The Student Room Group

Stanford rapist serving only 3 months

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JordanL_
Maybe you should care because when you ruin someone's life you make them significantly more likely to reoffend?

What purpose does ruining his life serve? How does it benefit the victim? How does it benefit society? "He deserves it" is hardly the kind of reasoning we should base our justice system on.

what? the whole point on sending someone off to prison is so they learn that what they did was horrible. of course, everyone is different, they may not learn anything at all and re-offend when they are released, but since this stanford student is so smart he should be able to clearly understand the consequences for his actions therefore not re-offend.

'how does it benefit the victim' simple, now the victim knows that he's in a prison cell and not roaming around the streets, therefore probably making the victim more at ease that he's not out to get her or something idk
Original post by melisss22
what? the whole point on sending someone off to prison is so they learn that what they did was horrible. of course, everyone is different, they may not learn anything at all and re-offend when they are released, but since this stanford student is so smart he should be able to clearly understand the consequences for his actions therefore not re-offend.

What a ridiculous oversimplification. There's evidence to suggest that longer prison sentences often don't decrease the chance to reoffend, and often increase the chance of reoffending. If you take someone with a bright future and strip that away from them, you're again increasing their chance of reoffending.

We have judges to determine whether a long prison sentence is going to work or not. If someone is genuinely remorseful, and you do your best to ruin their life, you're just working really hard to make sure they become repeat offenders. The justice system should NOT be a democracy, and judges should be free to make these difficult decisions without being criticised by people who know nothing about the case and nothing about criminology. Changing prison sentences because an angry mob has formed on Facebook severely undermines the justice system.

'how does it benefit the victim' simple, now the victim knows that he's in a prison cell and not roaming around the streets, therefore probably making the victim more at ease that he's not out to get her or something idk

If that's what we're aiming for, we'll need to lock him up until he dies. But that's obviously not going to happen.

I agree that more should be done to reassure the victim. I don't know much about it so this might already be the case, but I think he should be monitored after he's released for some time.
Why is America so ****ed up? They were supposed to have the toughest criminal justice system in the Western world. They have executed serial rapists before, like Ted Bundy.
Original post by dtin
Why is America so ****ed up? They were supposed to have the toughest criminal justice system in the Western world. They have executed serial rapists before, like Ted Bundy.

That's a misrepresentation, the death penalty was imposed for the three murders he was convicted of. He wasn't even convicted of any rapes as far I remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nerol
When he gets out, it will be extremely difficult for him to reintegrate into his normal social circles. He will be alienated. Probably expelled from college, his once bright future will be ruined. This will be on his criminal record forever. As a young man who had such a bright future ahead of him, he has a lot to lose. I do want to point out that I don't agree with his sentence, I and believe it should have been longer. I just wanted to point out that the punishment doesn't just end when you leave prison, and everything goes back to normal, especially with a sexual offence.

perhaps the "punishment" when he leaves prison would be less severe if

1. He had been given a longer sentence

2. He actually showed any sign of recognising that what he did was wrong
Original post by Underscore__
That's a misrepresentation, the death penalty was imposed for the three murders he was convicted of. He wasn't even convicted of any rapes as far I remember

Posted from TSR Mobile

He did actually commit 36 murders and rapes
Original post by dtin
He did actually commit 36 murders and rapes

Well maybe he did, but he was sentenced to death for three murders. He wasn't executed for being a serial rapist

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unpopular opinion incoming.

I don't think he should have his whole life ruined because of one stupid decision. Sure, what he did was retarded but the public shame he'll receive for the next decade or so is more than enough of a punishment.
What the **** is 10 years in jail gonna do? There are crimes WAY worse than what he did. His punishment of 6 months is fine.

inb4 you call me a 'rapist sympathiser'
Well maybe he did, but he was sentenced to death for three murders. He wasn't executed for being a serial rapist

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was an Oklahoma policeman who was recently given 263 years for being a serial rapist.
Original post by dtin
There was an Oklahoma policeman who was recently given 263 years for being a serial rapist.

Seems reasonable...

That doesn't change the fact that Ted Bundy was not executed for being a serial rapist

Posted from TSR Mobile
the left wing media are all over this like "**** YESSS!!!!!!!!!!! WEVE FINALLY FOUND A REAL RAPIST ON CAMPUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

which is as disturbing as the light sentence in this case (which i havent researched so wont comment on)
I hope he drops the soap in prison:smile:
It seems very lenient but TAA makes a convincing case for it actually being this short based around the idea that sentences in the US are already too large, and are designed more for punishment than rehabilitation, which I personally think should be the goal of prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMAKkUO-HnA
Seems reasonable...

That doesn't change the fact that Ted Bundy was not executed for being a serial rapist

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about Jeffrey Dahmer?
Original post by dtin
What about Jeffrey Dahmer?

1. He was sentenced to death
2. To the best of my knowledge all of his indictments were for murder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BirdIsWord
Unpopular opinion incoming.

I don't think he should have his whole life ruined because of one stupid decision. Sure, what he did was retarded but the public shame he'll receive for the next decade or so is more than enough of a punishment.
What the **** is 10 years in jail gonna do? There are crimes WAY worse than what he did. His punishment of 6 months is fine.

inb4 you call me a 'rapist sympathiser'

I wonder if you were raped you'd think the same.

This post of yours is just perfectly congruent with the rest of your troll-like posts, "alpha" boy.

Lol...
Original post by epage
The stanford rapist is actually only serving three months of his six month sentence for the rape he committed

He wasn't convicted of rape.
Original post by Thutmose-III
He wasn't convicted of rape.

Unconsented penetration is no better though.
Original post by Twinpeaks
Unconsented penetration is no better though.

That's up for dispute, but my comment relates to accuracy; it is simply inaccurate to call him a rapist. He wasn't convicted of rape.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I wonder if you were raped you'd think the same.

This post of yours is just perfectly congruent with the rest of your troll-like posts, "alpha" boy.

Lol...

That response has always annoyed me. Sentencing isn't about emotional responses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending