The Student Room Group

ACT Test June 11 How did it go?

Hi everyone,

I know that the inviligators were on some spiel about how you can't disclose any information on the test after you have taken it (!) but how id you guys find it?

For me, English and Reading = :biggrin:
Science and Maths = :frown:
And Writing = :frown::frown::frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Why can't you talk about it, don't you sit the exam at the same time? Here in the UK if you don't sit the exam at the specified time you do a different exam paper.
Hi guys,

I will be hopefully be doing the ACT next year - how did you guys prepare/study for it? What resources are there?

What universities have you applied to?

Reply 3
Original post by 34908seikj
Why can't you talk about it, don't you sit the exam at the same time? Here in the UK if you don't sit the exam at the specified time you do a different exam paper.

i have no idea, but the invilgator stressed that basically you can't tlak about anything on the ACTs during or after. It's a lot more of a big deal than here in the UK :s-smilie:
Reply 4
Original post by computationchive
Hi guys,

I will be hopefully be doing the ACT next year - how did you guys prepare/study for it? What resources are there?

What universities have you applied to?

I haven't applied to any unis yet but im thinking UCB, Cornell, Dartmouth, Penn, Princeton and fewer less selective ones... I really really want to go to America.

Anyway, I only used the ACT Online Prep a few months before the text and I suggest you start revising in small increments now just so that you get accustomed to the rigidity and unusualness of the test. There are also online tutors but these are extortionately (sp) expensive and ACT organisation encourages not using them.

All in all, do lots of past papers and maybe if you don't like the Sciencey part of it, then do the SAT.

What universities are you looking at? You can never start too early, especially because the ACT is basically GSCE, AS level and you might have forgotten how to do some of the basics. :smile::smile:
Reply 5
Thanks for your response!

I am into science and maths (or 'math' should I say :biggrin:) - so maybe the ACT would be best for me. Is there any difference between ACT and SAT in the eyes of the university?

It is my ambition to study at UC Berkeley, however unsure whether my grades are strong enough :/

But i definitely want to study in the US so would apply to some less selective ones...

Are you doing any subject tests? - are they needed?

High five for UCB!!
As long as your an A/A* student with an all-rounded personality, you should be at least someone they would consider. I am doing subject tests because if I can do well in them, they add another layer to your capabilities in your subjects - I'm taking all my A-Level subject-specific SATs bar History. So I would say they are deffo needed

There is no difference between ACT and SAT according to universities I'm pretty sure, especially because they are so similar to each other, but try and do one of them early so if you realise you don't like it, you can decide to do the other. (That's what I'm contemplating at least)
Original post by unknowntsr
High five for UCB!!
As long as your an A/A* student with an all-rounded personality, you should be at least someone they would consider. I am doing subject tests because if I can do well in them, they add another layer to your capabilities in your subjects - I'm taking all my A-Level subject-specific SATs bar History. So I would say they are deffo needed

There is no difference between ACT and SAT according to universities I'm pretty sure, especially because they are so similar to each other, but try and do one of them early so if you realise you don't like it, you can decide to do the other. (That's what I'm contemplating at least)

Ah, thanks for clearing that one up!

I am hoping to major in computer science, how about yourself?

As computer science is technical, I am probably going to do a maths and a science subject test.

May I ask how your A-levels went?
Reply 7
Ah, thanks for clearing that one up!

I am hoping to major in computer science, how about yourself?

As computer science is technical, I am probably going to do a maths and a science subject test.

May I ask how your A-levels went?

I'm thinking English, but Maths also sounds quite interesting too. I'm doing SATs in English, Maths and Latin.

Im doing my A Levels next year, but hopefully will come out with 3 A*s, (1 A). I think A levels show your academic abilities more than SATs since we're more comfortable with them. But yh, that's about it! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending