The Student Room Group

How hard is A level chemistry?

So I know this is opinion based but I was wondering if anyone could give me some insights into what it will be like if I choose to study it next year. I am doing GCSEs right now and I am predicted an A in GCSE chemistry however sometimes I do struggle with the maths side like titration calculations but my teacher said that can be overcome with help. There is an excellent teacher teaching it next year but anyone that has studied it or in the similar position opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by caitlinamae
So I know this is opinion based but I was wondering if anyone could give me some insights into what it will be like if I choose to study it next year. I am doing GCSEs right now and I am predicted an A in GCSE chemistry however sometimes I do struggle with the maths side like titration calculations but my teacher said that can be overcome with help. There is an excellent teacher teaching it next year but anyone that has studied it or in the similar position opinions?

How are you with GCSE Maths?
You don't necessarily need to be great at Maths, for AS, (AQA exam board), we learn about 5 formulas for calculations, need to remember the units used for each and know how to convert these units, i.e. cm to dm. You just need to practise, practise, practise.
Chemsitry is hell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by nomophobia
Chemsitry is hell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reason why I plan to drop it but don't let us put you off
Original post by KweenK
Reason why I plan to drop it but don't let us put you off

Lol, I can't drop it because I want to drop history even more :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I got a b at Chem igcse and managed to get an a at as
I just found it a lot more interesting and once you've learnt all the course it just requires plenty of practice questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

I take physics and chemistry and maths and 2 other subjects.
I have come to realize that the maths we do in physics which is more demanding than in chemistry had made our class split into these groups of confident and not confident people.

Generally those who do physics have no issues with unit questions and such because we have to remember all of them and do more calculations on them

and those who do maths generally have no problems with extra steps inside that.

What I'm trying to say here is those who have practiced harder questions find it easier, so if you practice questions and harder questions you will find it easier like everyone else.
"The first time you do it , it will be hard , the last time you do it, you will question what you struggled on for so long".
Chemistry is a challenging A Level subject, no doubt about it. In order to do well, you need to understand (not learn) the chemistry. Because there's a lot of application at A Level which tests whether or not you understand the the principles.

If you simply learn it, you will struggle.

Personally I found the transition from GCSE to A level pretty difficult, especially because our teacher expected us to know more than we did (e.g. the charge of common ions because at A level you don't get the table of common ions). However by January I was doing much better and had moved up from C/B grades to A grades on the tests we did in class (just sat AS exams). One thing I love with chemistry is it's easy to get help for if you don't understand something because the concepts aren't too complex; I have a group chat on Facebook and if anyone doesn't understand anything we can just ask each other. All in all I think chemistry is reasonable, there are quite a few calculation questions but there's only so many that can come up, so when you know how to do every type of question (e.g. calorimetry, empirical etc) you'll love it when they come up because you'll know exactly what to do
Reply 9
I am also predicted an A in maths and I have got As pretty consistently throughout the year in past papers to. It only seems to be titration i struggle with at gcse as I love enthalpy bond questions but thankyou :smile:
Original post by KweenK
You don't necessarily need to be great at Maths, for AS, (AQA exam board), we learn about 5 formulas for calculations, need to remember the units used for each and know how to convert these units, i.e. cm to dm. You just need to practise, practise, practise.

Original post by KweenK

Original post by KweenK
Thankyou this was really helpful, I think I will choose to study it as I do enjoy it obviously it's just frustrating when I don't get something but it seems practise is the key. The teacher is amazing and always willing to help so hopefully I will have no issues :smile:
Original post by neon_reaper
Personally I found the transition from GCSE to A level pretty difficult, especially because our teacher expected us to know more than we did (e.g. the charge of common ions because at A level you don't get the table of common ions). However by January I was doing much better and had moved up from C/B grades to A grades on the tests we did in class (just sat AS exams). One thing I love with chemistry is it's easy to get help for if you don't understand something because the concepts aren't too complex; I have a group chat on Facebook and if anyone doesn't understand anything we can just ask each other. All in all I think chemistry is reasonable, there are quite a few calculation questions but there's only so many that can come up, so when you know how to do every type of question (e.g. calorimetry, empirical etc) you'll love it when they come up because you'll know exactly what to do
I am also going to take biology but obviously that's not as maths involved. Physics is personally not my thing but I will make sure to practise those calculations I struggle on. Thankyou :smile:
Original post by Aoba
I take physics and chemistry and maths and 2 other subjects.
I have come to realize that the maths we do in physics which is more demanding than in chemistry had made our class split into these groups of confident and not confident people.

Generally those who do physics have no issues with unit questions and such because we have to remember all of them and do more calculations on them

and those who do maths generally have no problems with extra steps inside that.

What I'm trying to say here is those who have practiced harder questions find it easier, so if you practice questions and harder questions you will find it easier like everyone else.
"The first time you do it , it will be hard , the last time you do it, you will question what you struggled on for so long".
Thankyou this was really helpful, I think I will choose to study it as I do enjoy it obviously it's just frustrating when I don't get something but it seems practise is the key. The teacher is amazing and always willing to help so hopefully I will have no issues :smile:

No problem, glad I could help :smile:. For 95% of the maths stuff at AQA AS there literally is just a pattern to follow for maths questions. Eg for empirical formula I just have the the elements across the top and Mass, Mr, mol and ratio down the side, fill it in and that's pretty much it so it really shouldn't be a problem for you. And are you 100% sure that you'll get that teacher? It's just that taking a subject because you might get a teacher you like is a risky game, but if they have to be your teacher then its fine :biggrin:
Yes she is the only teacher at our school that teaches a level chemistry which is a positive that I know I will get her, thankyou again I am quite looking forward to it tbh :smile:
Original post by neon_reaper
No problem, glad I could help :smile:. For 95% of the maths stuff at AQA AS there literally is just a pattern to follow for maths questions. Eg for empirical formula I just have the the elements across the top and Mass, Mr, mol and ratio down the side, fill it in and that's pretty much it so it really shouldn't be a problem for you. And are you 100% sure that you'll get that teacher? It's just that taking a subject because you might get a teacher you like is a risky game, but if they have to be your teacher then its fine :biggrin:
Reply 14

Some of the calculations (in a topic called buffers) might be pretty challenging if you struggle in maths. A level chem is hard but so are most other A levels and you usually adapt to it after a while, especially if ur a sciency person. With my GCSE attitude, I struggled massively in the first while until i realised how much work i needed to put in.

As general advice, dont do an A level in a subject purely for university. If you dont like a subject that much, you will find it much harder. If you do like it, it will be hard but you wont mind putting in the work as much.
I think alot of people over exaggerate the calibre of A Levels. Of course they are hard, but its subjective.
For chemistry I found that I struggled at the start of the year, but over time it starts to make alot of sense and now its my favourite subject hands down. If you work hard and do past papers you'll do fine.

It is honestly not as hard as people make it out to be, but simultaneously its not easy, you need to put the work in and you will do fine.
Thankyou it seeks everyone struggles at first due to the transistion and then seems to do fine so hopefully this will be the case for me. On average how many hours a week do you reckon you spend on it? Like in your own time?
Original post by Medicineisgood
I think alot of people over exaggerate the calibre of A Levels. Of course they are hard, but its subjective.
For chemistry I found that I struggled at the start of the year, but over time it starts to make alot of sense and now its my favourite subject hands down. If you work hard and do past papers you'll do fine.

It is honestly not as hard as people make it out to be, but simultaneously its not easy, you need to put the work in and you will do fine.
Thankyou! This sounds a stupid question as I know I will be able to put work in and I will as I do enjoy chemistry but do you still have some free time or does it seem its all work?
Original post by Nayzar
Some of the calculations (in a topic called buffers) might be pretty challenging if you struggle in maths. A level chem is hard but so are most other A levels and you usually adapt to it after a while, especially if ur a sciency person. With my GCSE attitude, I struggled massively in the first while until i realised how much work i needed to put in.

As general advice, dont do an A level in a subject purely for university. If you dont like a subject that much, you will find it much harder. If you do like it, it will be hard but you wont mind putting in the work as much.
Thankyou it seeks everyone struggles at first due to the transistion and then seems to do fine so hopefully this will be the case for me. On average how many hours a week do you reckon you spend on it? Like in your own time?

Definitely, it was the hardest transition for me, maybe biology. Okay so from march to my exams I probably spent,10 +/- 3 hours a week doing chemistry revision. Once you understand it it gets sooo much easier and more interesting. Also do past papers when you can
Just my 2 cents. I did triple science GCSEs back in the day and A level Chem. It follows on nicely and isn't as hard as people claim, it's an interesting subject and if taught well there's lots of awesome practicals.

What is difficult however are the stupid exams which have tedious specific mark schemes and those practical exams where every other school has fed each other the questions. Don't let it put you off, I did alright in the end :tongue:

For those considering medicine, I barely used Chem at all. Maybe some Henderson Hasselbach in pharmacology and renal and Resp Med. All my A levels were pretty useless tbh for medschool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending