The Student Room Group

I think Britain is going to remain in the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
You say that as if migration is a bad thing...

And for net migration we are ranked 38th in the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

13.2% of UK's Population are Immigrants
Original post by GeorgeMillerr
13.2% of UK's Population are Immigrants

And?

= 7.5 million. With 13+ million Brits abroad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
And?

= 7.5 million. With 13+ million Brits abroad.

We will lose our heritage, more and more foreigners are coming everyday, Even the mayor of london is a foreigner
The brits abroad are mainly in USA and Australia, those are lands build by immigrants
(edited 7 years ago)
We will lose our heritage, more and more foreigners are coming everyday, Even the mayor of london is a foreigner
The brits abroad are mainly in USA and Australia, those are lands build by immigrants

Heritage? So you are anti-immigration of any kind. Great.

BTW the ex-major of London is Turkish. Also his wife is half Indian sikh.
And Farage's current wife is German, his ex is Irish.

Oh, and those lands seem to be doing ok...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Fear is a good response to uncertainty, its benefited humans for millions of years. Thats the reason we don't jump off cliffs in the dark and hoping the water is deep enough and not crash onto rocks. Leavers have no idea how deep the water is or where the rocks are.

WTO is a human construct, I pretty sure the EU has the clout to change the rules if they were motivated enough and there is not a lot Britain outside the EU can do. Might is right.

you're summing up the remain campaign perfectly
What British people think, vs the facts.
13418858_10100297265472265_8202994817999413763_n.jpg

The difference between perception and fact could cost the REMAIN campaign dear.

The Perils of Perception and the EU

The full presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/IpsosMORI/european-union-the-perils-of-perception
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
you're summing up the remain campaign perfectly

Do you agree with @GeorgeMillerr above?
Original post by jneill
Do you agree with @GeorgeMillerr above?

do you agree with david cameron and his war world 3 predictions?
Original post by jneill
What British people think, vs the facts.
13418858_10100297265472265_8202994817999413763_n.jpg

The difference between perception and fact could cost the Leave campaign dear.

The Perils of Perception and the EU

The full presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/IpsosMORI/european-union-the-perils-of-perception

I would have thought that works the other way and it's the Remain campaign that have an uphill struggle to try to get the true facts across - for example, on immigration and welfare, where as the chart shows, people's belief about these things are wildly exaggerated.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I would have thought that works the other way and it's the Remain campaign that have an uphill struggle to try to get the true facts across - for example, on immigration and welfare, where as the chart shows, people's belief about these things are wildly exaggerated.

That's what I meant to say! (Doh! I've edited now...)
do you agree with david cameron and his war world 3 predictions?

I agree the EU has contributed to post-war European stability. Yes.
Reply 411
Original post by jneill

Serbia? Bosnia? Ukraine?
Original post by jneill

there is no proof of that. statism doesn't prevent national tensions. just look what happened with the post-yugoslav. state and the wars involving bosnia and kosovo with the croats and the serbs. they were united by a state (and the EU is basically a state) but it did nothing).

the only things that will contribute the peace are either free trade or democracy. we need democracy via independence, but if the EU doesn't want to free trade with us when we want to free trad with them, then it is *them* that do not want peace and stability.
Makes it harder to understand them and you don't know what they are talking about, they could be commenting on you

Why do you need to understand what they're talking about unless they're talking to you?
Original post by EuanF
Serbia? Bosnia? Ukraine?

Are not in EU.
there is no proof of that. statism doesn't prevent national tensions. just look what happened with the post-yugoslav. state and the wars involving bosnia and kosovo with the croats and the serbs. they were united by a state (and the EU is basically a state) but it did nothing).

the only things that will contribute the peace are either free trade or democracy. we need democracy via independence, but if the EU doesn't want to free trade with us when we want to free trad with them, then it is *them* that do not want peace and stability.

The rise of nationalism post-Tito was the factor there. Fanatic nationalism is never a good thing... is it?
Reply 416
Original post by jneill
Are not in EU.

Tell me, what was Euromaidan?
Original post by jneill
The rise of nationalism post-Tito was the factor there. Fanatic nationalism is never a good thing... is it?

the EU is just going to promote that same kind of nationalism though, at this rate. if you have eastern european free-flow immigration, then there is obviously going to be a reaction based on nationalism contra-internationalism. this is why you shouldn't have free movement from western to eastern europe, not because of culture, but because of general demographic conflicts for things like jobs, living space and so on. the EU, therefore, isn't going to promote stability - it will and is promoting instability. to suggest that the EU, today, is promoting good relations with the eastern european states within the EU is nuts. do you really think that this huge influx of romanians and (especially) poles is really going to make the UK more sympathetic to the concerns of these nations? why? and when sweden and germany are allowing *millions* of middle eastern economic migrants, with them now having the potential to get EU passports in mere years, how on earth is this going to make us more friendly towards germany and sweden when it is going to mean that we are going to get *more* mass migration, but from even worse cultures in this case? the EU is nothing but a tug of war between (now) very different countries.

only free trade and independence (democracy) can secure stability because it gives nations incentives to co-operate internationally. the EU promotes neither when you think about it. it is merely going to promote struggles between nations. both economic and social.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by EuanF
Tell me, what was Euromaidan?

Go on enlighten the thread - you know you want to.
Reply 419
Original post by jneill
Go on enlighten the thread - you know you want to.

Euromaidan was a wave of demonstrations and civil unrest in Ukraine, which began on the night of 21 November 2013 with public protests in Maidan Nezalezhnosti ("Independence Square") in Kiev, demanding closer European integration.

The EU tried to plant its flag in another sovereign nation, causing it to become destabilised and ultimately have a portion of it annexed by Russia.

How much it contributes to peace.

http://www.thecommentator.com/article/5596/russia_s_in_the_wrong_but_the_eu_destabilised_ukraine
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10853278/The-EUs-to-blame-for-the-crisis-in-Ukraine.html
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/07/sergei-lavrov-russia-stabilise-ukraine-west
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending