The Student Room Group

Need help with my sci calculator

Hi i just need some help understanding why my calculator does this. When i multiply a decimal by a decimal. For example 0.02x0.1 i get a weird answer which i do not have the mathematical knowledge to understand (the answer is 2x10-3 that was meant to be a power to negative 3) when the answer is 0.002 is there a setting i can put it on or something.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it a Casio calculator?

H
Yep its a casio
Reply 3
Original post by quickmagma
Yep its a casio

Press shift, then 9, then 3. This will clear the memory, settings and anything else that may have happened to this - always a default fix on the casios; chances are it's in radians mode or similar.

If the problem still persists, let me know. Please quote me or PM me though cause it doesn't come up in my notifications otherwise.

Hope that helps

H
Reply 4
Original post by 09HB
Press shift, then 9, then 3. This will clear the memory, settings and anything else that may have happened to this - always a default fix on the casios; chances are it's in radians mode or similar.

If the problem still persists, let me know. Please quote me or PM me though cause it doesn't come up in my notifications otherwise.

Hope that helps

H

thanks! helped a lot :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by rcmack
thanks! helped a lot :biggrin:

No worries, glad I could help. Always one to remember in exams when people have been fiddling with the thing :tongue:

H
Reply 6
Original post by 09HB
No worries, glad I could help. Always one to remember in exams when people have been fiddling with the thing :tongue:

H

ahh i remember in my gcse maths last year my calculator was in radials, and i was like '****'
Reply 7
Original post by rcmack
ahh i remember in my gcse maths last year my calculator was in radials, and i was like '****'

Happened to me too.. I nearly stabbed the person who did it afterwards!! Not so bad now doing A-Level Maths and knowing what the Radians bit actually does :smile:

H
Reply 8
Original post by 09HB
Happened to me too.. I nearly stabbed the person who did it afterwards!! Not so bad now doing A-Level Maths and knowing what the Radians bit actually does :smile:

H

ah is a level maths hard?
im doing admaths this year because i took my maths gcse this year and its soooooo hard
Reply 9
Original post by rcmack
ah is a level maths hard?
im doing admaths this year because i took my maths gcse this year and its soooooo hard

Yeah... don't do A-level :tongue: I got an A* at GCSE and A-Level is still a total headf***, to be quite honest.

H
Reply 10
Original post by 09HB
Yeah... don't do A-level :tongue: I got an A* at GCSE and A-Level is still a total headf***, to be quite honest.

H

yea im considering not doing it, but i think our school expects you to take a level if you get an A* in maths.

Also, is there an exam where you dont have a calculator? :/
Reply 11
Original post by rcmack
yea im considering not doing it, but i think our school expects you to take a level if you get an A* in maths.

Also, is there an exam where you dont have a calculator? :/

There is; Core 1. It is an anus ( I think i'm allowed to say that...?), and most people resit it in Y13. However, as they're changing it to a new 2-year course, I personally wouldn't suggest it unless you are 100% sure on what you've already done, and are wiling to spend every waking moment for the next 2 years trying to work out why this equation relates to that circle when differentiated in this way.

It's not nice!

H
Reply 12
Original post by 09HB
There is; Core 1. It is an anus ( I think i'm allowed to say that...?), and most people resit it in Y13. However, as they're changing it to a new 2-year course, I personally wouldn't suggest it unless you are 100% sure on what you've already done, and are wiling to spend every waking moment for the next 2 years trying to work out why this equation relates to that circle when differentiated in this way.

It's not nice!

H

is it basically gcse maths without a calculator?
Reply 13
Original post by rcmack
is it basically gcse maths without a calculator?

Not really. The GCSE stuff is used, but also built upon (like using the SOHCAHTOA and pythagoras on graphs to find the distances from one line to the other through the axis or another certain point).

http://www.cie.org.uk/images/164759-2016-syllabus.pdf

Probably not a board you'll use, but the content should be similar... Have a look and see what you think

H
Reply 16
Reply 17
Original post by 09HB
Prob a more useful link than mine!

H

wooooow getting kinda worried now
Reply 18
Original post by rcmack
wooooow getting kinda worried now

Tbh, it's prob better to be worried and know what to expect than just go into it like I did and be slapped around the face, quite hard, by the contents of the textbook.

H
Reply 19
Original post by 09HB
Tbh, it's prob better to be worried and know what to expect than just go into it like I did and be slapped around the face, quite hard, by the contents of the textbook.

H

so are you doing AS and then dropping out for A2?
And did you find GCSE maths easy?

Quick Reply

Latest