The Student Room Group

Problem with my ex-girlfriend

I'm 23 years old and i had a relationship with a girl 22 years old.. It was my first relationship for me, and i didn't have any experience about girls and relationships.
So when i met her, and we decided to make a relationship, i had to go abroad for studies, so we spent 3 months that we had the distance between us.
When i was abroad, my ex gf made some behaviours really strange. For example he wanted to talk all the day, he was really jealous and when he got angry, he spoke to me offensive. I made patience and i was waiting to come home again, to meet with my gf again and see what will happen.
When i come home, after 3 months, the same problems begun again. He wanted to go out everyday and do everything together, he spoke to me offensive and insulted me several times, when something didn't like it, he was jealous and he tried to enter in my life(looking on my phone, controlling my life etc).
So i couldn't resist anymore and one day i broke up with her! But now i'm not feel good and i feel i big emptiness in my life, and i get bored for everything. I just sit in my house all day. But why? Ok it was my first girlfriend, and i have thoughts that maybe i took the decision very quickly and didn't make more patience.. What do you think? I took the right decision? How i can overcome this feeling?

Postscript: The relationship was only from 6 months(3 months from distance, and 3 months together)
Postscript 2: My ex gf had panic attacks,anxiety attacks,agoraphobia and depression when he was 18 years old and take antidepressants until now. Now he is better, and you can't understand that he has something, but still i don't know if the antidepressants had some influence on his behaviour.
Postscript 3: Neither me, neither her we felt in love. We made the relationship because we liked each others character.
Postscript 4: My ex gf didn't have lot of friends. Only 2-3. Also didn't have activities, only the Uni and as a result he was dependent from me..

Sorry for the big post, and for my English(i'm not a native speaker). I just want some comments about my decision(if was right) and about my feelings(why i feel so empty, and like my life no have sense etc).

Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by Shredded
I'm 23 years old and i had a relationship with a girl 22 years old.. It was my first relationship for me, and i didn't have any experience about girls and relationships.
So when i met her, and we decided to make a relationship, i had to go abroad for studies, so we spent 3 months that we had the distance between us.
When i was abroad, my ex gf made some behaviours really strange. For example he wanted to talk all the day, he was really jealous and when he got angry, he spoke to me offensive. I made patience and i was waiting to come home again, to meet with my gf again and see what will happen.
When i come home, after 3 months, the same problems begun again. He wanted to go out everyday and do everything together, he spoke to me offensive and insulted me several times, when something didn't like it, he was jealous and he tried to enter in my life(looking on my phone, controlling my life etc).
So i couldn't resist anymore and one day i broke up with her! But now i'm not feel good and i feel i big emptiness in my life, and i get bored for everything. I just sit in my house all day. But why? Ok it was my first girlfriend, and i have thoughts that maybe i took the decision very quickly and didn't make more patience.. What do you think? I took the right decision? How i can overcome this feeling?

Postscript: The relationship was only from 6 months(3 months from distance, and 3 months together)
Postscript 2: My ex gf had panic attacks,anxiety attacks,agoraphobia and depression when he was 18 years old and take antidepressants until now. Now he is better, and you can't understand that he has something, but still i don't know if the antidepressants had some influence on his behaviour.
Postscript 3: Neither me, neither her we felt in love. We made the relationship because we liked each others character.
Postscript 4: My ex gf didn't have lot of friends. Only 2-3. Also didn't have activities, only the Uni and as a result he was dependent from me..

Sorry for the big post, and for my English(i'm not a native speaker). I just want some comments about my decision(if was right) and about my feelings(why i feel so empty, and like my life no have sense etc).

Thank you very much :smile:

This exact situation happened to me and trust me you did the correct thing cause it was just gonna get worse and then eventually she would have started blaming you for her depression which would just make you depressed, I'd say leave it a year talk to other people enjoy your life then try talking to her to see if she's changed

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the interest of helping you with your English, where you have used the word "He" it should be "She" when talking about a girl. "He" is used for men. :smile:

You did the right thing. People who act this way usually have underlining issues that need to be addressed before they pursue a relationship with anyone, though sadly many choose not to do this. Go find someone who you can have a healthy, meaningful relationship with. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Supermanxxxxxx
This exact situation happened to me and trust me you did the correct thing cause it was just gonna get worse and then eventually she would have started blaming you for her depression which would just make you depressed, I'd say leave it a year talk to other people enjoy your life then try talking to her to see if she's changed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply mate! The truth is that shes depression doesn't create all the problems.. Because she had the same behaviour also in shes first relationship when she was 18 years old, and then she didn't have depression. So it's matter of shes character. I think that it's harder to change your character, especially when you are already 22 years old.
Furthermore she didn't talk much about the depression, because she feel nice with me, and depression didn't create problems..
After the separation i made 2 tries to meet with her, we made a meeting and the result was the same... She told me that she can't change the character and she will remain the same person.. So i went back... I can't try again with this girl, if she don't want to change some parts of shes character..

Thank you for your reply again :smile:
Thank you for your reply mate! The truth is that shes depression doesn't create all the problems.. Because she had the same behaviour also in shes first relationship when she was 18 years old, and then she didn't have depression. So it's matter of shes character. I think that it's harder to change your character, especially when you are already 22 years old.
Furthermore she didn't talk much about the depression, because she feel nice with me, and depression didn't create problems..
After the separation i made 2 tries to meet with her, we made a meeting and the result was the same... She told me that she can't change the character and she will remain the same person.. So i went back... I can't try again with this girl, if she don't want to change some parts of shes character..

Thank you for your reply again :smile:

Exactly you just need to let her go and let her solve her problems as she only gets mad and jealous of you cause without you she feels depressed
So really she needs to get over that and the only way is to end it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you for your reply.. Yeah i know.. Haha.. I use to make errors with ''he'' and ''she''.
My ex tries to solve the problems, she went to the doctor, but she can't understand that make some behaviours that i can't accept. As i write above, i tried to talk with her, but no response. He told me that she can't change.! So no hope i think :/
Reply 6
Exactly you just need to let her go and let her solve her problems as she only gets mad and jealous of you cause without you she feels depressed
So really she needs to get over that and the only way is to end it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly.. So she had a big dependence from me. She felt nice only with me.. But why she treat me so bad? I can't understand that.. Cause i tried and i was all the day with her, and i don't think that she should have complaints from me..
Now the problem is to overcome my emptiness that i feel without her...
Exactly.. So she had a big dependence from me. She felt nice only with me.. But why she treat me so bad? I can't understand that.. Cause i tried and i was all the day with her, and i don't think that she should have complaints from me..
Now the problem is to overcome my emptiness that i feel without her...

Cause for someone with depression even if you can't talk to them for a tiny bit cause your busy they'll think he's not talking to me which is making me sad so it must be his fault, however fail to realise the problem is much deeper and vent out the anger on you
And it's hard trust me it took me 6 months and I'm just about there you just have to realise that you don't want something like that were someone is constantly having a go at you and mankind you feel like ****
Imagine having a girl who's happy and just enjoy your life you can do whatever you want

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Cause for someone with depression even if you can't talk to them for a tiny bit cause your busy they'll think he's not talking to me which is making me sad so it must be his fault, however fail to realise the problem is much deeper and vent out the anger on you
And it's hard trust me it took me 6 months and I'm just about there you just have to realise that you don't want something like that were someone is constantly having a go at you and mankind you feel like ****
Imagine having a girl who's happy and just enjoy your life you can do whatever you want

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly.. She wanted to be with her all the time.. She didn't accept not to be together for even 1 day. She wanted everyday, and although i was with her everyday, he made to me complaints.
Anyway it's a matter of character. Because she had exactly the same behaviours before suffered from depression, and panic/anxiety attacks..
After 3 months of my separation i think that my ex made a relationship-dependence with me. She had few friends, and she felt lonely.. So she saw me like a life jacket and she wanted me close all the time and she didn't respect my desires. Really bad situation..
And you my friend Supermanxxxxxx you had exactly the same situation? You had a relationship with the girl? How you ended?

Quick Reply

Latest