The Student Room Group

Question about reduction of pay...

So I work for a large pub/restaurant group. And in the one I work at there has been quite a lot of disputes about pay and breaks and so on.

We (the staff) feel as if we are having unfair amounts of wages being taken from our monthly pay cheque due to the manager not being able to control the rota in a way that she doesn't loose money.

So basically what has happened is that, managers have now said we have a one hour cleaning time after work and after that we aren't getting paid. So say for example if we close at 1am we have until 2am to clean the place up and the rest we won't be paid for. So this is where many of the disputes about pay are coming from and I want to know whether or not this is legal and what we can do about it. Also when we have breaks and we do not actually take one and the time is for 30 minutes can they still take this off of our pay at the end of the month?

Thanks, any help would be great, and all questions will be answered!

Michael
You have to be paid for the hours you work so if you worked past 2am you should be paid for this time.

Yes they are still entitled to take the pay for Breaks off you, even if you don't take it. You legally have to take a break and if you opt not to take it then thats your choice. But the manager is paying you like you're taking your breaks and he is right not to pay you for the 30 minute breaks weather you choose to work through it or not. It's just in case you ever turned round and said "Well he wouldn't let me take my break." He then has proof to say "Well you were working for free for half an hour because I docked the pay accordingly."

It's very common not to be paid breaks. I know where I work, a guy deliberately didn't take any of his breaks so he'd get more money...they still docked his wages and adjusted them as if he had taken his breaks.
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
You have to be paid for the hours you work so if you worked past 2am you should be paid for this time.

Yes they are still entitled to take the pay for Breaks off you, even if you don't take it. You legally have to take a break and if you opt not to take it then thats your choice. But the manager is paying you like you're taking your breaks and he is right not to pay you for the 30 minute breaks weather you choose to work through it or not. It's just in case you ever turned round and said "Well he wouldn't let me take my break." He then has proof to say "Well you were working for free for half an hour because I docked the pay accordingly."

It's very common not to be paid breaks. I know where I work, a guy deliberately didn't take any of his breaks so he'd get more money...they still docked his wages and adjusted them as if he had taken his breaks.

Ah okay thanks, as for the breaks some managers have been saying we are only entitled to a certain amount of time on our break, but then when I contacted the person who handles the money she said that we should be getting longer. What should I do about this? For example 12 - 9 shifts are apparently entitled for a 45 minute break, but we have been told by managers we only get 30 minutes, what would you recommend about this?

Also for the deductions because of the finishing times who should I contact?
Original post by mickeehh
Ah okay thanks, as for the breaks some managers have been saying we are only entitled to a certain amount of time on our break, but then when I contacted the person who handles the money she said that we should be getting longer. What should I do about this? For example 12 - 9 shifts are apparently entitled for a 45 minute break, but we have been told by managers we only get 30 minutes, what would you recommend about this?

Also for the deductions because of the finishing times who should I contact?

The law states anything over 6 hours you are entitled to a 20 minute break...it really depends on where you work..I get an hour and a half worth of breaks at my work.

I'd speak to the manager again but to be honest i'd take the half hour if breaks are unpaid.

Again speak to HR. They should have some sort of clocking in/out system which records how long you work

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending