The Student Room Group

AQA Resistant Materials Unit 1 Exam THURSDAY

Anyone doing this exam? How do you think you're going to do?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing it.
Considering I know i got pretty much full marks on coursework, that makes it little easier for me - but DT GCSE is my worst subject and I am scared for it. For me the worst thing is that recently the mark scheme changed completely. If you look at 2010-2014 mark schemes, you will notice that they pretty much reward all valid points. But in the 2015 paper they require you to put certain things down:
For example, in a question about "shaping the product", you had a maximum of 2 out of 4 marks fro marking out and a max of 2 out of 4 for details about cutting - whereas in 2010-14, you could get 3 for marking out and 1 for cutting, or vice versa - pretty much anything true was rewarded. It was also a lot stricter in 2015.

For me I can do all the essays and generally I can do the "make a trophy" questions, but the weird questions about materials/properties and what mechanisms are in some products I find really hard.

Overall I'm hoping for an A* (about 85/120) and in past papers I have been getting the A* regularly, but if hard questions come up; or if section A is weird, then I will pretty quickly drop to an A.

By the way, what do you think section A will be? I'm hoping either some sort of kneeler/sitter for the elderly, a storage unit or something to help them use their tools.
Original post by Martins1
I'm doing it.
Considering I know i got pretty much full marks on coursework, that makes it little easier for me - but DT GCSE is my worst subject and I am scared for it. For me the worst thing is that recently the mark scheme changed completely. If you look at 2010-2014 mark schemes, you will notice that they pretty much reward all valid points. But in the 2015 paper they require you to put certain things down:
For example, in a question about "shaping the product", you had a maximum of 2 out of 4 marks fro marking out and a max of 2 out of 4 for details about cutting - whereas in 2010-14, you could get 3 for marking out and 1 for cutting, or vice versa - pretty much anything true was rewarded. It was also a lot stricter in 2015.

For me I can do all the essays and generally I can do the "make a trophy" questions, but the weird questions about materials/properties and what mechanisms are in some products I find really hard.

Overall I'm hoping for an A* (about 85/120) and in past papers I have been getting the A* regularly, but if hard questions come up; or if section A is weird, then I will pretty quickly drop to an A.

By the way, what do you think section A will be? I'm hoping either some sort of kneeler/sitter for the elderly, a storage unit or something to help them use their tools.

If it is that then I'm screwed. A kneeler/sitter is too vague in my opinion and I'd rather a storage unit be made.

I prefer the theory coursework as I can quite easily get close to full marks, but Section A is a pain because I'm not creative :frown:
Original post by Bulletzone
If it is that then I'm screwed. A kneeler/sitter is too vague in my opinion and I'd rather a storage unit be made.

I prefer the theory coursework as I can quite easily get close to full marks, but Section A is a pain because I'm not creative :frown:

I have pretty much preprepared those three things for Section A, but section B is very hard because the mark scheme can screw you over.
I have pretty much preprepared those three things for Section A, but section B is very hard because the mark scheme can screw you over.

May I just ask how many designs you have done for each?
May I just ask how many designs you have done for each?

5 for each one, and then I have done one in detail (in preparation for q3)
I'm doing it but not going to bother. This is a subject I shouldn't have even took. I certainly cannot make anything. Anyway I failed my coursework so no point in even bothering.
(edited 7 years ago)
5 for each one, and then I have done one in detail (in preparation for q3)

How have you done,

5 Kneelers
5 Storage Units and
5 Sitters

and I'm here with just 3 designs :colonhash:
How have you done,

5 Kneelers
5 Storage Units and
5 Sitters

Look things up on the internet and get some ideas - if they ask for five designs, they don't need to be totally different. If they ask for three, they do need to be quite different from each other.
Look things up on the internet and get some ideas - if they ask for five designs, they don't need to be totally different. If they ask for three, they do need to be quite different from each other.

Yeah but 5 Kneeling thing's isn't going to be easy, perhaps sitting I can pull of, but kneeling :colonhash:
Yeah but 5 Kneeling thing's isn't going to be easy, perhaps sitting I can pull of, but kneeling :colonhash:

They won't ask solely for kneelers, it will be a sitter and kneeler in one. Most of mine are multipurpose sitting and kneeling, but some are just sitting. I struggled with the fifth, but hey, it is possible.
They won't ask solely for kneelers, it will be a sitter and kneeler in one. Most of mine are multipurpose sitting and kneeling, but some are just sitting. I struggled with the fifth, but hey, it is possible.

Looks like I'm staying up until 3am :tongue:
Looks like I'm staying up until 3am :tongue:

Don't worry, you have until thursday and from what i can tell you are fine with the theory - so don't stay up to 3am; but it is a good idea to plan ideas and practice drawing them.
Don't worry, you have until thursday and from what i can tell you are fine with the theory - so don't stay up to 3am; but it is a good idea to plan ideas and practice drawing them.

Good luck :smile:
How have you done,

5 Kneelers
5 Storage Units and
5 Sitters

What's a sitter? Mind showing a picture, because I've prepared for the other two, but never heard of a sitter lol
Original post by Jono-Wolf
What's a sitter? Mind showing a picture, because I've prepared for the other two, but never heard of a sitter lol

Lol, Basically a seat.

How many designs have you done for the other 2 each?
Can Someone post a picture of their designs...

Spoiler

I've done nothing for it. Been focusing too much on my sciences. I have done about 10-15 ideas though in class which is not bad considering the context contributes to 25% of the exam.

Anyone have any topics I should revise?

EDIT: I'm actually really worried about the exam because I can't draw. I don't know how I'm going to overcome this because section A is worth 25% and I need to be scoring as many marks as possible. I can draw some 3D designs with a ruler pretty well but when it comes to freehand, I looks like a baby's mess! Do the quality of my drawings have a huge impact on the marks I get awarded?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BTAnonymous
I've done nothing for it. Been focusing too much on my sciences. I have done about 10-15 ideas though in class which is not bad considering the context contributes to 25% of the exam.

Anyone have any topics I should revise?

EDIT: I'm actually really worried about the exam because I can't draw. I don't know how I'm going to overcome this because section A is worth 25% and I need to be scoring as many marks as possible. I can draw some 3D designs with a ruler pretty well but when it comes to freehand, I looks like a baby's mess! Do the quality of my drawings have a huge impact on the marks I get awarded?

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to draw with a ruler in the exam... not necessarily free hand. I would revise materials and key processes. Do you mind sharing some of your ideas for the drawings?

Quick Reply

Latest