The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 2 (resit) CHEM2 10th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sexybadman
Just curious which centres have you already tried for so i know not to try them lol ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heathland Private school in Accrington and Pembrokeshire college
Yeah, I tried every single one on their list for Lancashire and only literally one let me sit exams as a private candidate so I wouldn't recommend looking on the AQA website at all
Its so annoying, i hope we can find a center :frown:. I wish my current school just let us resit As and A2s. There letting us resit the A2s but not As levels like wtf srsly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asyes
Yea ur right, that means i only completed half of the mechanism, so i should only lose 2 marks. Everything else i wrote the same as u

Hi,

Yeah they was tricky wording in the question but after it said that they added cold water to form a mixture of alcohols I clicked on about needing to attach the :O-S=OO-H can't draw structure lol - but yeah you'll probz only lose 1/2 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is everyone feeling about CHEM4 do you think it will be hard or easy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cutelady
How is everyone feeling about CHEM4 do you think it will be hard or easy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love CHEM4, and tbh I always find it easy apart from the occasional buffers question.
I wrote it wud produce chloric acid as nahclo contains hclo and when react with water forms chloric acid which is acidic and toxic and h30+

And has someone made the unoficial marks scheme yet
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Shabaz77
I wrote it wud produce chloric acid as nahclo contains hclo and when react with water forms chloric acid which is acidic and toxic and h30+

And has someone made the unoficial marks scheme yet

Salaam Shabaz.

I said it would form NaOH and Cl2 via the following reaction: NaClO + HCl = NaOH and Cl2. Not sure if that's right though energetically.
Hi,

I saw no mention of a eqm in the Q - however - I'm wondering if it would give marks for saying hcl is corrosive ? As I've seen that awarded in the past

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there an unofficial mark scheme
Was just wondering for that identifying the alcohol where people have put butan 1 ol and butan 2 ol if they would accept primary and secondary alcohol? I have a major problem with not reading questions and just completely skipping facts they give you. I made so many stupid mistakes from not reading the questions and I'm really kicking myself over it because if I read them the paper wouldn't have been too bad.
Original post by tayyabs17
Hey does anyone know how many marks in total question 9 was?

If my memory serves me right it was 19.

Section B was 8&9 and it totaled 30 marks. One of the two questions was definitely 11 marks and the other 19 marks, I'm 100% certain about that, I just can't remember which way around, but I think it was the 19 marker.
Original post by KennedyTonks
Was just wondering for that identifying the alcohol where people have put butan 1 ol and butan 2 ol if they would accept primary and secondary alcohol? I have a major problem with not reading questions and just completely skipping facts they give you. I made so many stupid mistakes from not reading the questions and I'm really kicking myself over it because if I read them the paper wouldn't have been too bad.

You probably won't get the marks since it did give you the information to work out what specific alcohols they were.
It's an easy mistake to make and with the looks of things quite a few people on here have either done the same as you or named the Aldehyde and Ketone instead of alcohol, I wouldn't dwell on it too much if I were you. Just make sure you don't make a similar mistake in your A2 exams:frown:
Original post by Randomer98
You wouldn't be able to resit AS but you would be able to resit A2

You can retake CHEM1-CHEM5 again next year, check the AQA 2017 timetable.
Reply 354
Pretty sure you didn't have to attach the Hydrogensulfate ion to the carbonation cos it said "outline the mechanism which forms the intermediate to which water is added..." Meaning the intermediate would be the final product for that particular step.
Original post by mgill17
If my memory serves me right it was 19.

Section B was 8&9 and it totaled 30 marks. One of the two questions was definitely 11 marks and the other 19 marks, I'm 100% certain about that, I just can't remember which way around, but I think it was the 19 marker.

Can you remember what other questions section b asked aside from the mechanisms
Please can someone make a mark scheme because everyone is asking about the same questions
Original post by mgill17
You probably won't get the marks since it did give you the information to work out what specific alcohols they were.
It's an easy mistake to make and with the looks of things quite a few people on here have either done the same as you or named the Aldehyde and Ketone instead of alcohol, I wouldn't dwell on it too much if I were you. Just make sure you don't make a similar mistake in your A2 exams:frown:

Ugh thanks, I'm so annoyed because I know my stuff but when I go into an exam I panic and don't read anything! I super panicked in this exam too because it was a new exam writer and phrased everything weird ): at least people who did this exam have a heads up on phrasing and stuff! Just sick with stress it will be as bad as unit 2 :/
Reply 358
Anyone good at buffers and ph?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4160553

Can you tell me when you need to divide by volumes to find the new concentrations, and when you don't need to.
Original post by r p
Pretty sure you didn't have to attach the Hydrogensulfate ion to the carbonation cos it said "outline the mechanism which forms the intermediate to which water is added..." Meaning the intermediate would be the final product for that particular step.

Hi,

i answered the Q before already - if you look back but you did have to attach as without that being attached - the addition of h2o wouldnt form a alcohol.

Quick Reply