The Student Room Group

If you don't leave the EU you're weak

Scroll to see replies

Agreed. Many of the remainers tend to be the emasculated type.Carl the cuck would back remain, don't be like Carl.

82c.jpg
Yes, leave the EU. Cut all ties with Europe despite the fact that you're 31km from the mainland. Annex back India, South Africa and Pakistan for the Empire. Declare war on Spain and France. Sky is the limit when you want to be xenophobic, isolationist and pretend that this union is somehow bad for you.

Who in their right conscience raises this bunch of right-wing bigots?
Reply 22
Original post by Withengar
Cut all ties with Europe despite the fact that you're 31km from the mainland.

"‘We need to co-operate with our neighbours,’ say Remainers, as if someone somewhere were objecting to the idea.
Were the EU simply a common market, a regional bloc like Nafta or Asean, no one would have a problem with it.
What makes the EU different from every other international association is that it legislates for its members.
In any conflict between a parliamentary statute and the ruling of a Brussels institution, the latter takes precedence.
This legal supremacy, which was not challenged during the renegotiation, is the basis for the political merger of the member states.
The EU has acquired, one by one, the attributes and trappings of nationhood: a president and a foreign minister, citizenship and a passport, treaty-making powers, a criminal justice system, a written constitution, a flag and a national anthem.
It is these things that Leavers object to, not the commerce and co-operation that we would continue to enjoy, as every neighbouring country does."
Original post by The Roast
Isn't staying in the EU a gamble too?

Won't it also permanently affect your future generations too?

Leave or remain will have an affect on our future generations.....the difference is that we know what the EU offers and what it would give to our future generations unlike the risk of leaving
Reply 24
Original post by Frankie32
Leave or remain will have an affect on our future generations.....the difference is that we know what the EU offers and what it would give to our future generations unlike the risk of leaving

You say that, but do you? Do you know if the EU will change our rebate? Do you know if we'll be forced into ever-closer union? Do you know if the Common Ports Policy will pass? Do you know if Turkey will be admitted to the EU?
Original post by Withengar

Who in their right conscience raises this bunch of right-wing bigots?

You do realise that if it happens, it will be disaffected traditional labour voters that will carry the day.
Andy Burnham has realised it, but much too late.
The leave campaign just uses empty statements to try and convey why we should leave. Things like 'take back control of our borders' or 'we are a strong country and are more than capable of surviving'. There's plenty of evidence on the remain side, aswell as countless politicians supporting it, and the leave side has never come up with something substantial. It doesn't make sense how anyone can support a leave vote anymore, it must be like screaming into an empty void.

Also, we aren't just going to sit there and watch if the EU does take us down a darker road. Since this referendum has happened, it's shead light on everything that needs observing regarding the EU, so they wont try anything else we'll be gone.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm already weak what difference will voting in make
Original post by Frankie32
Leaving the EU would be a mistake as it's a gamble.Some gambles are worth taking but this is definitely not worth it as your not just gambling your own life but our future generations too.

It's pathetic that someone has up-voted you when you haven't even provided your reasons / reasoning.

From this we can only presume your reasoning is "because Cameron said so." / "because many economists said so." / "because authority / authorities said so."

Now this is to you and everyone else...

Staying in the EU is also a gamble; you're being optimistic as to whether the EU is going to have any reforms, you're taking a gamble as to whether the shrinking trading bloc is going to reverse its situation (only shrinking trading bloc in the world!)

It's deplorable, really, and it's deplorable you're going to be giving up my democratic influence on my behalf. I don't care if you want to be told what to do and I don't care if you don't want to have the option in the future, but I do care when you take everyone else down with you.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Craig1998
so they wont try anything else we'll be gone.

We've threatened to leave. We're about to hold a referendum. We sent our most senior elected politician to negotiate change. What did we get? Nothing but threats.
The EU will not change for anyone.

A Remain vote will be seen in Brussels as a capitulation.
Look at it from the point of view of a Euro-federalist.
Britain would have demanded trivial reforms, failed to secure even those, and then voted to stay in on unchanged terms.
After decades of growling and snarling, the bulldog would have rolled over and whimpered.

A number of plans have been postponed in Brussels pending our vote: the ban on powerful electrical appliances; licensing rules that will decimate London’s art market; the Ports Services Directive, which was opposed by every commercial port in Britain, every trade union and (for what it’s worth) every British MEP.
But that secured a majority anyway, only to be deferred at the last moment until after our referendum.

But that’s just the start. With the possibility of Brexit off the table, there will be a renewed push to integration, on everything from migrant quotas to a higher EU budget.
Reply 30
Original post by XcitingStuart
I don't care if you want to be told what to do and I don't care if you don't want to have the option in the future, but I do care when you take everyone else down with you.

****ing this
Original post by Craig1998
The leave campaign just uses empty statements to try and convey why we should leave. Things like 'take back control of our borders' or 'we are a strong country and are more than capable of surviving'. There's plenty of evidence on the remain side, aswell as countless politicians supporting it, and the leave side has never come up with something substantial. It doesn't make sense how anyone can support a leave vote anymore, it must be like screaming into an empty void.

Also, we aren't just going to sit there and watch if the EU does take us down a darker road. Since this referendum has happened, it's shead light on everything that needs observing regarding the EU, so they wont try anything else we'll be gone.

Considering rebate the UK pays £35 million per day into the EU.
Considering rebate and EU budget spent on the UK the UK pays ~£24 million a day into the EU.
The UK doesn't get to decide how the EU budget spent on the UK is spent.
The EU budget spent on the UK comes with an EU flag; propaganda, despite the excess of ~£24 million/day.

The EU Emission Trading Scheme increases cost of producing energy.
Energy providers recompensate by increasing energy prices.
Other energy providers just relocate to countries which have lax carbon laws, meaning that carbon emission reduction isn't to the same extent.

High energy prices.
The EU Emission Trading Scheme increases cost of producing steel as well.
Low EU tariff on dumped Chinese steel (though David Cameron's Government in the remain camp rejected tariff increases.)
All three destroying our steel industry, causing redundancy usw. usf.

It is in the EU's interest to continue trading with us after a brexit because we are currently the biggest export market for the rest of the EU.

The EU is the only shrinking trading bloc in the world (though I admit here I don't fully understand the implications of that, so go do your own research.)

The EU has a system of degressive proportionality, making us only have 9.71% of the voting power, despite constituting 12.74% of the population.

MEPs can't initiate legislation, repeal or amend it.

It's illegal for commissioners to work in the interest of any member state, including the state which nominated them, therefore no member state has a representative in the EU body that can initiate legislation.

There's an economic reason about fisheries, but I won't include it because I don't fully understand it. (And I haven't debated it.)
Original post by drogon
Generic comments that are often made by the leave campaign to convince stupid people to vote leave.

My IQ is 50 and I'm voting to remain.
Watching the drama unfold.
What makes you think that we should leave? The majority of people wanting to leave vote for UKIP, white and xenophobic
Reply 35
Original post by student.feed
What makes you think that we should leave? The majority of people wanting to leave vote for UKIP, white and xenophobic

I'm indeed white, but I'm a Lib Dem voter and certainly not xenophobic
Would you say the same about Jeremy Corbyn? John Cleese?

I could very easily argue that remain are far more xenophobic than Leave.
Original post by Sai4
Agreed. Brexit is likely the only hope we will ever have in our lifetimes to rid ourselves of the EU's dictatorship.

Dictatorship lmao.

It's really telling how the Leave campaign need to invent this narrative of a big scary EU that we need to battle. These people are living in a fantasy world where they're heroic freedom warriors. Pathetic.
And to leave a powerful economic union at a time when all other countries are trying to create their own is naive and short-sighted.
Original post by MedArsey
Typical British people too scared to stand up for themselves and let their voices be heard, its time to change, its time to leave.

Well, I'm making my voice heard by voting to Remain, as I want to stay in the EU. With your logic, surely I'm not weak as I'm standing up for myself?
Original post by XcitingStuart
Akin to suicide bombers.
You call Remain voters weak-minded and impressionable and then proceed to come out with nonsense like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending