The Student Room Group

‼️‼️aqa greek tragedy‼️‼️

‼️‼️PLEASE READ‼️‼️

Hi everyone,

I am in desperate need of help for my Greek tragedy A2 exam on the 17th of June.
I have an utterly useless teacher who has taught us slivers of the syllabus but only teaches us what she wants, meaning I have very limited knowledge. I have looked at mark schemes for every exam and realise I stand very little chance of getting my desired grade. I absolutely love classics and have applied to study it at university next year, meaning it is CRUCIAL for me to not only pass, but do well in this exam.

Please, I am begging anyone, to send notes, tips, guides, essays, absolutely anything to help me as I feel so hopeless at the moment.

Thank you!
i've been revising it for a while and already realize how difficult its going to be, its the hardest component of the whole a level and the one most people do worst in but if anyone has any tips i wouldnt mind hearing them either :K:
Reply 2
I'm aiming for an A on this exam, and at the moment I'm on target for it, so when I get back to my computer I can send you some of my essays to look at -it is only 40 markers though as I hand write the 20s and 10s. Other than that, re read all the plays -I'm on Medea at the moment, until you know it back to front. Another good thing I've found is learning context, it's not as important but it does show the examiner you know exactly what you're on about.

Example for Antigone: Creon's decree boarders on tyranny, which was a significant issue for Sophoclese's audience as they had the tyrant Hipparchus in 528BC -defeated by the Tyranacides if you did sculpture at AS! So the Athenians created a democratic system to ensure that no power was placed solely in one mans hands. That said, there was an incident at the time of writing Antigone with a guy called Themistocles, who had been chased out of Athens and accused of conspiring with the Persians in the Peoponesian war -inspiration for the Eotocles and Polynicies story. Themistocles was later refused burial on Athenian soil for his treachery. The audience understood this and therefore sympathise with Creon.

Oedipus: the plague at the beginning of the play is caused by a Miamsa -pollution. At the time of writing Oedipus Athens was actually suffering from a real plague so it was all the more real. Oedipus is potentially a metaphor for the "King" Pericles, who brought everyone inside Athens to protect them from Spartan invasion but also accidently caused the plague. This is supported by some of Oedipus' main speeches which are taken directly from the funeral oration of Pericles.

Hope that helps! All that is taken from the introductions of the plays in the Robert Fagles translation.
Reply 3
Original post by Azael274
I'm aiming for an A on this exam, and at the moment I'm on target for it, so when I get back to my computer I can send you some of my essays to look at -it is only 40 markers though as I hand write the 20s and 10s. Other than that, re read all the plays -I'm on Medea at the moment, until you know it back to front. Another good thing I've found is learning context, it's not as important but it does show the examiner you know exactly what you're on about.

Example for Antigone: Creon's decree boarders on tyranny, which was a significant issue for Sophoclese's audience as they had the tyrant Hipparchus in 528BC -defeated by the Tyranacides if you did sculpture at AS! So the Athenians created a democratic system to ensure that no power was placed solely in one mans hands. That said, there was an incident at the time of writing Antigone with a guy called Themistocles, who had been chased out of Athens and accused of conspiring with the Persians in the Peoponesian war -inspiration for the Eotocles and Polynicies story. Themistocles was later refused burial on Athenian soil for his treachery. The audience understood this and therefore sympathise with Creon.

Oedipus: the plague at the beginning of the play is caused by a Miamsa -pollution. At the time of writing Oedipus Athens was actually suffering from a real plague so it was all the more real. Oedipus is potentially a metaphor for the "King" Pericles, who brought everyone inside Athens to protect them from Spartan invasion but also accidently caused the plague. This is supported by some of Oedipus' main speeches which are taken directly from the funeral oration of Pericles.

Hope that helps! All that is taken from the introductions of the plays in the Robert Fagles translation.

Thank you so much, this is so helpful! Honestly you're a life saver, those essays would also be hugely appreciated! 💛💛💛
if you would be able to send me them as well i would really appreciate it :smile:
i would love an A on this exam but am so nervous, timing is a real issue for me, i never seem to get it finished in time, the boundaries for last year are a*-61 a-55 b-49 c-43 , i guess they aren't too bad, do either of you have any other exams before this or will you just be able to revise flat out for it? I have psychology on tuesday :frown:
Reply 5
I have English literature on the same day so I feel your pain :'( I'm prioritising this exam though so I feel like I'm neglecting english!!
Reply 6
OK SO -finally back at my laptop...so here are a few of the essays I have on this computer, I have more on my other laptop but thats getting repaired atm so I'll have to upload the other ones later when its fixed. The two 20 markers are on Hippolytus and the "Classics exam paper 2015" is a paper I did yesterday under timed conditions, but I havent had it marked yet. Both 20 markers got 15 out of 20, so ya, hope they help you get an idea of structure.

I also have English literature on Friday as well -so were in the same boat...im stressing for that more than this tbh.
Reply 7
These are amazing! I can see why you're on track for an A, you definitely deserve it! Thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by Oochiecoo
These are amazing! I can see why you're on track for an A, you definitely deserve it! Thank you!

Thanks! I'm going into overdrive mode for this last week so im burned out, but itll all be over by next Friday..lol. If you're struggling with structure I'd be happy to look over some of your essays and give you pointers? I'm kinda burned out from looking at all my notes anyway, it might help us both study wise?
these notes are fantastic!! thank you so much, you should definitely get an A*
How did everyone find the exam today?
hi mate what did u end up getting in that 40 marker? i had this question for my exam today and wrote it very similair to you! thanks for ur help
hi mate what did u end up getting in that 40 marker? i had that question in my exam today and i answered just like you thanks for ur help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending