The Student Room Group

A unified exam board - equal for all

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flyer24
Don't state that i'm shortsighted just because you are not willing to understand the idea that exams are important and are effectively the be all and end all. By all means be an idealist thats fine but don't criticise me just because you wish you had better or scores or you are attempting to ratify your own failure to yourself. Your grades define your school career. You do not achieve extra marks for being nice or kind or a talented sportsman. You are defined by exams. Things shouldn't be as they are but we are so we work within the system that we are given

Despite grades defining us at a base level, your activities, achievements and interviews have just a much a influence when getting a job or a uni placement. People always undersetimate the power of the interview. Think about it - the professor interviewing lives and breathes their subject, and so if you don't show interest, they won't want to teach and accept you. Similarly, if you are not a nice person, they won't want to.
Although its difficult to appreciate at this time (i completely understand), if you are a kind person, other people will help you through life, regardless of your grades. I can understand why people think that grades are the be all and end all; but the fact is that in wider life, especailly when we are older, it is kindness and who we are that will define us - it may not get us a job, but it'll make us happier than the rich person who hates their job.
Original post by Flyer24
Don't state that i'm shortsighted just because you are not willing to understand the idea that exams are important and are effectively the be all and end all. By all means be an idealist thats fine but don't criticise me just because you wish you had better or scores or you are attempting to ratify your own failure to yourself. Your grades define your school career. You do not achieve extra marks for being nice or kind or a talented sportsman. You are defined by exams. Things shouldn't be as they are but we are so we work within the system that we are given

Hilarious. You know nothing about me or my exams. Yes I think you are shortsighted. Exam grades are important, but they arent all education exists for.
Im not attempting to ratify anything I just believe a system with a bit of choice as long as they stick to the overlying criteria is better.
Original post by Compost
This is the role that Ofqual has across all the English exam boards and they do regularly make the boards change grade boundaries in order to ensure that exams for different boards are comparable.

There will be a lot less of this in future for state schools as they will not be able to teach any IGCSEs any more (there're a lot they can't teach now) and the choice will go back to just GCSEs.

All true, but as I go to a private school, it can pretty much do what it likes. It is continuing to do AS levels and is moving towards pretty much universally doig IGCSES
Reply 43
Original post by Martins1
Despite grades defining us at a base level, your activities, achievements and interviews have just a much a influence when getting a job or a uni placement. People always undersetimate the power of the interview. Think about it - the professor interviewing lives and breathes their subject, and so if you don't show interest, they won't want to teach and accept you. Similarly, if you are not a nice person, they won't want to.
Although its difficult to appreciate at this time (i completely understand), if you are a kind person, other people will help you through life, regardless of your grades. I can understand why people think that grades are the be all and end all; but the fact is that in wider life, especailly when we are older, it is kindness and who we are that will define us - it may not get us a job, but it'll make us happier than the rich person who hates their job.

I agree with the principle of your statement with the idea of loving your subject and loving your job. But this is a thread discussing the possibility of unified exams and this has veered more into the importance of the exam itself. While i still maintain that exams are extremely important and some people decide to underplay them to hide insecurities about their own failure i do agree that having an interest in a subject along with general good social skills are beneficial to your future
Reply 44
Original post by 999tigger
Hilarious. You know nothing about me or my exams. Yes I think you are shortsighted. Exam grades are important, but they arent all education exists for.
Im not attempting to ratify anything I just believe a system with a bit of choice as long as they stick to the overlying criteria is better.

I made a comment about you in the same off-hand way that you commented about myself. You can trick yourself into thinking failure in exams will be outweighed by your social and sporting ability but the letters next to your subjects will be an everlasting testament to your failure.
It's something I've always wandered too. When I did my GCSEs I was on various exam boards. Wjec for catering. Aqa for english lit and textiles. Edexcel for Maths and French. OCR for science. Cambridge igcse for english language.
Although it's nice to be able to choose I feel like having one unified exam board will make things more simple
Original post by Flyer24
I made a comment about you in the same off-hand way that you commented about myself. You can trick yourself into thinking failure in exams will be outweighed by your social and sporting ability but the letters next to your subjects will be an everlasting testament to your failure.

No need to trick myself into anything. No idea why you keep banging on about failure. Care to explain.
I guess it would be too much for any one company to organise. But I do think it is a good idea. If only we could get everyone in the country to agree on what should be on the syllabus for each subject and how difficult the exams should be.
I personally think just a much more useful set of exams (i.e about 5x as many exams per student) would be so so advantageous.
1) If you're sitting 50 exams instead of 10, every year, the pressure of exams will go down. Each one means less.
2) Tiny mistakes become less significant. In some exams these days, you can go down a whole grade by a carried forward mistake - which seems outrageous to me.
3) There's too much content we learn that never comes up. Why not test everything - all your doing is adding an element of chance to supposedly representative scores.

This, may I add, would also drastically decrease disparities between exam boards purely due to how much more representative results would be.
Original post by niv1234
If only we could get everyone in the country to agree on what should be on the syllabus for each subject and how difficult the exams should be.

Really? As if most of the country knew enough or cared.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
I personally think just a much more useful set of exams (i.e about 5x as many exams per student) would be so so advantageous.
1) If you're sitting 50 exams instead of 10, every year, the pressure of exams will go down. Each one means less.
2) Tiny mistakes become less significant. In some exams these days, you can go down a whole grade by a carried forward mistake - which seems outrageous to me.
3) There's too much content we learn that never comes up. Why not test everything - all your doing is adding an element of chance to supposedly representative scores.

This, may I add, would also drastically decrease disparities between exam boards purely due to how much more representative results would be.

I understand your logic but have you considered how much this would cost to organise - I work at a pretty average sized school and our exams budget is around £125,000 a year now - or how much teaching time this would lose?
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Original post by Compost
I understand your logic but have you considered how much this would cost to organise - I work at a pretty average sized school and our exams budget is around £125,000 a year now - or how much teaching time this would lose?

@ComputerMaths, if we do 5x as many exams, I would be doing 125 - I currently do 11 subjects and 25 exams. Think about how much time thqat would take up - it would be impossible to have them all at one time of year, which would mean spreading them across the year, which is basically CA's/ISA's and would end up being more like topic tests - so there would be no element of surprise and peolple would learn small syllabi at many points throughout the year. As @compost says exams cost so much money, use up a tonne of paper and take up huge amounts of time - marking still takes two months currently at full rate - I certainly couldn't wait ten months for my results.
Original post by Flyer24
I agree with the principle of your statement with the idea of loving your subject and loving your job. But this is a thread discussing the possibility of unified exams and this has veered more into the importance of the exam itself. While i still maintain that exams are extremely important and some people decide to underplay them to hide insecurities about their own failure i do agree that having an interest in a subject along with general good social skills are beneficial to your future

I agree with you as I think that it will be much fairer if there is a unified exam board as the results that students like us get will be comparable.:smile: At the end everyone applies to similar university and sixth form places and the grades are the most important.:h: It would be better if everyone did the same exam so that pupils are disadvantaged. Although exam boards do base their grade boundaries on how bad students did so they will lower the boundaries for bad exams. But a unified exam board is a good idea in my opinion.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest