The Student Room Group

Jobs for a 16 y/o

So GCSE's coming to an end soon and the 3 month holiday is looming, in which I will be applying for a job somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which I should go for? What's the best pay/experience?
Why don't you try Estate agencies or maybe a call centre

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DontSweatIt
So GCSE's coming to an end soon and the 3 month holiday is looming, in which I will be applying for a job somewhere.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which I should go for? What's the best pay/experience?

I applied for McDonalds the other day - specifically because they sell more during summer and so need more staff, so this summer you would get a lot of hours.
Original post by Macauley Ware
I applied for McDonalds the other day - specifically because they sell more during summer and so need more staff, so this summer you would get a lot of hours.

Yeah, that's who I was going to try out too; have you got a response?
Don't count on getting any more than minimum wage, unless you happen to be lucky enough to live in a good area. Next have a summer sale, so if it's not too late applying for a temp retail job there would be a good idea. I'd also try stuff like cafes. I worked at Next when I was 17 and it's tough, doesn't pay much, but it was an easy job to get when I couldn't get anything else.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Don't count on getting any more than minimum wage, unless you happen to be lucky enough to live in a good area. Next have a summer sale, so if it's not too late applying for a temp retail job there would be a good idea. I'd also try stuff like cafes. I worked at Next when I was 17 and it's tough, doesn't pay much, but it was an easy job to get when I couldn't get anything else.

To be honest, I know that the pay for maccyD's is one of the best for the lower tier jobs; in my area anyway - was just asking for the sake of perhaps considering other options.
How about jd sports, heard it pays <£4.50?
Original post by DontSweatIt
To be honest, I know that the pay for maccyD's is one of the best for the lower tier jobs; in my area anyway - was just asking for the sake of perhaps considering other options.

Yeah, from what I understand McDonalds actually pays better than any of my retail jobs did. A few places, like PC World and Carphone Warehouse, sometimes pay a little more but I believe it's harder to get a job there if you have no experience, and I'm not sure if you have any lol
Yeah, from what I understand McDonalds actually pays better than any of my retail jobs did. A few places, like PC World and Carphone Warehouse, sometimes pay a little more but I believe it's harder to get a job there if you have no experience, and I'm not sure if you have any lol

I've got work experience, am i able to get in them.
Local independent cafes or restaurants often need summer temps, so that can be worth a try. I've heard supermarkets also pay well. I was paid £6.50/hour as a christmas temp with the Disney Store at 16. As a 16 year old, the fun-value of work is always going to be minimal so just do what you can. Good luck!
What do they expect us to write on our CV? We are on the house council ? 😂
The only damn job you have is to stay in school and refrain from alcohol and tobacco.
Original post by Withengar
The only damn job you have is to stay in school and refrain from alcohol and tobacco.

Take it from the expert?
Try retail or fast food. Look on shopping centre websites for a list of stores and then try checking each websites career page.
Original post by ARK_REVISES
I've got work experience, am i able to get in them.

It's possible, but they seem to be quite picky with who they take on, even for temp jobs.
It's possible, but they seem to be quite picky with who they take on, even for temp jobs.

I probably made up my mind, I'll go for ASDA do they accept school leavers
Original post by ARK_REVISES
I probably made up my mind, I'll go for ASDA do they accept school leavers

Honestly, I'm not sure. I vaguely remember an 18+ rule for some supermarkets, but I could be wrong about Asda being one of them. It's best to check on their recruitment website.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending