaged in comparison to demis/greys who can see both worlds. I'm curious to see how you might answer this question.

So I ask you,
Would you rather stay sexual for the rest of your life or would you want to become asexual and experience no sexual attraction for the rest of your life?

I don't identify as asexual. I do, however, understand how someone can be asexual, as I understand how someone can be homosexual, but I personally would not want to be asexual.

Quick Reply

Latest