The Student Room Group

A Level Maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
At least in my school those who got A's and B's at GCSE either dropped maths in the middle of their AS, after the AS or are continuing with balancing on a D. Those who got A*'s are getting from A* to B/C in A2 with me. I can't really compare A Level with GCSE because I personally never took GCSE's.

I think a lot has to do with the way you study and everyone is capable of getting a B in A Level maths. There is no such thing as "being naturally talented for maths" naturally interested, yes, but you don't need to be exceptionally bright to do well in an exam designed for typical 18 year olds, unless yes, you are aiming for an A* or a high A. I must say that those who dropped out were without exception the ones who studied the least and never prepared for mocks and basically took a piss at them.
if you like maths:

Maths and Further Maths are the best A levels, easy with practice and full marks is not actually that hard.

In summer if you have time, make sure you are confident with indices and surds, its something most schools teach badly.

I did nothing in summer at all, enjoy it while you can. AS and A level is stressful and I cannot wait just to sleep properly again.

2 modules left, currently on about 392/400 UMS, aiming for 580/600 by the end of the week upcoming.
Reply 22
Original post by pecora
At least in my school those who got A's and B's at GCSE either dropped maths in the middle of their AS, after the AS or are continuing with balancing on a D. Those who got A*'s are getting from A* to B/C in A2 with me. I can't really compare A Level with GCSE because I personally never took GCSE's.

I think a lot has to do with the way you study and everyone is capable of getting a B in A Level maths. There is no such thing as "being naturally talented for maths" naturally interested, yes, but you don't need to be exceptionally bright to do well in an exam designed for typical 18 year olds, unless yes, you are aiming for an A* or a high A. I must say that those who dropped out were without exception the ones who studied the least and never prepared for mocks and basically took a piss at them.

Thank you!
I'm confident to work really hard :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by xyz9856
if you like maths:

Maths and Further Maths are the best A levels, easy with practice and full marks is not actually that hard.

In summer if you have time, make sure you are confident with indices and surds, its something most schools teach badly.

I did nothing in summer at all, enjoy it while you can. AS and A level is stressful and I cannot wait just to sleep properly again.

2 modules left, currently on about 392/400 UMS, aiming for 580/600 by the end of the week upcoming.

Okay I'll go over surds & indices - thank you!
Wow you must be amazing ahah best of luck for your remaining exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z1820
Okay I'll go over surds & indices - thank you!
Wow you must be amazing ahah best of luck for your remaining exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is just practice, I went from a C/B to an A* at GCSE in 3 months. Thank you for the kind words :smile:

Take A level maths and Further Maths, it has been the best academic decision I have ever made.
Reply 25
Original post by xyz9856
Maths is just practice, I went from a C/B to an A* at GCSE in 3 months. Thank you for the kind words :smile:

Take A level maths and Further Maths, it has been the best academic decision I have ever made.

Don't think I'm capable for further maths hahah but you've definitely motivated me to do just Maths! Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z1820
Don't think I'm capable for further maths hahah but you've definitely motivated me to do just Maths! Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

150 marks is good - well done.

You are capable to do it, your only limitation is the constraint you put yourself in. Don't give up before you've even started :smile:

A level is easier to get full marks in than GCSE if you put the work in, doing further maths makes you so good the regular a level is a breeze.
Haha i want to do maths A level too! i think i got around 174 in the GCSEs, give or take maybe 5 ish marks... hopefully it wont be too bad, im taking english lit, law and psychology along with it
Reply 28
Original post by Blueee29
Haha i want to do maths A level too! i think i got around 174 in the GCSEs, give or take maybe 5 ish marks... hopefully it wont be too bad, im taking english lit, law and psychology along with it

That's most likely an A* well done!
I'm thinking of Psychology too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by xyz9856
150 marks is good - well done.

You are capable to do it, your only limitation is the constraint you put yourself in. Don't give up before you've even started :smile:

A level is easier to get full marks in than GCSE if you put the work in, doing further maths makes you so good the regular a level is a breeze.

Thanks so much :smile: I really appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
basically practise A* maths at gcse level ova the summer cos C1 touches a lot of high level gcse stuff. C2 covers a little too. Just be confident in ur indices, surds, graphs, trig etc. They're the harder gcse stuff. :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by rayestar
basically practise A* maths at gcse level ova the summer cos C1 touches a lot of high level gcse stuff. C2 covers a little too. Just be confident in ur indices, surds, graphs, trig etc. They're the harder gcse stuff. :biggrin:

Fab! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z1820
Fab! Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you'd find C1 VERY EASY if you manage to get A* in your practise papers without trouble. Make sure to not forget anything either. Confidence is also important in maths too :biggrin:
Reply 33
Original post by rayestar
you'd find C1 VERY EASY if you manage to get A* in your practise papers without trouble. Make sure to not forget anything either. Confidence is also important in maths too :biggrin:

Ah that's great, thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest