The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of my law degree...?

Hi, so basically I am in my second year of Law, I have had mitigating circumstances (illness, bereavement etc) and basically a terrible time over the past year, which has resulted in my overall mark being a high third/low 2:2.

I am intelligent and I don't want people to get the wrong idea and think I ended up with this due to being lazy and/or partying... I have only been on a night out twice since I started uni and I don't drink.

There's a chance I could bump up my mark to a 2:2 next year, but I'm scared I don't and I end up with a third. Is there any point in me taking it at all? Or should I just do another degree with the Open University and use my law school credits?

I just feel so disheartened and I don't know what to do...I really want to succeed in law and have had good legal work experience. But I am fairly sure I won't even be able to sit the LPC with a third....

Any advice will be appreciated :smile:
Original post by LanaLaw
Hi, so basically I am in my second year of Law, I have had mitigating circumstances (illness, bereavement etc) and basically a terrible time over the past year, which has resulted in my overall mark being a high third/low 2:2.

I am intelligent and I don't want people to get the wrong idea and think I ended up with this due to being lazy and/or partying... I have only been on a night out twice since I started uni and I don't drink.

There's a chance I could bump up my mark to a 2:2 next year, but I'm scared I don't and I end up with a third. Is there any point in me taking it at all? Or should I just do another degree with the Open University and use my law school credits?

I just feel so disheartened and I don't know what to do...I really want to succeed in law and have had good legal work experience. But I am fairly sure I won't even be able to sit the LPC with a third....

Did you make your university aware of your mitigating circumstances at the time?
Original post by LanaLaw

What did you get at A-level and in the first year?
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
Did you make your university aware of your mitigating circumstances at the time?

Unfortunately I was the "suffer in silence" type and told them shortly after my exams when things got too much, by which time it was too late to apply for mitigating circumstances as they have a very strict "fit to sit" rule (in which if you turn up for the exams, you are basically agreeing you are fine to do them)
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
What did you get at A-level and in the first year?

I got ABC at A level (but I missed 4 months of school due to being in hospital but my mitigating circumstances are accepted for that).

In my first exams when I did not have these circumstances I got 2.1's, that was two exams (and they don't count to the overall mark...) so the only ones which will contribute to my grade have been two 2:2's and two third results. One of the third results was 41% (scraping a pass) which is bringing my average down a lot.
Original post by LanaLaw
Unfortunately I was the "suffer in silence" type and told them shortly after my exams when things got too much, by which time it was too late to apply for mitigating circumstances as they have a very strict "fit to sit" rule (in which if you turn up for the exams, you are basically agreeing you are fine to do them)

Original post by LanaLaw
I got ABC at A level (but I missed 4 months of school due to being in hospital but my mitigating circumstances are accepted for that).

In my first exams when I did not have these circumstances I got 2.1's, that was two exams (and they don't count to the overall mark...) so the only ones which will contribute to my grade have been two 2:2's and two third results. One of the third results was 41% (scraping a pass) which is bringing my average down a lot.

Hopefully you don't 'suffer in silence' in the future. It is probably still worth talking to your tutor about your issues, given that you have slipped from first to second year.

What will your overall mark be for your second year, and what percentage of your degree is it?
Reply 6
Original post by ageshallnot
Hopefully you don't 'suffer in silence' in the future. It is probably still worth talking to your tutor about your issues, given that you have slipped from first to second year.

What will your overall mark be for your second year, and what percentage of your degree is it?

My average is 47% and 3rd year counts for 60%... Not sure what I'd need to get to maintain a 2.2
Original post by LanaLaw
My average is 47% and 3rd year counts for 60%... Not sure what I'd need to get to maintain a 2.2

You only need 52% to get a 2.2, 68.67% to get a 2.1. In fact the figures are probably slightly below that because most unis have methods of upgrading 'near misses' to the grade above - such as 'the higher class will be awarded if the candidate is within 2% of it overall, and 50% or more of their third-year grades are at the higher level'.
Reply 8
if i were you, i would drop out and retake. to get into a high performing law firm - you need a 1st.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending