The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rileystringer1
It's good to compare therapies and treatments on description and evaluation to be sure you've got enough, but I always find it easier to use evaluation, because for example if you're comparing drugs treatment and assertive community therapy you can think to yourself "what's good about drugs? they're cheap. is ACT? no. there's one comparison". Idk just makes sense to me!

You won't get asked to compare contributions, you can be asked to compare the usefulness of different approaches/applications/contributions, so you could just think "why is understanding autism useful? can help children in school. why is a biological explanation for schizophrenia useful? can reduce symptoms with drugs. which is more useful? bio because it suggests a treatment whereas with understanding autism there's no suggested treatment, just intervention"

hope that helps!

Ohh, thank you!! That's really helpful :smile:
Original post by JessRose2
Ohh, thank you!! That's really helpful :smile:

Fine :h:

It's so much more simple when you take time to think about it, the only thing is you don't get enough time to think :lol:
How do you evaluate ethnocentrism?
Original post by Rsprcy
Have you checked http://lca-a2psychology.weebly.com/debates.html ?
It's quite brief but gives all the the key terms you need!!!

Thank you that looks good I'll give it a go, any predictions what will come up? I hope we get an 18mark in contributions and hopefully the clinical practical will come up👍🏻
Original post by 12345hhjjkkll

Isn't it looking at cross cultural research and you evaluate that?

Original post by Oliviaa1
Isn't it looking at cross cultural research and you evaluate that?

Yep. There has never been one before on ethnocentrism so I can't give you an example, but I asked my teacher this and she said if it were to come up then it would be "describe ethnocentric bias in psychological research and evaluate the use of cross-cultural research"

Original post by Oliviaa1
Thank you that looks good I'll give it a go, any predictions what will come up? I hope we get an 18mark in contributions and hopefully the clinical practical will come up👍🏻

Nahhh I'd hate for the 18 marker to be on contributions they're soo dry, I'd prefer contributions as a smaller question then something more interesting as an 18 marker that you can actually go into. I find that people like contributions because they seem really simple, but when you get in the exam you'll panic, write loads of nonsense, not develop or link and get average marks for it

I'd really like an 18 marker on ethnocentrism and cross-cultural research, or a question like the 2012 18 marker: Describe Psychodynamic explanations of human behaviour and evaluate these explanations using at least two other approaches. (18)

There's so much you could say!! Gender (compare with learning and bio), criminality (compare with social x2 and bio), phobias (compare with learning). 2 marks per topic and 1 mark per comparison/evaluation point.. sweet
Yep. There has never been one before on ethnocentrism so I can't give you an example, but I asked my teacher this and she said if it were to come up then it would be "describe ethnocentric bias in psychological research and evaluate the use of cross-cultural research"

Nahhh I'd hate for the 18 marker to be on contributions they're soo dry, I'd prefer contributions as a smaller question then something more interesting as an 18 marker that you can actually go into. I find that people like contributions because they seem really simple, but when you get in the exam you'll panic, write loads of nonsense, not develop or link and get average marks for it

I'd really like an 18 marker on ethnocentrism and cross-cultural research, or a question like the 2012 18 marker: Describe Psychodynamic explanations of human behaviour and evaluate these explanations using at least two other approaches. (18)

There's so much you could say!! Gender (compare with learning and bio), criminality (compare with social x2 and bio), phobias (compare with learning). 2 marks per topic and 1 mark per comparison/evaluation point.. sweet

What would you say for evaluating cross-cultural research? the textbook doesn't have much in it!
Original post by Rsprcy

I think when they say generic they mean stuff like "The study had high ecological validity because it was a field experiment"- to make it into a more specific point you need to make it more explicitly about the study

Damn why would anyone write that and think they'd get a mark for it haha

um what are psychodynamic explanations of human behaviour? i would be like wtf in an exam
What would you say for evaluating cross-cultural research? the textbook doesn't have much in it!

Causes issues of ethnocentrism which can cause conflict, expensive and takes time. +: needed to test theories

Original post by chickenfoot
um what are psychodynamic explanations of human behaviour? i would be like wtf in an exam

Theres a few.. gender and criminality are obvious ones. It wouldn't be psycho again tho, maybe bio: gender, criminality, schizophrenia. Or learning: gender, criminality, phobias

If it came up it would be either bio or learning cos of gender, then you'd have to find another example, could use criminality as most ppl do crim & a disorder if applicable
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone have any evaluation points for TEP in terms of treating anorexia...? I dont seem to be able to find any notes on that:frown: would be nice if anyone could help :smile:!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blinkofaneyee
Does anyone have any evaluation points for TEP in terms of treating anorexia...? I dont seem to be able to find any notes on that:frown: would be nice if anyone could help :smile:!

Posted from TSR Mobile

They actually teach TEPs to be a treatment for anorexia? That is ridiculous :lol:*

But just re-use the same points from criminal (if you did it): behaviour learnt not generalisable to 'outside world' when TEP has finished as the tokens are no longer given, practical as it easy to set up and is cheap, can be seen as unethical if too demanding i.e. if you get a really severe punishment for purging bcos you can't help it, use a study that shows TEPs to be effective (use one specific to anorexia if you have one, if not use one from criminal and relate it to anorexia i.e. "this shows operant conditioning principles are effective in reducing undesirable behaviour and increasing desirable behaviour, so it would be effective with anorexics"

*The reason I say this is because I find it infantalising which is also an evaluation point.. also you can't make people 'work' for basic rights i.e. it may be unethical to say if you do what I want you to do I'll give you food
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone have reasonably detailed notes for all the research methods? (description & eval)
In clinical, did anyone do Dream Analysis for the treatment from the psychodynamic approach, and if so, how much detail is needed?
Is the overview of dream analysis: dreams used to uncover unconscious thoughts, manifest/latent content, interpretation in symbolic form, unconscious thoughts identified, then thoughts lose power, enough?
The textbook waffles about condensation, displacement... Freud's ideas (Conflict theory..), is that necessary?

Thanks!
Original post by lillyjox
In clinical, did anyone do Dream Analysis for the treatment from the psychodynamic approach, and if so, how much detail is needed?
Is the overview of dream analysis: dreams used to uncover unconscious thoughts, manifest/latent content, interpretation in symbolic form, unconscious thoughts identified, then thoughts lose power, enough?
The textbook waffles about condensation, displacement... Freud's ideas (Conflict theory..), is that necessary?

Thanks!

Yeah that should be enough, you only need around 5 marks worth.
They actually teach TEPs to be a treatment for anorexia? That is ridiculous :lol:*

But just re-use the same points from criminal (if you did it): behaviour learnt not generalisable to 'outside world' when TEP has finished as the tokens are no longer given, practical as it easy to set up and is cheap, can be seen as unethical if too demanding i.e. if you get a really severe punishment for purging bcos you can't help it, use a study that shows TEPs to be effective (use one specific to anorexia if you have one, if not use one from criminal and relate it to anorexia i.e. "this shows operant conditioning principles are effective in reducing undesirable behaviour and increasing desirable behaviour, so it would be effective with anorexics"

*The reason I say this is because I find it infantalising which is also an evaluation point.. also you can't make people 'work' for basic rights i.e. it may be unethical to say if you do what I want you to do I'll give you food

Haha I get you, but it's more like they have to stay in a hospital and eg target weights and food goals are set for them to meet. Rewards are normally like family visits and phone calls..so in this way it seems a little bit more "ethical" lol but yeah it is a bit odd still..anyway thanks for your help!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blinkofaneyee
Haha I get you, but it's more like they have to stay in a hospital and eg target weights and food goals are set for them to meet. Rewards are normally like family visits and phone calls..so in this way it seems a little bit more "ethical" lol but yeah it is a bit odd still..anyway thanks for your help!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But still.. "eat this pie and I'll let you see your family", so deterministic

Haha no problem
Here's my "is psychology a science" essay for you guys to look over and hopefully benefit from. Praying it comes up as our 18 marker! (Y)
What is the health contribution to society? The one im using is understanding drug misuse.

What would the strengths and weaknesses of this be?
How do u evaluate adoption studies for nature/nurture debate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending