The Student Room Group

So gay people are now being targeted by Islamic extremists in their own countries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SaucissonSecCy
So you support wars in the middle east that will and have killed many innocents, cause a never ending wellspring of terrorists, which are futile and unwinnable long term?

Except we are winning this war. People like you claimed we would find it impossible to roll back ISIS, that we should just allow them to finish off the Yezidis and Kurds and sit back with our arms folded.

We were right and you were wrong. Of the 31,000 killed in Western airstrikes about 3% are civilians, far less civilians than would have been killed if those 30,000 terrorists had been allowed to live.

Frankly, the idea that we should have just allowed the Iraqi state to collapse in mid-2014 is the kind of childish nonsense you hear from the kind of person who has never had to make a hard decision in their life.

And would I right in thinking that you see Trump or Farage or anyone who wants to secure our borders as a bigot or fascist?

What are you babbling about? I support an Australian-style points system. You sound hysterical, calm down.

If you wanted gay people to be safer, you would not advocate wars and open borders and immigration, all of which worsen the problem.

Yup, because ISIS never killed a gay person before August 2014. And of course what you are proposing is that we should leave all those gay people in ISIS controlled areas, all the Yezidis, all the Kurds and Christians, to be slaughtered. So your proclaimed concern for gay people's safety is dishonest at best
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Thutmose-III
I'm not worried. I grieve for their deaths but this changes nothing. We've clipped 30,000 of those f*ckers in airstrikes, and we'll kill another 1000 over the next week as government officials order retaliation for this crime.

Am I included in this collective pronoun? Because I don't remember personally dropping any bombs or giving any orders to do so.
Bang on find another muslim thread :woo:

Spoiler

Muslim attitudes have changed since the 7th century. Okay the religious scriptures has played a part in homosexual discrimination, it has also been culture - as Islam has a strong and Arabian core influence. However these have changed, as we have moved towards the modern era's.
Except we are winning this war. People like you claimed we would find it impossible to roll back ISIS, that we should just allow them to finish off the Yezidis and Kurds and sit back with our arms folded.

We were right and you were wrong. Of the 31,000 killed in Western airstrikes about 3% are civilians, far less civilians than would have been killed if those 30,000 terrorists had been allowed to live.

Frankly, the idea that we should have just allowed the Iraqi state to collapse in mid-2014 is the kind of childish nonsense you hear from the kind of person who has never had to make a hard decision in their life.

What are you babbling about? I support an Australian-style points system. You sound hysterical, calm down.

Yup, because ISIS never killed a gay person before August 2014. And of course what you are proposing is that we should leave all those gay people in ISIS controlled areas, all the Yezidis, all the Kurds and Christians, to be slaughtered. So your proclaimed concern for gay people's safety is dishonest at best

I'd rather argue about points I'd actually made, not have false ones attributed to me. I'll admit I did it to you over immigration, but so many of the political class and media and public have supported wars and open borders for so long, it's hard to believe anyone thinks anything different at times.

The first section is just sod all to do with anything I'm talking about. The last section is just incomprehensible, I'm not talking about gay rights abroad, I'm not a utopian, or a 'we are the worlder', I am an isolationist who believes in protecting our own civlization at all costs, and only war as a last resort to do that, not out of foolish zealotry or internationalism.

I will come back to this and add more about what I meant.
Original post by Oblivion99
Muslim attitudes have changed since the 7th century. Okay the religious scriptures has played a part in homosexual discrimination, it has also been culture - as Islam has a strong and Arabian core influence. However these have changed, as we have moved towards the modern era's.

Nope.
Original post by Jebedee
Am I included in this collective pronoun? Because I don't remember personally dropping any bombs or giving any orders to do so.

We as in the citizens of the UK and their elected government, and indeed we as in all the countries of the civilised world that have joined in this fight, including the UK, USA, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, France, Canada, Australia, Italy, New Zealand, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Greece, Lebanon, Spain, Singapore and others.

It is no concern of mine if you don't feel any solidarity with the Kurds, the Yezidis, with the gay victims of ISIS, with the slaughtered Christians of Iraq, with the solid majority of citizens in those countries and human beings across the planet who support this fight.
Original post by fatima1998

Spoiler

About Islamic extremists actually, but if you want to conflate them with Muslims then go ahead.

And is that all you're worried about after this shooting: 'another muslim thread'?

Spoiler

Rep-whore. :hand:
Original post by The Epicurean

And here is a post of mine challenging the common interpretation of the Quran in regards to homosexuality:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052083&page=8&p=64507571#post64507571

Checked the link, and tbh, you have some interesting points. However, I disagree with some. It does not mean that same sex marriage is allowed btw.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy

The first section is just sod all to do with anything I'm talking about. The last section is just incomprehensible

If you can't see the relevance, and you find it all a bit incomprehensible, then clearly you have issues with reading comprehension, and with basic logic and disputation. As such, I don't see it's really to my profit to further engage with you

I will come back to this and add more about what I meant.

Please don't. I'm really not that interested in what you have to say
It doesn't matter what it was about, it matters what it was used to justify. Christians and Jews took that story to justify the prohibition of all homosexual conduct, whether consensual or not. The Muslims spoke of the story of the Lottites in that context. And the view that it prohibits all such conduct is the very clear, mainstream and continuous interpretation since the 7th century

There is plenty of material in both the Torah and the NT (speaking purely from a Christian perspective) which can be used to condemn same sex relationships but this story should not be part of it. To present it as a story of homosexual condemnation when the Torah itself says different is downright blasphemous and misleading.
Let me put your mind at ease; the absolute last thing I'm worried about on a day like today is "blaspheming" against a non-existent sky dictator

As for the Torah, I'm sorry but the story of Lot is used in many rabbinical traditions as an example against same-sex conduct. And anyone familiar with the intellectual and popular culture and allusions of the 7th century world will know that Sodom and Gamorrah was shorthand for homosexual sex
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Rep-whore. :hand:

Not talking to you :huff:
Let me put your mind at ease; the absolute last thing I'm worried about on a day like today is "blaspheming" against a non-existent sky dictator

No, but Muslims should be concerned about it, surely? Misrepresenting God by applying a false meaning to a story would probably go against the Qu'ran
Not talking to you :huff:

Your loss. :h:
If you can't see the relevance, and you find it all a bit incomprehensible, then clearly you have issues with reading comprehension, and with basic logic and disputation. As such, I don't see it's really to my profit to further engage with you

Please don't. I'm really not that interested in what you have to say

You don't have to act b-itchy to fulfill a stereotype you know. Feel good that you made an argument against points fictionally attributed to me.
Indeed many Muslims are concerned about "blasphemy". We saw that "concern" expressed to the poor victims of the Charlie Hebdo massacre

Misrepresenting God by applying a false meaning to a story would probably go against the Qu'ran

There is no such misrepresentation. Whatever the story said, in the 7th century Sodom and Gamorrah was shorthand for homosexual conduct. In fact, it still was 1000 years later.
Indeed many Muslims are concerned about "blasphemy". We saw that "concern" expressed to the poor victims of the Charlie Hebdo massacre

There is no such misrepresentation. Whatever the story said, in the 7th century Sodom and Gamorrah was shorthand for homosexual conduct. In fact, it still was 1000 years later.

What Rabbi's say and write has usually been different from what God has said, if they were concordant Jesus wouldn't have had to condemn the traditional Jewish leaders of his day for replacing God's traditions with their own traditions. If you still don't believe me here is the quote from the biblical book of Ezekiel (which came considerably earlier than Islam)

Ezekiel 16:49 "'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
Original post by Grand High Witch
About Islamic extremists actually, but if you want to conflate them with Muslims then go ahead.

And is that all you're worried about after this shooting: 'another muslim thread'?

In every Islamic country, gay people will always be targeted no matter how modern some muslims are! Counties like saudi Arabia, pakistan, Afghanistan and more are against gayism because its against the quran... there are muslims in muslim countries who are not against and thus maybe gay but the people who follows quran will always be against :redface: myself have no issues with gayism but if i live in other country and talking about gayism, they would reject all thr facts and saying its haram :redface: in Islamic countries most people are extreme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending