The Student Room Group

So gay people are now being targeted by Islamic extremists in their own countries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by epage
This isn't terrorism in the way people are thinking it is. It was NOT an islamic extremist who performed this attack. He was a homophobic man who also happened to be a muslim.

The father of the shooter said that: "We are saying we are apologising for the whole incident. We weren't aware of any action he is taking. We are in shock like the whole country. This had nothing to do with religion." and that his son "got very angry when he saw two men kissing."

Don't blame muslims, religion, or anything except homophobia.

It doesn't matter whether his homophobia was motivated by Islam or not. The basic facts by all accounts are that he used extreme violence to spread terror amongst a group whose actions (in this case, being or supporting homosexuals) he despised. That is the definition of terrorism. I guess if we wanted to go down the same ridiculous road the Mail etc do when covering these stories, we'd start calling him a Heterosexual Extremeist.
Original post by epage
HE WASNT AN ISLAMIC EXTREMIST. He just happened to be muslim.

The father of the shooter said that: "We are saying we are apologising for the whole incident. We weren't aware of any action he is taking. We are in shock like the whole country. This had nothing to do with religion." and that his son "got very angry when he saw two men kissing."

Also, I don't think his father is an entirely neutral and trustworthy source somehow.
Original post by Saoirse:3
It doesn't matter whether his homophobia was motivated by Islam or not. The basic facts by all accounts are that he used extreme violence to spread terror amongst a group whose actions (in this case, being or supporting homosexuals) he despised. That is the definition of terrorism. I guess if we wanted to go down the same ridiculous road the Mail etc do when covering these stories, we'd start calling him a Heterosexual Extremeist.

It IS terrorism. it is the definition of terrorism, I know that but people think terrorism = ISIS and it doesn't. He wasn't an islamic extremist.
Original post by 09876543211
Gun control didn't seem help France. Rather than focusing on gun control, USA should focus on muzzie control.

Participating in illegal wars, destroying countries and then inviting thousands of Muslims from those countries is never a good idea, so controlling how many muslims you let in is only common sense, france has too many loser poor muslims that want a reason to get guns and shoot people
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by epage
HE WASNT AN ISLAMIC EXTREMIST. He just happened to be muslim.

Most of the press have reported that he had extremist links, and the Telegraph is reporting that he "made a pledge of allegiance to Isil". It is naive to think, given the current information, that this is merely a case of a homophobe being upset by seeing two men kissing and that's it...
Original post by Grand High Witch
Most of the press have reported that he had extremist links, and the Telegraph is reporting that he "made a pledge of allegiance to Isil". It is naive to think, given the current information, that this is merely a case of a homophobe being upset by seeing two men kissing and that's it...

The telegraph is the only newspaper I saw reporting that... Even the daily mail only mentioned briefly that the FBI said gunman may have 'leanings to radical Islamic terrorism'

it isn't naive, it's the truth, why is it so hard to understand that people are killed for being gay? It happens all over the world, every day. Yeah, rarely in western countries but that doesn't mean the extreme homophobia doesn't exist.
Reply 126
Well, that's going to boost Donald Trump.
Reply 127
Original post by epage
HE WASNT AN ISLAMIC EXTREMIST.

Yeah, he just killed 50 people because as a Muslim he didn't like gays. He's not an extremist at all. :rolleyes:

I don't like to insult people, but you're a massive moron.
Original post by Josb
Yeah, he just killed 50 people because as a Muslim he didn't like gays. He's not an extremist at all. :rolleyes:

I don't like to insult people, but you're a massive moron.

If he was christian, or catholic, or hindu, or buddhist would you be calling him an extremist? No, if he was a white christian, he would just be labelled homophobe.
Original post by The Epicurean
The BBC has stated:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-36510172

Homophobia within the Muslim community is something that needs to be challenged.

The fact is that there is room for acceptance of homosexuality within Islam. There is no verse within the Quran which explicitly condemns homosexuality. I think in light of this event (which sources appear to point towards Islamic extremism), more needs to be done within the Muslim community to tackle the issue of homophobia and serious discussions need to take place over Islamic interpretations in regards to sexuality.

Oh boy. Only "suggestions" and I'm going to sit back and grab some popcorn to let a bunch of idiots who don't even have confirmation on this guys religion argue about Islam. This is life now lol.
Reply 130
Original post by epage

it isn't naive, it's the truth, why is it so hard to understand that people are killed for being gay? It happens all over the world, every day. Yeah, rarely in western countries but that doesn't mean the extreme homophobia doesn't exist.

No, 50 dead massacres don't happen every day. :rolleyes:

This is the deadliest mass shooting in US history...
Reply 131
Original post by epage
If he was christian, or catholic, or hindu, or buddhist would you be calling him an extremist? No, if he was a white christian, he would just be labelled homophobe.

No, I would call him an extremist. Don't assume what I would say.
Reply 132
Original post by ....Jeff458
Oh boy. Only "suggestions" and I'm going to sit back and grab some popcorn to let a bunch of idiots who don't even have confirmation on this guys religion argue about Islam. This is life now lol.

"Omar Mateen".

I doubt he's Buddhist.
Original post by epage

Someone has the balls to say this (I appreciate your a female but nonetheless)
Original post by interact
Complete nonsense, the silent majority may think that homosexuality is a sin but few if any, would think that this digusting attack is justifiable/allowed/permitted by Islamic doctrine

Thats just it. Our muslim community knows next to nothing of islamic doctrine and so their prejudices and contempt for homosexuals is allowed free reign. Ive heard mothers say its okay for isis to push gay men off rooftops, youre being a fool if you think only a minority of our ummah think like this
Original post by Josb
No, I would call him an extremist. Don't assume what I would say.

Doubt it.
Reply 136
Original post by Josb
Well, that's going to boost Donald Trump.

My thoughts exactly. And as someone who despises him, i can now see why people would vote for him.
Original post by ....Jeff458

I don't get your point. Either way, this appears to be a homophobic attack. Sources seem to point to the person being inspired by Islamic extremism. Regardless of whether this is true or not, homophobia is a serious issue, and homophobia within the Muslim community is a serious issue. Are you trying to downplay the seriousness of the issue of homophobia?

Because some sources have already implied the person may be Muslim, there is going to be a huge uproar against Islam and possibly even Muslims. I have tried to focus peoples attention of the issue of homophobia and how we can challenge it
Original post by The Epicurean
There is no verse within the Quran which explicitly condemns homosexuality.

Quran 7:81 - "Will ye commit abomination such as no creature ever did before you?"

Quran 4:16 - "If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both.

There are several lesser hadith stating, "When a man mounts another man, the throne of God shakes," and "Kill the one that is doing it and also kill the one that it is being done to."

Homosexuals are beheaded, hung and stoned in modern Saudi Arabia and Iran, where Muhammad's laws are applied most strictly.
Original post by epage

You can't just totally ignore the fact he was a Muslim. Certainly not all Muslims want gay people dead but you can't say it's rare for Muslims to turn on gay people, even if they were a member of their own family.
Usually it doesn't resort to something as horrible as this thankfully.

Trying to tie this exclusively to homophobia is like saying a heroin addict who burgled you didn't do it to gain access to more drugs.

This bloke probably thought he'd be in heaven with 72 virgins. I do think you've got to be somewhat twisted mentally/genetically in the first place to think attacks like this are a good idea but when you follow a religion that is openly intolerant towards gay people & claims that you'll be sent to heaven for killing unbelievers then to abstain it of any blame is completely ludicrous.

Quick Reply