The Student Room Group

So gay people are now being targeted by Islamic extremists in their own countries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tempest II
You can't just totally ignore the fact he was a Muslim. Certainly not all Muslims want gay people dead but you can't say it's rare for Muslims to turn on gay people, even if they were a member of their own family.
Usually it doesn't resort to something as horrible as this thankfully.

Trying to tie this exclusively to homophobia is like saying a heroin addict who burgled you didn't do it to gain access to more drugs.

This bloke probably thought he'd be in heaven with 72 virgins. I do think you've got to be somewhat twisted mentally/genetically in the first place to think attacks like this are a good idea but when you follow a religion that is openly intolerant towards gay people & claims that you'll be sent to heaven for killing unbelievers then to abstain it of any blame is completely ludicrous.

christians and catholics are also openly intolerant towards gay people?? if he was a christian they probably wouldn't blame his religion in the way people are now??
Original post by KloppOClock
Quran 7:81 - "Will ye commit abomination such as no creature ever did before you?"

Quran 4:16 - "If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both.

There are several lesser hadith stating, "When a man mounts another man, the throne of God shakes," and "Kill the one that is doing it and also kill the one that it is being done to."

Homosexuals are beheaded, hung and stoned in modern Saudi Arabia and Iran, where Muhammad's laws are applied most strictly.

I think it is our duty to challenge these interpretations rather than offer support for these interpretations that result in many gay people suffering throughout the world.

Read here my challenge of the verses in the Quran which are often quoted:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052083&page=8&p=64507571#post64507571

Read here my challenge of the hadith people often quote:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052083&page=8&p=64506911#post64506911
Original post by epage
christians and catholics are also openly intolerant towards gay people?? if he was a christian they probably wouldn't blame his religion in the way people are now??

they would except these days you don't tend to hear on the news about people like Buddhists blowing themselves up
Original post by epage

I would. I think all religions are rather pointless these days. & America does have far too many extreme Christians in my opinion. The difference is none have them have done anything quite this bonkers in a long time.
Lol funny how op says ' Now' , There are still many states which do not allow gay marriage wake up.
Original post by The Epicurean
I think it is our duty to challenge these interpretations rather than offer support for these interpretations that result in many gay people suffering throughout the world.

Read here my challenge of the verses in the Quran which are often quoted:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052083&page=8&p=64507571#post64507571

Read here my challenge of the hadith people often quote:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4052083&page=8&p=64506911#post64506911

there are 1.6 billion muslims in the world. how would you go about challenging the widely accepted idea that things like homosexuality are against their religion
Original post by Tempest II
I would. I think all religions are rather pointless these days. & America does have far too many extreme Christians in my opinion. The difference is none have them have done anything quite this bonkers in a long time.

true I guess and theres a lot of white supremacists who do crazy stuff
Original post by Thutmose-III
We as in the citizens of the UK and their elected government, and indeed we as in all the countries of the civilised world that have joined in this fight, including the UK, USA, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, France, Canada, Australia, Italy, New Zealand, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Greece, Lebanon, Spain, Singapore and others.

It is no concern of mine if you don't feel any solidarity with the Kurds, the Yezidis, with the gay victims of ISIS, with the slaughtered Christians of Iraq, with the solid majority of citizens in those countries and human beings across the planet who support this fight.

Excuse me, I never asked the government to do any of that. Just like I'm sure that there isn't a conspiracy in the gay community to bomb the middle east.

If you think murdering a club full of people is justified due to the actions of a few then surely you would support a retaliation nuke on Saudi Arabia and surrounding nations.
there are 1.6 billion muslims in the world. how would you go about challenging the widely accepted idea that things like homosexuality are against their religion

Obviously we can't change everyone's view. But we might as well start somewhere, why not start with Muslim students in the UK? Offering support to those Muslims who are actually challenging homophobia within the Muslim community is one method. There is for example LGBT Muslim support thread on TSR, there have also been a few Muslims on TSR who have spoken out in defence of LGBT Muslims and we can try to initiate debate on this topic and challenge peoples interpretations and offer alternative interpretations.
they would except these days you don't tend to hear on the news about people like Buddhists blowing themselves up

From wikipedia: "Since 2009, at least 120 Tibetans have self-immolated, more than 40 have died. The Dalai Lama has said he does not encourage the protests, but he has praised those who engage in self-immolation"

Buddhists often set themselves on fire, or commit suicide in protest of things, it just isn't reported.
Milo Yannopolis on you tube. Im not gay but i think to be ruled by a book 2000+ years ago is crazy.Ever played Chinese whispers thats between a few people, now add a few hundred thousands and prejudice. I used to be homophobic in the 90s when i was 16, i was an arse (still am) went to trade, made some friends who are gay, found out i had a few friends who were gay but scared to come out, now i feel ashamed for being so closed minded.
Original post by epage
From wikipedia: "Since 2009, at least 120 Tibetans have self-immolated, more than 40 have died. The Dalai Lama has said he does not encourage the protests, but he has praised those who engage in self-immolation"

Buddhists often set themselves on fire, or commit suicide in protest of things, it just isn't reported.

thats because people arent worried about them going on a rampage and shooting up a school.

Compare that to the amount of islamic related terrorist attacks.
here ill do it for you: (can only write 2009-2012 because there are so ****ing many and i dont have enough space to copy paste

Spoiler

Because obviously theyre completely the same situation. In fact, I think we can all agree the REAL problem here are radical buddhists.
Original post by Bum Fluff
i think to be ruled by a book 2000+ years ago is crazy.Ever played Chinese whispers thats between a few people, now add a few hundred thousands and prejudice.

Your quote there sums up quite a bit of my view on religion.
Reply 153
America has shootings practically every week. Most of them aren't even performed by Muslims.
Reply 154
Original post by Happy97
Is there any evidence that the attacker was Muslim? Let's say he was, is that an excuse to label all Muslims as potential terrorists who want to 'invade' Europe? If the attacker is a non-Muslim, he will be referred to as a 'lone wolf' who suffers from 'mental problems'. On the other hand, if he is a Muslim, mass hysteria will ensue. 'The Muslims are invading us'...etc.

Western hypocrisy and double-standards. Nothing new.
What you mean is that when an attack is found to have political or religious motivation in furthering an agenda, it is labelled as terrorism.
When no such motivation of agenda is found, it is not labelled as terrorism.

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Could you cite some cases where a non-Muslim has perpetrated an ideologically motivated attack, and it has not been labelled as terrorism.

Likewise, some non-ideologically motivated attacks by Muslims that have been labelled as terrorism.

Thanks.
Reply 155
Original post by epage

No,:
Six in ten respondents (61%) agree that homosexuals should have the same legal rights in all aspects of their lives as heterosexuals, and those who disapprove of sexual relations between two adults of the same sex (29%) are greatly outnumbered by those who do not (46%).
https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/2921/Religious-and-Social-Attitudes-of-UK-Christians-in-2011.aspx

You should posting. You keep embarrassing yourself.
Reply 156
Original post by epage

You must be a troll.
thats because people arent worried about them going on a rampage and shooting up a school.

Compare that to the amount of islamic related terrorist attacks.
here ill do it for you: (can only write 2009-2012 because there are so ****ing many and i dont have enough space to copy paste

Spoiler

Because obviously theyre completely the same situation. In fact, I think we can all agree the REAL problem here are radical buddhists.

I never said radical buddhists are the problem, they are clearly not because their protests are (mostly) victimless, I was just disproving your point. There is an issue of extremism in islam, like there is in no other religion. Thanks for the research :smile: Extremism is an issue that needs to be dealt with, I'm not arguing against that, but this attack was not in the name of islamic extremism, and not every muslim is at fault for those who commit terrorist attacks.
Reply 158
Original post by Trapz99
#PrayForOrlando
#PrayForAmerica
To which god?
Original post by epage
I never said radical buddhists are the problem, they are clearly not because their protests are (mostly) victimless, I was just disproving your point. There is an issue of extremism in islam, like there is in no other religion. Thanks for the research :smile: Extremism is an issue that needs to be dealt with, I'm not arguing against that, but this attack was not in the name of islamic extremism, and not every muslim is at fault for those who commit terrorist attacks.

are you for real? before he did the attack he literally claimed his allegiance to ISIS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending