The Student Room Group

So gay people are now being targeted by Islamic extremists in their own countries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
Your loss. :h:

You ignored me in the other thread :huff: i apologised to you and you said noting :angry: how rude :talkhand:

Spoiler

Original post by The Epicurean
The BBC has stated:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-36510172

Homophobia within the Muslim community is something that needs to be challenged.

The fact is that there is room for acceptance of homosexuality within Islam. There is no verse within the Quran which explicitly condemns homosexuality. I think in light of this event (which sources appear to point towards Islamic extremism), more needs to be done within the Muslim community to tackle the issue of homophobia and serious discussions need to take place over Islamic interpretations in regards to sexuality.

There are lots.
Gayism. I like that. Gayism is better than paedophilia. I'll say that much, because I'm magnanimous like that.
Original post by loveleest
There are lots.

Someone said this to me before and so I asked them to post such a verse. Here is a link to my reply:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052083&page=8&p=64507571#post64507571
Original post by metasysta

Personally, I'm skeptical that it was a specifically homophobic attack. If the shooter was an Islamic extremist, they could just be attacking the western ideology.

And they just happened to attack a gay club? It was pretty well known for being one, so coincidence is less likely.
Original post by fatima1998
Bang on find another muslim thread :woo:

Spoiler

Is there something wrong with addressing an issue?
Original post by Thutmose-III
He has been identified as Muslim.

How do you 'identify' someone as a Muslim?
Reply 47
Is there any evidence that the attacker was Muslim? Let's say he was, is that an excuse to label all Muslims as potential terrorists who want to 'invade' Europe? If the attacker is a non-Muslim, he will be referred to as a 'lone wolf' who suffers from 'mental problems'. On the other hand, if he is a Muslim, mass hysteria will ensue. 'The Muslims are invading us'...etc.

Western hypocrisy and double-standards. Nothing new.
And THIS is why we need to take homophobic hate crime seriously. All too often whenever a concern is raised it is dismissed as being overly PC, anti-free speech, or people just being too sensitive. But the truth is that homophobia is real, homophobic violence is real, it happens every day and this is the most extreme end of it. Hopefully there is an investigation into the background of this terrorist and, if it turns out that the relevent agencies were or should reasonably have been aware of his violently homophobic views, many questions asked about why he was not monitored or better yet arrested/deported.
You ignored me in the other thread :huff: i apologised to you and you said noting :angry: how rude :talkhand:

Spoiler

I didn't see it.

In every Islamic country, gay people will always be targeted no matter how modern some muslims are! Counties like saudi Arabia, pakistan, Afghanistan and more are against gayism because its against the quran... there are muslims in muslim countries who are not against and thus maybe gay but the people who follows quran will always be against :redface: myself have no issues with gayism but if i live in other country and talking about gayism, they would reject all thr facts and saying its haram :redface: in Islamic countries most people are extreme

Homosexuality*.
Original post by Saoirse:3
And THIS is why we need to take homophobic hate crime seriously. All too often whenever a concern is raised it is dismissed as being overly PC, anti-free speech, or people just being too sensitive. But the truth is that homophobia is real, homophobic violence is real, it happens every day and this is the most extreme end of it. Hopefully there is an investigation into the background of this terrorist and, if it turns out that the relevent agencies were or should reasonably have been aware of his violently homophobic views, many questions asked about why he was not monitored or better yet arrested/deported.

This.

This attack was the worst attack on a gay bar since 1973 where an arsonist murdered 32 people.
Original post by Thutmose-III
I'm not worried. I grieve for their deaths but this changes nothing. We've clipped 30,000 of those f*ckers in airstrikes, and we'll kill another 1000 over the next week as government officials order retaliation for this crime.

I'm incredibly sad the West has suffered another attack, and as a gay guy of course makes me angry. But it doesn't change the basic calculus; we're going to keep steamrolling over these losers until they've lost all of their territory, then we'll hand them over to the Iraqis to be tortured and killed. No terrorist attack can stop that now.

You're language shows your true colours. Bigotry is acceptable coming from a gay person to neoliberals. 'Them' as an indiscriminate group who can be given the most sickest treatment imaginable, and don't talk shite about how you don't want innocent people to suffer and they don't in your endless wars. This is the face of modern social and ecomomic liberalism, which is oh-so morally superior and high minded. A bit of collateral to gays in a war against nonces is basically the same. Karma happens, be careful your bloodlust is not returned in kind.

Your percentage is wrong, when we don't refer to 2014, I don't know what relevance that has, I was referring to Iraq, obviously, but even if it wasn't I trust you wouldn't accept any such 'collateral' on anything you cherish.
Original post by loveleest
Is there something wrong with addressing an issue?

I have :rolleyes: but this issue is not going to be solved :redface: its rather going to create a war in this thread :rolleyes:
Original post by Saoirse:3

And we don't take seriously the rights of Palestinians or innocent people who died in Iraq, because they come from value systems not the same as western neoliberals. Listen to how this guy Thutmose talks about them, it is hate filled towards a race and culture, and would never be permitted if not from the mouth of an affronted gay person. This is how horrible western neoliberalism is. They are a pack of hypocrites.
Original post by Happy97
If the attacker is a non-Muslim, he will be referred to as a 'lone wolf' who suffers from 'mental problems'. On the other hand, if he is a Muslim, mass hysteria will ensue. 'The Muslims are invading us'...etc.

Western hypocrisy and double-standards. Nothing new.

You assume what would happen if the attacker was a non-Muslim based on limited instances where that has been the case, and then use that to generalise the West (an irony you're unlikely to be able to appreciate).
Original post by Trapz99
There is absolutely no confirmation that the attacker was Muslim as of yet. It is definitely possible but let's wait another few hours until the identity is released.

Ok now it appears that the suspect is named Omar Siddiqui Mateen, an American of Afghan descent. It's quite likely that he was Muslim.
Original post by Hydeman
I didn't see it.

Homosexuality*.

Exactly you did not see it :colone:
Why the title says gay :colone: plus it takes longer to type and I am on my phone lying on the bed typing with one hand :colonhash:
Original post by Trapz99
Ok now it appears that the suspect is named Omar Siddiqui Mateen, an American of Afghan descent. It's quite likely that he was Muslim.

How does that make him Muslim?? He could be of any religion.
Why the title says gay :colone:

'Gay' is right. 'Gayism' isn't. Nonsensical English rules for you. :tongue:

plus it takes longer to type and I am on my phone lying on the bed typing with one hand :colonhash:

Use predictive text. There are plenty of decent keyboard apps out there to make the task of typing on a phone easier; I'm using one now. :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Oblivion99
If the gunman hasn't been identified as Muslim, do not portray him as one. Mass shootings in America are carried out more by white people than actual muslims - quite the surprise.

Mass shootings everywhere, especially in America and Muslim lands are carried out by Christian American males more than anyone else.

Quick Reply