The Student Room Group

CHEMISTRY INITIAL RATES! Help!

Scroll to see replies

I got the final rate as 1x10^-5 hopefully thats right. Seems we have some good teachers here so you wont be needing me :smile:
Original post by Poooky
Try and explain it back to me :smile:

(Basically because rate equations are just components being multiplied, you can separate them and work out what happens which each bit, without it affecting the other bit, eg 2*3*4, you can separate to (2*3)*4=6*4=24. In the same way, you can separate out the effect of changing two components, and just change one, and then the other)

You're welcome :biggrin:

I can't even explain it to you! I'm actually terrible! I don't think there is another way for you to explain this, I'm actually just bad! Sorry I've spent so much of your time! I guess I'll just have to revise the topic again!

Thank you for your help! Any suggestions for succeeding in A2 Chem?
Original post by chhhhelsie
I got the final rate as 1x10^-5 hopefully thats right. Seems we have some good teachers here so you wont be needing me :smile:

Correct!

Original post by greentron6
I can't even explain it to you! I'm actually terrible! I don't think there is another way for you to explain this, I'm actually just bad! Sorry I've spent so much of your time! I guess I'll just have to revise the topic again!

Thank you for your help! Any suggestions for succeeding in A2 Chem?

Hmm what part is specifically troubling you? Is it changing two variables at once?

Just do loads and loads of past paper questions and check the answers and go through any questions you can't do- basically what you're doing now! :biggrin:
Original post by Poooky
Correct!

Hmm what part is specifically troubling you? Is it changing two variables at once?

Just do loads and loads of past paper questions and check the answers and go through any questions you can't do- basically what you're doing now! :biggrin:

I'm stuck with the comparison you made between A and B. How did one halve and the other double?
I'm stuck with the comparison you made between A and B. How did one halve and the other double?

That's with respect to their initial concentrations- so compare the concentrations of A and B in exp 2 with 4 in my drawing, or 2 and 3 in your question. How are they changing?
Original post by Poooky
That's with respect to their initial concentrations- so compare the concentrations of A and B in exp 2 with 4 in my drawing, or 2 and 3 in your question. How are they changing?

B doubles in conc., and A halves in conc. and the initial rate for both stay the same.
B doubles in conc., and A halves in conc. and the initial rate for both stay the same.

Ignore A for a second, imagine you did an experiment, keeping A and C the same and you doubled B. You know B is first order. What do you expect the rate to be?
Original post by Poooky
Ignore A for a second, imagine you did an experiment, keeping A and C the same and you doubled B. You know B is first order. What do you expect the rate to be?

The rate will also double.
The rate will also double.

Yup. So now do another experiment, this time keeping B and C the same as your first experiment. You half A. You're TOLD that the rate has now halved. So B,C the same. A halves. Rate halves. What is the order of A?
Original post by Poooky
Yup. So now do another experiment, this time keeping B and C the same as your first experiment. You half A. You're TOLD that the rate has now halved. So B,C the same. A halves. Rate halves. What is the order of A?

First order.
First order.

Correct. So in all, you have done 2 experiments and there was an initial experiment (for comparison)

MY ROWS ARE MESSED UP! Will make a proper table to make it easier!

Initial: A B C Rate
1st exp A Double B C Double Rate

Now compare 1st exp, and 2nd exp:
2nd exp Half A Double B C Half double rate =1/2 *2=1*Rate= Rate

Therefore, comparing initial and exp, same rate! A halves, B doubled, both first order

Any clearer? :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Poooky
Correct. So in all, you have done 2 experiments and there was an initial experiment (for comparison)

MY ROWS ARE MESSED UP! Will make a proper table to make it easier!

Now compare 1st exp, and 2nd exp:

Therefore, comparing initial and exp, same rate! A halves, B doubled, both first order

Any clearer? :redface:

OH! I understand now! Thank you so much!
OH! I understand now! Thank you so much!

YAY! :biggrin:

Made the table so may as well upload it, hopefully it helps someone else:

did it.png

Quick Reply

Latest