The Student Room Group

So gay people are now being targeted by Islamic extremists in their own countries?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thutmose-III
Except we are winning this war. People like you claimed we would find it impossible to roll back ISIS, that we should just allow them to finish off the Yezidis and Kurds and sit back with our arms folded.

We were right and you were wrong. Of the 31,000 killed in Western airstrikes about 3% are civilians, far less civilians than would have been killed if those 30,000 terrorists had been allowed to live.

Frankly, the idea that we should have just allowed the Iraqi state to collapse in mid-2014 is the kind of childish nonsense you hear from the kind of person who has never had to make a hard decision in their life.

What are you babbling about? I support an Australian-style points system. You sound hysterical, calm down.

Yup, because ISIS never killed a gay person before August 2014. And of course what you are proposing is that we should leave all those gay people in ISIS controlled areas, all the Yezidis, all the Kurds and Christians, to be slaughtered. So your proclaimed concern for gay people's safety is dishonest at best

Smashed it out the park
Original post by QE2
I was dubious at first, but when you read the whole argument, it is not entirely unreasonable. It is certainly strong enough to be a starting point for rejecting persecution of homosexuals without having to reject any line of the Quran.

There are plenty of Muslims who have accepted modernist revisionism to avoid beeing seen to support slavery or wife beating, so why not the same with homosexuality?

Sometimes, it seems that some Muslims just really want to hate gays, and are not interested in a way to avoid it on doctrinal grounds, they way they are with slavery and domestic violence.

I wouldn't expect anything but ad-hominems from him. That's all he seems to have to offer, and he is too scared to even do it under his main account.
Reply 282
Original post by Fight Me
I am in no ways belittling the civilian deaths, but rather disgusted that people value western lives more than middle eastern lives. Its very ironic and not humane.
But this is not the case. People value things that they have some connection to than things with which thay have no connection. A New Yorker would mourn the death of a Syrian that they knew well, more than the deaths of strangers in the Orlando club. It is human nature and naive in the extreme to suggest otherwise.

Have you ever attended the funeral of a family member or friend?
If you have, but have not attended all the other funerals that it was possible for you to attend, especially those of strangers, they you are guilty of crass hypocrisy and double standards.

Physician heal thyself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Has he said that his attack was for Islam?, I read that his Dad said it wasn't.
Original post by ShaminiPamini
They said that the rights of an LGBT person are higher of the rights of a religious person... Plain and simple! Everyone has been affected by this, why is it that the gay community are taking this a sole attack on them? It is an attack on Western culture, a key feature of which is gay rights.

What do you mean by "everyone has been affected by this"?
no evidence as yet that the gunman was muslim
Original post by Listers
What do you mean by "everyone has been affected by this"?

People that have been killed by IS
People that have been killed by IS

But don't you understand that it is up to a muslim to respect and tolerate the rights and views of other people from different cultures even though it disagrees with yours?
Original post by JohnGreek
Yes, yes, once again, don't conflate what someone is legally entitled to say with what is correct (anthropologically, empirically, etc), and what they should believe in.

You are free to spout your nonsense about your Sky God raining hellfire on those who partake in sodomy, but that does not automatically make your views right, and there is no reason why I should not disagree with you. The wonderful thing with having what Mill called a "marketplace of ideas" is that everyone can develop their own thoughts, and every person can then challenge, condemn or agree with that person as they see fit. This is what we're doing right now.

Unless, of course, you are one of the people who'd rather censor criticism of religion in order to protect other peoples' "religious rights" or something...

No, why would I be on here if I thought that? But there is a line, if I was to 'spout' about gay people, not only would you and others be utterly appalled by such insulting behaviour but I could possibly be sued. So what allows you to disrespect my religion in the manner that you just did? Just because there isn't a law against that doesn't mean its okay.
Original post by S.olk
It's a bit rash to say the entire religion is to blame. People interpret things the way they want to, whatever religion it is. Christianity also shows that homosexuality is wrong and there are some dated views in the Bible aswell, but its a minority who choose to run with that and commit terrible acts eg. the KKK. Islam is a peaceful religion its just a shame that many of the leaders in Islamic communities have dated views and are very orthodox, however this does not represent the average, everyday Muslim.

If the leaders are not peaceful how can the religion be peaceful?
Original post by listers
but don't you understand that it is up to a muslim to respect and tolerate the rights and views of other people from different cultures even though it disagrees with yours?

of course
Reply 291
Original post by adesola15
Has he said that his attack was for Islam?, I read that his Dad said it wasn't.

He called 911 and pledged allegiance to ISIS just before.
Original post by inhuman
If the leaders are not peaceful how can the religion be peaceful?

Because the leaders could be secular
Original post by Listers
Because the leaders could be secular

Not country leaders but religious leaders.
Original post by fatima1998
Bang on find another muslim thread :woo:

Spoiler

lol So a thread about an extremist Islamist who shot up 50 gay people for being gay is a thread about Muslims? :wink:
Original post by The_Opinion
:s-smilie:

Your argument is ludicrous.

By your logic, you should care equally about the death of a random person the other side of the world than the death of a relative.

Moronic.

That's not the argument you were making, you were saying that you care more about the death of people in Western countries than those that live in 'stranger places'. By YOUR logic, the death of some random person in France and the death of some random person in Afghanistan are not of the same value.

MORONIC.
Would you force a Muslim to eat pork??? No! Then why do you force them to accept something that they believe is sinful?? I'm not saying that the attacks are justified but it is not only gay people being killed but EVERYONE!! There are targeting Western culture, every aspect of it...

I understand that everyone should be treated as a human being, as a Christian, I don't look down on gay people... I love them with the love of God and help them as anyone else, but if you were to ask me about my belief.. it's between me and God. You all want your rights and freedom of speech, well so do the people that don't agree with you.

Hi, but not all Muslims "force" their religious teachings onto others, this mass killing has lead to a huge number of casualties, but it was not all Muslims who did this, as by saying Muslims means you are implying the entire Muslim community- which is not true. Majority of the Muslims right now are at home fasting, lazing around at home, either watching the football match, practicing the religion e.g praying, reading the qur'an or some may be sleeping. So it is not all Muslims being radical and killing the western world, it is only a small minority as there are roughly 1.6 billion Muslims globally. So think before you rage your thoughts on the internet and calm down. I for one am a Muslim, i think it is horrible for what has happened and i give my condolences to them. I am not homophobic, in fact i have a classmate who is also my friend and she is lesbian/ bisexual ( she changes her mind but she is in between these two choices). I do not hate her or despise or "force" my religious teachings onto her.
Original post by inhuman
Not country leaders but religious leaders.

Oh
Original post by temp acc
Ofcourse not. Honestly bro, here's some advice - get off TSR and go learn your religion. If you're asking questions like this and think you know Islam to some extent, there's a serious problem.

Lol why are you on TSR then? I was asking a question in reference to his explanations, nothing to do with my own personal beliefs.
Original post by -Anonymous_Girl
That's not the argument you were making, you were saying that you care more about the death of people in Western countries than those that live in 'stranger places'. By YOUR logic, the death of some random person in France and the death of some random person in Afghanistan are not of the same value.

MORONIC.

Its the same system, people care more about their countrymen than people from other countries.

You seem triggered.

Quick Reply