The Student Room Group

How the left respond to the recent attack in Orlando now we know the perp was Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
What an incredible deflection you had to resort to in-order to refute my previous point. No where did I state that Islamists attack left-wing institutions. I simply said that if they were radicalised in reaction to criticism of Islam or Muslims, then they would surely make an effort to attack those people. But they don't, they attack people based on what their religions says. They attack gays, they attack those who publish images of their prophet, they attack Western society based on the idea that it is haram.

Obviously it wasn't only Islam that drove them to do this. Just as it wasn't only the guns that caused this attack. However, guns played a big part, so I'd say it's a good idea to ban them. Guns seem to be a big theme in a lot of mass shootings, so I'd say banning them is a good idea if you want to stop them. Islam also seems to be a very common thread in terror attacks, so perhaps we should consider that thread and think about how it may influence them. All the parts about chopping off the fingers of unbelievers and killing them and reigning fire on gays might just have something to do with it. I dunno, maybe it's just me. But I'd say it seems likely it has an effect. Maybe you should actually try reading the Qu'ran before defending it?

cant be bothered to argue with a brick wall, you're one of the tsr islamophobes who always politicises these things
A realignment of journalistic intent in light of recent events in Orlando:

What one feels is of particular interest regarding the recent atrocity in Orlando was the media's, and in fact the authorities - willingness and eagerness to classify it. At first we saw the initial classification being an 'act of domestic terrorism' - I suggest that the perception was as the result of the 'target' being a LGBTIQ+ venue, and provoked by the existence of right-wing terror groups in the US which are ideologically opposed to the expanding institution of LGBTIQ+ people in the United States.

Our second classification seemed to be in-light of the identity of the perpetrator (the name 'Omar', still yet to be confirmed heralds from Islamic origins). I believe the FBI then updated their perspective from 'looking into [the atrocities] as an act of domestic terrorism', to 'exploring weather outside influences played in role as motive'. The media was quick to explore this new angle provided by the name of the perpetrator.

What ever did spur on the horrendous acts, my real point is that shouldn't the fact that there are so many possibilities of classification as clue to the fact that classification should be irrelevant. Instead of the media trying to collect different fragments of partial information and then presenting them under one signpost 'horrendous act of islamic terrorism' etc. I suggest that it would be beneficial to our nation, if a different path as pursued in the future. I believe the media's role should be to inform, and solely to inform. When you start to amalgamate the populous's need for information, with the perception of a news agency being distributed under the guise of 'information' - you in fact dangerously misinform people and spur people to jump from the solid cliffs of known fact, into the sea of suppositions. The path in future, I believe, is just for media outlets to provide the raw sources - i.e. in the format "we have learned that the identity of the shooter may be "Omar Mateen", as opposed to "there are [unfounded] suggestions of Islamic Terrorism. We recently learned to the true identity of the shooter to be Omar Mateen".

By also just providing the raw information, as opposed to an arrangement of this information to suit editorial objectives; news agencies could help inform the public to become more astute and conscious of the challenges facing our world. It is time for the reevaluation I propose, and I feel such a reevaluation will be beneficial who hindering the progress of demagogues and fear-mongers who live off the suppositions the media implants in us.
Original post by ChickenFillet2.0
A realignment of journalistic intent in light of recent events in Orlando:

What one feels is of particular interest regarding the recent atrocity in Orlando was the media's, and in fact the authorities - willingness and eagerness to classify it. At first we saw the initial classification being an 'act of domestic terrorism' - I suggest that the perception was as the result of the 'target' being a LGBTIQ+ venue, and provoked by the existence of right-wing terror groups in the US which are ideologically opposed to the expanding institution of LGBTIQ+ people in the United States.

Our second classification seemed to be in-light of the identity of the perpetrator (the name 'Omar', still yet to be confirmed heralds from Islamic origins). I believe the FBI then updated their perspective from 'looking into [the atrocities] as an act of domestic terrorism', to 'exploring weather outside influences played in role as motive'. The media was quick to explore this new angle provided by the name of the perpetrator.

What ever did spur on the horrendous acts, my real point is that shouldn't the fact that there are so many possibilities of classification as clue to the fact that classification should be irrelevant. Instead of the media trying to collect different fragments of partial information and then presenting them under one signpost 'horrendous act of islamic terrorism' etc. I suggest that it would be beneficial to our nation, if a different path as pursued in the future. I believe the media's role should be to inform, and solely to inform. When you start to amalgamate the populous's need for information, with the perception of a news agency being distributed under the guise of 'information' - you in fact dangerously misinform people and spur people to jump from the solid cliffs of known fact, into the sea of suppositions. The path in future, I believe, is just for media outlets to provide the raw sources - i.e. in the format "we have learned that the identity of the shooter may be "Omar Mateen", as opposed to "there are [unfounded] suggestions of Islamic Terrorism. We recently learned to the true identity of the shooter to be Omar Mateen".

By also just providing the raw information, as opposed to an arrangement of this information to suit editorial objectives; news agencies could help inform the public to become more astute and conscious of the challenges facing our world. It is time for the reevaluation I propose, and I feel such a reevaluation will be beneficial who hindering the progress of demagogues and fear-mongers who live off the suppositions the media implants in us.

Where did you copy and paste this dribble from? The blood isn't even dry yet and someone is already pontificating over "incorrect" terminology.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Plagioclase
Hysteria is literally the absolute worst possible way to respond to a terrorist attack. You are literally handing them what they want on a golden platter.

This. The primary aim of carrying out terrorist attacks is to cause fear and hysteria, that literally is the definition of terrorism, all these hysterical and fearmongering reactions aimed at Muslims and Islam as a whole only serve as proof the terrorist attack succeeded.

And no, before anyone strawmans me, I am not suggesting I think a horrific attack like this should be ignored, action is clearly needed to counter Islamic extremism, but hysteria and directing anger and hatred towards Muslims is not the answer and only divides society further.
How TSR's resident anti-Muslim crowd responds to every terrorist attack: making the exact same threads moaning about how the left are totally okay with this, spamming sarcastic comments about Islam being the religion of peace and more moaning about the left wing. From the enthusiasm you all put into these posts you'd almost think you get excited when these events happen.

It is a tragedy, feel sorry for the victims, please leave the exploitation of mass shootings for political aims for later.

This. Seems that Posters like OP get all giddy over attacks like this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
You seem more interested in attacking the left and attacking the entirety of islam than show respect for the victims. Its disgusting that you think you can use this as leverage for your own hateful agenda as opposed, thereby undermining the real victims of this attack.
Original post by XcitingStuart
But you can acknowledge tendencies within said group and address the causes of e.g. the Qur'an and the culture from which they came / by which they are influenced.

Of course I can, but OP has thing thing against 'the left' and like latches onto every little bit he can and tries to blow it out of proportion.
Terrorism has become more of a natural thing to be honest, much like earthquakes and volcanoes. The only difference is that while earthquakes are the result of problems in the Earth's mantle, terrorism is caused by problems in the brains of the lunatic race that is humans.
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
islamic extremism isn't going to disappear if half the country is constantly hateful towards Muslims

I think you have your causation the wrong way round, in truth. It isn't the west which has caused most middle-eastern countries to discriminate against homosexuals.
Original post by Melancholy
I think you have your causation the wrong way round, in truth. It isn't the west which has caused most middle-eastern countries to discriminate against homosexuals.

No, but spamming hate speech towards Islam/Muslims isn't exactly helping
True dat tho.
Original post by drogon
You seem more interested in attacking the left and attacking the entirety of islam than show respect for the victims. Its disgusting that you think you can use this as leverage for your own hateful agenda as opposed, thereby undermining the real victims of this attack.

I think the real victims would want us to make sure this isn't repeated again so that their deaths won't be in vain.

Apparently the police were aware of a relatively local Imam espousing anti-gay rhetoric, but chose to do nothing. Perhaps they didn't want to "use it as leverage" so to speak.
Original post by Olie
This. The primary aim of carrying out terrorist attacks is to cause fear and hysteria, that literally is the definition of terrorism, all these hysterical and fearmongering reactions aimed at Muslims and Islam as a whole only serve as proof the terrorist attack succeeded.

And no, before anyone strawmans me, I am not suggesting I think a horrific attack like this should be ignored, action is clearly needed to counter Islamic extremism, but hysteria and directing anger and hatred towards Muslims is not the answer and only divides society further.

the purpose of this attack was not to 'create a hysterical reaction toward muslims' , it was to kill gay people who he didnt like , perhaps his hatred was linked to his islamic upbringing. unfortunatey the inevitable fall out of this , and all the other incidents that have involved culprits of an islamic background, is that ppl will develop more and more distrust of other muslims - most of whom are normal decent ppl - and indeed attach this to wider society of 'brown people' who arnt even muslim ( this has bred into the growing fears of immigration in general)
I'm not surprised to see many on the right having a go at the left after acts of terrorism. Its the easy target and takes no effort on their behalf.

The sad true is that complaining about the left on the internet achieves nothing, and those complaining are about as impotent as Jeremy Crobyn in the fight against Islamic extremism. If those who view Islamic extremist as a genuine threat to the West, they would get off their corpulent backsides and travel out to Syria to fight ISIS rather than expecting others to fight and die to protect values their purport to hold dear. Sadly only a tiny handful of Brits are prepared to volunteer to fight against ISIS, with more having volunteered to fight for them. To quote Edmund Burke "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to sit around moaning on the internet".
Reply 54
:lol:
Original post by FredOrJohn
Who cares what the reason is.
The main reason is a lack of gun control in the USA.

All other reasons are meaningless drivel

That's the reason why they have a multiple shooting a day, roughly.

The reason for this one is homophobia, and Islam is not the only faith where some of its followers want to murder LGBT people.
Perhaps it's time for Muslims to either start a new sect of their religion which denounces violence so that we can rule out the good from the bad, or even better, realise how galvanising Islam towards violence can be and do like I and my family did, leave it for good knowing that benevolent God could have come up with this tripe.
To be honest it feels unfair to attack Muslims for things they had absolutely no hand in, but if they don't separate themselves from this evil **** they will just be caught in whatever **** storm occurs in the future.
Hang on a second, this has absolutely nothing to do with Islam or Muslims.

Remember when that white guy crashed that plane one time?
They will launch a concerted push to stop it happening again by disarming white men in Arizona.
How TSR's resident anti-Muslim crowd responds to every terrorist attack: making the exact same threads moaning about how the left are totally okay with this, spamming sarcastic comments about Islam being the religion of peace and more moaning about the left wing. From the enthusiasm you all put into these posts you'd almost think you get excited when these events happen.

It is a tragedy, feel sorry for the victims, please leave the exploitation of mass shootings for political aims for later.

Yep. I was thinking the exact same, especially when the first few posts are sarcastic rep-begging ones like #religionofpeace. Their TSR popularity seems to feed off these.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending