The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Anniversary scholarships and LMA's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LSE itself states that approximately 19% of taught masters offer holders are successful in obtaining some form of financial support from the School. Out of this, approximately 8% receive financial support through the GSS. So, the odds of getting some funding overall - or of getting funding after you've been knocked back for the GSS - are not great, but also not vanishingly small either. No need to give up hope yet.

That said, I of course acknowledge the very real (and indeed statistically likely) prospect that I will be unsuccessful in obtaining funding from the LSE, or from any of the other funding bodies to which I have applied. In this eventuality (and for additional reasons I won't disclose on a public forum), I will be both unable to accept my offer for the upcoming academic year, and unable to rectify my financial shortfall between now and the 17/18 academic year, taking deferral as an option off the table. Basically, no funding = no LSE programme.

It does gall me that Twin Me, with exactly the same academic record but with, say, wealthy parents, would be able to access this education but I may be shut out. There is real inequity in this situation, and at first glance it looks like the funding options from LSE may be insufficient to rectify the problem.
(edited 7 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by blerg
LSE itself states that approximately 19% of taught masters offer holders are successful in obtaining some form of financial support from the School. Out of this, approximately 8% receive financial support through the GSS. So, the odds of getting some funding overall - or of getting funding after you've been knocked back for the GSS - are not great, but also not vanishingly small either. No need to give up hope yet.

That said, I of course acknowledge the very real (and indeed statistically likely) prospect that I will be unsuccessful in obtaining funding from the LSE, or from any of the other funding bodies to which I have applied. In this eventuality (and for additional reasons I won't disclose on a public forum), I will be both unable to accept my offer for the upcoming academic year, and unable to rectify my financial shortfall between now and the 17/18 academic year, taking deferral as an option off the table. Basically, no funding = no LSE programme.

It does gall me that Twin Me, with exactly the same academic record but with, say, wealthy parents, would be able to access this education but I may be shut out. There is real inequity in this situation, and at first glance it looks like the funding options from LSE may be insufficient to rectify the problem.

I can totally understand you, it is the same for me. No funding = NO LSE!
It has been giving me nightmares - quite literally! LSE has been my dream, and not being able to attend LSE only cuz of financial setback makes me feel helpless.
And its really sad, because I know people with wealthy parents going to LSE, while I will be rotting here!
LSE claims to provide the funding based on need, and I REALLY NEED IT! But often, wealthier students receive the money!
Reply 22
I have my fingers crossed for all of us.

blackbluegreen, my shortfall was also too great. I guess we'll know in the fullness of time whether the non-GSS awards offered by LSE are sufficient to enable participation by people suffering economic disadvantage, or whether the system really is slanted towards the already economically privileged.
One of the person I know received the Sasakawa (?) scholarships.
Original post by prospectivegrad
One of the person I know received the Sasakawa (?) scholarships.

are there any scholarships from LSE for the degree programmes for EU and International students?
Reply 25
I can totally understand you, it is the same for me. No funding = NO LSE!
It has been giving me nightmares - quite literally! LSE has been my dream, and not being able to attend LSE only cuz of financial setback makes me feel helpless.
And its really sad, because I know people with wealthy parents going to LSE, while I will be rotting here!
LSE claims to provide the funding based on need, and I REALLY NEED IT! But often, wealthier students receive the money!

Where are you living? I'm just curious because if I had no money to do my Masters I'd take a good paying job in manufacturing with about 2.000€ p/m after taxes. From July on it would be 14 months until September next year, which makes about 28.000€ in after tax income. Considering that you will get a huge share of taxes back as you only worked for a half year each (prob ~5.000€ back) you can even fund the most expensive master degree. And don't forget that there is even an opportunity to get an additional government loan. In total I'd be far above some minimal cost for a decent year in London.
Original post by Taddeus
Where are you living? I'm just curious because if I had no money to do my Masters I'd take a good paying job in manufacturing with about 2.000€ p/m after taxes. From July on it would be 14 months until September next year, which makes about 28.000€ in after tax income. Considering that you will get a huge share of taxes back as you only worked for a half year each (prob ~5.000€ back) you can even fund the most expensive master degree. And don't forget that there is even an opportunity to get an additional government loan. In total I'd be far above some minimal cost for a decent year in London.

LOL. Stop being ethnocentric hey!
I am from India and things here are not remotely close to wherever you're from. For one, no one will pay 2000 euros to a sociology graduate, and two, there ain't so many jobs. We are an overpopulated country!
There are some who genuinely need the money, y'know
According to LSE for You, we will be informed if we have been awarded a scholarship in writing by the end of July.

Does in writing mean by post? Will we not receive an email/through LSE for You?
Original post by londonstudent101
According to LSE for You, we will be informed if we have been awarded a scholarship in writing by the end of July.

Does in writing mean by post? Will we not receive an email/through LSE for You?

email I reckon. not through LSE4U
I am an international student and I have gotten a 8.5k pound/year award from LSE's undergraduate support scheme!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by PliZProFicient
I am an international student from Malaysia and I have gotten a 8.5k pound/year award from LSE's undergraduate support scheme!

Congratulations!
Reply 31
LOL. Stop being ethnocentric hey!
I am from India and things here are not remotely close to wherever you're from. For one, no one will pay 2000 euros to a sociology graduate, and two, there ain't so many jobs. We are an overpopulated country!
There are some who genuinely need the money, y'know

Where have I been ethnocentric? Lol

That's why I asked where he is from and put some personal anecdote into. I just wanted to show, that everything is possible if you want it.

Also if you would've read my post, you'd seen that I talked about a manufacturing job - you don't need a degree to work at a plant and do some stupid 1-2 movement job. It's boring as ****, but those jobs pay a ton and are perfect for students who need to save money during their gap year.

In addition to that: It doesn't even matter where you are from. There are things such as visas and work permits to work international (oil rigs are perfect) if there is no good job at home.
Original post by PliZProFicient
I am an international student and I have gotten a 8.5k pound/year award from LSE's undergraduate support scheme!

Hi, when did you hear from them?
Has anyone heard anything?
Original post by wilsonstomatoes
Has anyone heard anything?

Nope nothing :frown: have you?
Original post by blackbluegreen
No news. And I wouldn't be surprised if Brexit economy crash leads to less scholarships next year.

AND increased fees for the international students!
Where're you from?
Nope nothing :frown: have you?

No, nothing yet either.
Reply 37
AND increased fees for the international students!
Where're you from?

And less international students.

I'm still set on London, but this mania makes me think I won't be totally broken up if it doesn't work out. (Although what's the alternative, go south to what may very well become Trumpland? The world isn't what it was a year ago.)
I know, I know.
Just when we thought we live in a progressive "modern" world, we see outrageous level of racism and xenophobia out in open.

Right now, one doesn't know what might happen. The job opportunities might decrease for us Asians too. It's sad how the older people who voted to leave didn't even consider the consequences, and wouldn't even be there to suffer.
I read somewhere that people googled "what is brexit" "how will it affect Britain" and the likes after the results were declared ....... How can one be so ignorant?

The currency drop has decreased the fee for me by around 2 lacs rupees (still too poor though)
I've given up right now, and I feel LSE or no LSE, whatever happens now will be for good.

Speaking of trumpland... Heh. WHATS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???!!!
Reply 39
Same here. I wanted to study in Europe, not in some secluded island nation, a shadow of its more prosperous self. I've heard of at least one LSE professor already considering migrating to the continent. I even heard of a German lady who lived in England for twenty years being harassed. If folks like her are forced to lock themselves in their homes for fear of attack, what kind of treatment are students like us that are depending on UK scholarships to attend to expect? It's insane, insane.

But London really seems to be keeping its head up from what I can see. The mayor demanding more autonomy, demonstrations supporting migrants, a petition for independence from the UK (lol). London is still London, I think. And really, if we're interested social scientists, being in such a place of turmoil might be good for us. There's a lot to be learned about the nature of government, democracy, xenophobia.

But if this economic weakness means that they're going to give out less scholarships, I'm ****ed anyway. There go my childhood dreams.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending