The Student Room Group

How Hard Is Maths A Level?

Scroll to see replies

I'd say AS Maths is my easiest A level. I have done barely any work for it versus my other subjects.
If you listen and do a lot of questions from the textbook in lessons then you don't need to do revision other than a few papers before any mocks/exams.

There are 26 people in total in my year doing AS maths.
Next year it will go down to ~8 (the A2 class this year has only 5 people in it!) as there is a minimum requirement at my school for at least a D in AS Maths.
I mean from my perspective I don't see how it is difficult to get a D.
Some people just don't get it I guess. :/ Or can't cope with thinking under pressure in exams?

That is why some people say its the hardest because they just can't do it.
No matter how hard they try. I know some people who have done every single past paper properly and even twice sometimes getting decent marks. And then when it comes to the real exam they don't do that well.

It all depends.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
No source because it's false. Applies to just medicine.

Original post by Zacken
Yes, obviously. Those modules are fine, I haven't done them myself, only done (C1-4, M1-3, S1-3, FP1-3) but from my friends who have, they're perfectly manageable modules.

lol, no. That applies to just medicine. Further maths is a massive advantage for any science subject.

for medicine and biological sciences f maths and maths only count as one a level

Original post by 34908seikj
Source? I can understand medicine & it not being highly valued, but not thought of as an A level is so bs.
Original post by ARK_REVISES
U jus can't say that u are better off with some other subject other than maths. This will discourage even ppl who WANT to do it( not NEED to).
U should be saying u should live up to yo hearts content.

U think that way cos u kind of ppl have a hubristic nature making things like maths easy.

But what u did their is by flipping picking juz to look yoself smart. Lol go do flipping btec or apprenticeship pathetic bast......

Translation:

You should be saying "Live a full and satisfying life, be happy"
You're too arrogant, not everyone is good at maths. Stop making yourself look smart at the expense others, go do a BTEC or an apprenticeship.

Is that what you're trying to say? I could barely understand any of that...
Original post by 1jonam16
for medicine and biological sciences f maths and maths only count as one a level

That's not a source and thats ******** since it IS two subjects. At A2, the majority, or at least a lot of people drop one subject, so they only do three subjects. And according to you if you do further maths you have to do four A-levels essentially, that's ridiculous.
Maths is one of those subjects which I think if you have a natural flare for, you can find very easy. I personally found Maths to be my easiest A level by a long shot (F Maths not far behind). Subjects like Chemistry and English are just aids tho innit lol
Original post by Pentaquark
I'd say AS Maths is my easiest A level. I have done barely any work for it versus my other subjects.
If you listen and do a lot of questions from the textbook in lessons then you don't need to do revision other than a few papers before any mocks/exams.

There are 26 people in total in my year doing AS maths.
Next year it will go down to ~8 (the A2 class this year has only 5 people in it!) as there is a minimum requirement at my school for at least a D in AS Maths.
I mean from my perspective I don't see how it is difficult to get a D.
Some people just don't get it I guess. :/ Or can't cope with thinking under pressure in exams?

That is why some people say its the hardest because they just can't do it.
No matter how hard they try. I know some people who have done every single past paper properly and even twice sometimes getting decent marks. And then when it comes to the real exam they don't do that well.

It all depends.

What did you get in your GCSEs and what are your other A-level subjects if you dont mind me asking :smile:
Original post by CaiusMartius
Maths is one of those subjects which I think if you have a natural flare for, you can find very easy. I personally found Maths to be my easiest A level by a long shot (F Maths not far behind). Subjects like Chemistry and English are just aids tho innit lol

What were your GCSE results and A-level results if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
What did you get in your GCSEs and what are your other A-level subjects if you dont mind me asking :smile:

GCSEs 10A*s
For AS I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
Further Maths I pretty much self teach as my school doesn't offer it so that is why I probably find maths AS to be fairly straight forward I guess.
Chemistry is easy once you 'get it', at the start I found it to be the hardest but you adjust.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pentaquark
GCSEs 10A*s
For AS I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry
Further Maths I pretty much self teach as my school doesn't offer it so that is why I probably find maths AS to be fairly straight forward I guess.
Chemistry is easy once you 'get it', at the start I found it to be the hardest but you adjust.

Jesus you're a smart one then that's probably why matsh is so easy for you :wink:
Translation:

You should be saying "Live a full and satisfying life, be happy"
You're too arrogant, not everyone is good at maths. Stop making yourself look smart at the expense others, go do a BTEC or an apprenticeship.
I know

Is that what you're trying to say? I could barely understand any of that...

I know hard for plebs to understand colloquialism
maths a level is genuinely one of the easiest a levels you can take... I do the sciences too and can confidently say they are all much harder than maths...
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
What were your GCSE results and A-level results if you don't mind me asking :smile:

11 A*s and 1 A at GCSE.

Doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, English Lit and Chem
Original post by Zacken
Huh? This makes no sense. Lots of people don't find it challenging in the slightest. Why would you not recommend it to them?

Perhaps I didn't make my post clear enough. Maths A level becomes an issue when you're studying 3 or 4 other completely different and demanding subjects such as computing or accounting (from my experience at least) or essay based subjects that require a lot of revision. This is because there is a lot of course content in maths and it requires a lot of practice or its easily forgotten.

Maths requires a lot of effort when you have to prepare for exams ;(you do have to prepare a lot for the exams to get a good grade in comparison to other subjects) which is likely to affect your other chosen subjects.

However if you take maths, further maths, physics or similar courses its definitely much easier because you're effectively not having to revise 4 or 5 different things at the same time.

That's why I wouldn't recommend it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know this is the wrong thread, but after the Edexcel GCSE maths exam on Thursday I'm pretty confident that I've done well... I was sh**ing myself before the Calc exam

Anyone else feel the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Himani Vadhia
I know this is the wrong thread, but after the Edexcel GCSE maths exam on Thursday I'm pretty confident that I've done well... I was sh**ing myself before the Calc exam

Anyone else feel the same?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I revised and did all I could, and was confident going in.
That's not a source and thats ******** since it IS two subjects. At A2, the majority, or at least a lot of people drop one subject, so they only do three subjects. And according to you if you do further maths you have to do four A-levels essentially, that's ridiculous.

I can't remember where exactly I got told this, I either read it or got it from a Cambrdige conference I went to, or maybe it was a teacher. Sorry, i can't be of any use. I guess it is true though, for medicine, what use is there in 2 maths qualifications, they don't realy test different skills, since they are in the branch of mathematics and don't stretch into degree level, where the field self-divides.

I revised got the past 2 years and I was scared before I went in but was ok after I came out because the paper was good...
How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I revised for the past 2 years and I was scared before I went in but was ok after I came out because the paper was good...
How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Himani Vadhia
I revised got the past 2 years and I was scared before I went in but was ok after I came out because the paper was good...
How did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First paper harder than the second, however I should have done better in both. I dropped around 4 marks for misreading questions and silly mistakes, while on paper two I dropped 8 for said reason. I still should get an A* though since I got a minimum of 85 on the first paper and 92 on the second.

All-in-all a fairly nice paper.
Maths a level is fairly easy. The a2 maybe a bit tough. I have no clue about the new syllabuses, i am speaking of the one thats ending this year.

Quick Reply

Latest