The Student Room Group

A unified exam board - equal for all

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kryptonian
Only one exam would have to be designed so quite simple?
Everyone should have to do triple.

Exactly - imagine how easy it would be if everyone just did the same thing... no more confusion...
Disagree. I think its good you have choice. Would you also like only one uni, one car, one tv channel etc.
Teachers are free to select the one that approaches the subject the way they want to teach it.

I'm a supporter of foundation level. because not everyone has the same ability and you cna have a different more detailed approach that is prepresentative of a C cap. A c is importnat for those who wnat to go into employment, but might tkae their education no further.
Original post by Martins1
Exactly - imagine how easy it would be if everyone just did the same thing... no more confusion...

Yes and it would be so much better with more resources, better education as it becomes more competitive for students etc..
Reply 23
Original post by 999tigger
Disagree. I think its good you have choice. Would you also like only one uni, one car, one tv channel etc.
Teachers are free to select the one that approaches the subject the way they want to teach it.

I'm a supporter of foundation level. because not everyone has the same ability and you cna have a different more detailed approach that is prepresentative of a C cap. A c is importnat for those who wnat to go into employment, but might tkae their education no further.

I can understand where you are coming from in terms of teacher's like to have options in the what they teach. But, if you think about it, the purpose of the teacher is to give us the tools and knowledge needed to maximise the possible grade we could achieve in our exams. Furthermore, having all teachers teaching the same content would highlight if teachers are underperforming or regularly fail to achieve good scores with their classes. Having a variety of content for the teachers' to teach simply burdens them on top of the work they have to do for all their other classes
Original post by Flyer24
I'd still argue that 4 different boards is excessive. My initial quote of 6 includes boards commonly used by foreign students who then emigrate to country before they enter university. Thus putting themselves in a situation where they need to be judged alongside students that have gone through the education system in this country.

Loads of foreign students come here having studied something other that A levels, then there's the IB and pre-U which some schools choose in preference to A levels and the Scots who take Highers not A levels. Getting rid of some A level exam boards is not going to make the system consistent.
Original post by Flyer24
I can understand where you are coming from in terms of teacher's like to have options in the what they teach. But, if you think about it, the purpose of the teacher is to give us the tools and knowledge needed to maximise the possible grade we could achieve in our exams. Furthermore, having all teachers teaching the same content would highlight if teachers are underperforming or regularly fail to achieve good scores with their classes. Having a variety of content for the teachers' to teach simply burdens them on top of the work they have to do for all their other classes

No it doesnt it. They pick one exam board and syllabus then stick with it.
Within any exam there are all sorts of options ofr a teacher decide on, which novels to study, which periods of history etc. If they opick one then it doesnt increase their burden. It gives teachers a limited choice as to what they feel would be most suitable for them to teach.

Education is more thna just exams.

No it wouldnt underline underperforming becayse results are a lot more complex than just what teachers they have.
Reply 26
Original post by Compost
Loads of foreign students come here having studied something other that A levels, then there's the IB and pre-U which some schools choose in preference to A levels and the Scots who take Highers not A levels. Getting rid of some A level exam boards is not going to make the system consistent.

Granted it would be an exceedingly difficult change to make on a global scale as you would be asking foreign students to take exams on the principle that they would be attending higher education facilities in the UK. However, I believe it could be possible on a domestic scale, as realistically 90% of the students attending universities in this country will be native to the UK. This gives a much higher level of consistency than the current system. It isn't perfect but it would be a markable improvement

In Maths and Sciences there is a lot to be said for standard content (and it is pretty much standard already), but are you really suggesting the the whole country should have to study the same historical period in History and the same set books?
Original post by Flyer24
Granted it would be an exceedingly difficult change to make on a global scale as you would be asking foreign students to take exams on the principle that they would be attending higher education facilities in the UK. However, I believe it could be possible on a domestic scale, as realistically 90% of the students attending universities in this country will be native to the UK. This gives a much higher level of consistency than the current system. It isn't perfect but it would be a markable improvement

Things are currently getting further apart. Scotland has had a different system for years but England, Wales and Northern Ireland used to have a system bound by the same rules,. Greater devolution in those countries now means that their education systems are no longer following the same regulations as England.
Reply 29
No it doesnt it. They pick one exam board and syllabus then stick with it.
Within any exam there are all sorts of options ofr a teacher decide on, which novels to study, which periods of history etc. If they opick one then it doesnt increase their burden. It gives teachers a limited choice as to what they feel would be most suitable for them to teach.

Education is more thna just exams.

No it wouldnt underline underperforming becayse results are a lot more complex than just what teachers they have.

The fact is education is just exams. Regardless of how things should be, we have to look at the honest truth. How you do in education is based principally upon the results you achieve in your GCSE's and A-levels. Also the idea that teachers don't have an increased work load due to having to pick different material sets for each year group is preposterous. A uniform set of exams and material would allow teachers to have a clear outline of what they are doing and not have to teach in different ways dependant upon how that exam board marks
Original post by Compost
In Maths and Sciences there is a lot to be said for standard content (and it is pretty much standard already), but are you really suggesting the the whole country should have to study the same historical period in History and the same set books?

No - they could just have a choice of options - like in A level. In english you can still do many different books for the same exam. For example in my english GCSE we have a choice of 8 books, but you only study one. Same is true of these exams.

By the way I don't agree with one unified board, for other reasons, but I am just thinking about how awesome it would be to have no confusion about boards.
Reply 31
Original post by Compost
Things are currently getting further apart. Scotland has had a different system for years but England, Wales and Northern Ireland used to have a system bound by the same rules,. Greater devolution in those countries now means that their education systems are no longer following the same regulations as England.

That's very true. The issue being that the education system cannot account for political divide. It would possibly be more beneficial for England, Wales and N.ireland to form into one education system with the Scots running their own system. This may work better as neither Wales or N.Ireland are particularly bothered about independence or at least with the same public approval as in Scotland
No - they could just have a choice of options - like in A level. In english you can still do many different books for the same exam. For example in my english GCSE we have a choice of 8 books, but you only study one.

As soon as you have a choice then (according to the logic of people saying there should be only one board) you have difficulty ensuring that the assessment is standard.
By the way I don't agree with one unified board, for other reasons, but I am just thinking about how awesome it would be to have no confusion about boards.

I'm not sure there is any confusion. Why do you think there is?
Original post by Flyer24
That's very true. The issue being that the education system cannot account for political divide. It would possibly be more beneficial for England, Wales and N.ireland to form into one education system with the Scots running their own system. This may work better as neither Wales or N.Ireland are particularly bothered about independence or at least with the same public approval as in Scotland

We had a joint system. Wales and NI didn't like the education reforms over the past 4 years and so have gone their own way.
Reply 34
Original post by Compost
As soon as you have a choice then (according to the logic of people saying there should be only one board) you have difficulty ensuring that the assessment is standard.

I believe the confusion is more to do with disparity in difficulty of exams rather than people being confused about which exams they take and so forth.
Original post by Flyer24
The fact is education is just exams. Regardless of how things should be, we have to look at the honest truth. How you do in education is based principally upon the results you achieve in your GCSE's and A-levels. Also the idea that teachers don't have an increased work load due to having to pick different material sets for each year group is preposterous. A uniform set of exams and material would allow teachers to have a clear outline of what they are doing and not have to teach in different ways dependant upon how that exam board marks

But it isnt. Only shortsighted people have that view. Grades are important. but there is more to education.

You overplay the issue of choosing a syllabus you like. Preposterous lol. Often a school will already have a favoured exam board, so the choice will be made.

You are the enemy of choice. You can teach a subject different ways, whilst still remaining within the strict criteria.

Only syudy one book, one period of history etc. Something like the communists must have done.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 36
Original post by Compost
We had a joint system. Wales and NI didn't like the education reforms over the past 4 years and so have gone their own way.

Well with that knowledge then each country has its own uniform set of exams and each country can judge there own students equally. There would have to be a form of conversion to transfer scores from each country to one-another.
Original post by Compost

No, it is tightly controlled by an overarching board, and the discrepancies are so small that they rarely span a grade/change the grade you get. The fact is that if you work you will get the grades you deserve. One exam may be harder than another; but the grade boundaries and UMS standardization techniques pretty much makes it niversally fair.

Well often I ask people if they do AQA english, they say yes; but i forget that they are doing GCSE as opposed to my iGCSE, so we do different exams. It just makes it more difficult to discuss exams with each other as we do different ones; makes it harder to revise with people out of school and means that mark schemes/help is less standardized. Not really confusion, but difficulty; I suppose.
Reply 38
But it isnt. Only shortsighted people have that view. Grades are important. but there is more to education.

You overplay the issue of choosing a syllabus you like. Preposterous lol. Often a school will already have a favoured exam board, so the choice will be made.

You are the enemy of choice. You can teach a subject different ways, whilst still remaining within the strict criteria.

Don't state that i'm shortsighted just because you are not willing to understand the idea that exams are important and are effectively the be all and end all. By all means be an idealist thats fine but don't criticise me just because you wish you had better or scores or you are attempting to ratify your own failure to yourself. Your grades define your school career. You do not achieve extra marks for being nice or kind or a talented sportsman. You are defined by exams. Things shouldn't be as they are but we are so we work within the system that we are given
No, it is tightly controlled by an overarching board, and the discrepancies are so small that they rarely span a grade/change the grade you get. The fact is that if you work you will get the grades you deserve. One exam may be harder than another; but the grade boundaries and UMS standardization techniques pretty much makes it niversally fair.

This is the role that Ofqual has across all the English exam boards and they do regularly make the boards change grade boundaries in order to ensure that exams for different boards are comparable.
Well often I ask people if they do AQA english, they say yes; but i forget that they are doing GCSE as opposed to my iGCSE, so we do different exams. It just makes it more difficult to discuss exams with each other as we do different ones; makes it harder to revise with people out of school and means that mark schemes/help is less standardized. Not really confusion, but difficulty; I suppose.

There will be a lot less of this in future for state schools as they will not be able to teach any IGCSEs any more (there're a lot they can't teach now) and the choice will go back to just GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest