The Student Room Group

A level choices.

I've already set my mind on history, politics and R.E. at A level , but I'm not sure what to pick as my 4th choice. I originally wanted to go for moving image arts (as I really enjoyed it at GCSE) or psychology, but apparently universities don't value either of those subjects. Basically, should I just focus on getting the best grades I can on those three subjects, or take on a STEM subject just in case? ( I did physics and maths at GCSE and I'm predicted an A for both).
Original post by shialabeouf
I've already set my mind on history, politics and R.E. at A level , but I'm not sure what to pick as my 4th choice. I originally wanted to go for moving image arts (as I really enjoyed it at GCSE) or psychology, but apparently universities don't value either of those subjects. Basically, should I just focus on getting the best grades I can on those three subjects, or take on a STEM subject just in case? ( I did physics and maths at GCSE and I'm predicted an A for both).
What do you want to do at uni?

Psychology isn't a bad subject- I know people who have gotten Cambridge offers with a psychology a level. Politics and history are pretty hard a levels, so if you're doing maths/physics on top of that, you'll be in for a lot of work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by life.of.pablo
What do you want to do at uni?

I've been thinking about law or history.

Tbh you've picked 3 essay writing subjects which are all going to take up a lot of time, either go for Psychology or stick with 3.

If that's what you want to do then a stem subject isn't exactly necessary. I know for law you need essay based subjects which you have with your three choices already, so for your 4th I'd go with something you enjoy doing and would get a good grade in.
Reply 6
Original post by RasputinReborn
Probably get destroyed in Maths with an A at GCSE. Physics A-level is really hard too, probably harder than maths. Have you considered English literature?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have but I feel like 4 essay based subjects would kill me X4, although it probably is the best choice.
Reply 7
If you wanna do Law or History as a degree, I think you're already off to a good start in choosing RE, Politics and History as it shows you'll be learning to analyse. I would just say choose a 4th subject that can widen your breadth of skills as that's what Law degrees tend to look for - I think. Look around for Uni's entry requirements if they need i.e. a STEM subject to do Law or History :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks for your replies! This really helps!
I have but I feel like 4 essay based subjects would kill me X4, although it probably is the best choice.

I thought that too. I did English Lit, Art History, R.S. and Maths at AS because I thought Maths would give me a break from essay writing. I got an A in Maths at GCSE and came out with a U at AS. Food for thought.

I didn't take Psychology but a lot of my friends did (obviously the syllabus and set up now is different but I imagine it's more or less the same content) and the general consensus from them is that there is a hell of a lot to remember. I'd say just stick with the three you've already picked :yep:

I would say look at your work load. Lots of essay based subjects = lots of work and deadlines, the exams aren't exactly a peach either. Lots of academic subjects i.e. maths, physics, chemistry..= work load and hell.

If you've got Politics, history and R.E. why not go down the business or economics route? Greatly valued subjects, business in particular is quite easy if you're logical and understand fundamentals of making money and will come in handy in the real world when you need a job.
Original post by Themini
I would say look at your work load. Lots of essay based subjects = lots of work and deadlines, the exams aren't exactly a peach either. Lots of academic subjects i.e. maths, physics, chemistry..= work load and hell.

If you've got Politics, history and R.E. why not go down the business or economics route? Greatly valued subjects, business in particular is quite easy if you're logical and understand fundamentals of making money and will come in handy in the real world when you need a job.

That would be a good choice, but I'm not able to do business studies at A level as I didn't do it at GCSE
That would be a good choice, but I'm not able to do business studies at A level as I didn't do it at GCSE

What? There shouldn't be any synoptic subject related entry requirements to business A level when none exists for the degree itself.
Original post by laylarose
I thought that too. I did English Lit, Art History, R.S. and Maths at AS because I thought Maths would give me a break from essay writing. I got an A in Maths at GCSE and came out with a U at AS. Food for thought.

I didn't take Psychology but a lot of my friends did (obviously the syllabus and set up now is different but I imagine it's more or less the same content) and the general consensus from them is that there is a hell of a lot to remember. I'd say just stick with the three you've already picked :yep:

Thank You! I'm just worried that people who do 4 As's might have an advantage over me, regarding university applications.

Quick Reply

Latest