The Student Room Group

Further Maths AQA GCSE exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Redcoats

Solve the simultaneous equations
y=2x+1 y=2x+1
y=x3+3x2+5x+2 y=x^3 +3x^2+5x+2 .
Hence find the geometric relationship between the line L L with equation y=2x+1 y=2x+1 and the curve C C with equation y=x3+3x2+5x+2 y=x^3+3x^2+5x+2 .
Original post by Ano123
Solve the simultaneous equations
y=2x+1 y=2x+1
y=x3+3x2+5x+2 y=x^3 +3x^2+5x+2 .
Hence find the geometric relationship between the line L L with equation y=2x+1 y=2x+1 and the curve C C with equation y=x3+3x2+5x+2 y=x^3+3x^2+5x+2 .

2x+1 = x3 + 3x2 + 5x + 2

Therefore x3 + 3x2 + 3x + 1 = 0

Therefore (x+1)(x+1)(x+1) = 0

Therefore x = -1 and y= -1

Geometric relationship:

f '(x) = 3x2 + 6x + 5

Gradient at the point x = -1 is 2

The tangent is: y - (-1) = 2 (x - (-1))

Which gives y = 2x+1 = Line L

Thus the geometric relationship is that the line L is a tangent to the curve C at the point (-1,-1)
(edited 7 years ago)
May seem like a stupid question but is cos^2 theta/cos^2 theta just one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Original post by BobbiBlue
May seem like a stupid question but is cos^2 theta/cos^2 theta just one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Hello everyone. I want to ask for those who are achieving grade A or above in further maths, would two days of constant work be effective in moving my grade up from C/B to A?
Original post by icy_typhoon
hi! I'm doing further maths but I lowkey wish I wasn't rn because both of my exams clash with ocr science ones (further bio and further physics)
I'm good at maths and I'm taking it for A level but I do find some stuff in further quite difficult...I struggle to apply things to questions.
Good thing you can get an A with like 50% :biggrin:

Same here with the OCR clashes, although I'm glad we do FM as I've really enjoyed the content and feel like it's left me pretty prepared for A Level (well the first term at least lmao)
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Hello everyone. I want to ask for those who are achieving grade A or above in further maths, would two days of constant work be effective in moving my grade up from C/B to A?

Probably, grade boundaries are rock bottom so you'd just need to learn a few topics you didn't understand before and you'll be good to go :smile:
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are, specifically for an A and A* on paper 1 and overall because on the AQA grade boundaries for the previous years it doesn't have the grade boundaries for the A* distinction, so I'm wondering if the A* coordinates with an A* distinction and an A coordinates with an A* etc? Hopefully this makes sense!
Reply 88
Does anyone have any predicted topics for the exam?
Original post by siobhanx13
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are, specifically for an A and A* on paper 1 and overall because on the AQA grade boundaries for the previous years it doesn't have the grade boundaries for the A* distinction, so I'm wondering if the A* coordinates with an A* distinction and an A coordinates with an A* etc? Hopefully this makes sense!

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-IGCSE-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF

If you use 111/175 as the A* and just calculate what you'd need on each paper, so it would work out to 44.4/70 on Paper 1, and 66.6/105 on paper 2.
Original post by Ishan_2000
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-IGCSE-GDE-BDY-JUNE-2015.PDF

If you use 111/175 as the A* and just calculate what you'd need on each paper, so it would work out to 44.4/70 on Paper 1, and 66.6/105 on paper 2.

That was for a paper deemed very hard by those who sat it.
Take an average from last year's and 2014's (an easy paper), to find a good guess for grade boundaries for an average-difficulty paper :smile:
Both http://www.drfrostmaths.com/resources/sow.php?year=IGCSEFM&term=All and http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsefm.htm are useful fm websites. Good luck everybody for tomorrow. Hoping to get an A, but very nervous.
Original post by NiamhM1801
Take an average from last year's and 2014's (an easy paper), to find a good guess for grade boundaries for an average-difficulty paper :smile:

Yes, it was harder than average, as we took that for our maths mock in December! Thanks though, now I know that the grade boundaries will be kind. :smile:
If anyone is struggling revising AQA Further Maths GCSE, go on YouTube, and watch RawMaths' videos on the course - they are very helpful :smile:
Is everyone ready for tomorrow? I'm kinda excited not gonna lie...
Anyone else going for that A^? :tongue:
Reply 95
I don't understand increasing and decreasing functions... what is it?
Original post by Ishan_2000
Yes, it was harder than average, as we took that for our maths mock in December! Thanks though, now I know that the grade boundaries will be kind. :smile:

Ah we did it as Easter holiday homework - I didn't like paper 1 that much (62/70) but paper 2 was honestly the best one I've ever sat!! (102/105!!)
It was hard but an amazing challenge, I adapted to it better than any other paper.
Good luck for tomorrow - hope you smash it :smile:
Original post by Jakir
I don't understand increasing and decreasing functions... what is it?

Increasing function = when the gradient of the graph is positive (ie going up)
Decreasing function = when the gradient of the graph is negative (ie going down)
Reply 98
But in the revision guide there is something about f(a) > f(b) - what does this mean
Original post by NiamhM1801

Thank you so much, I was looking on the normal GCSE boundaries, not the IGCSE ones! Good luck for tomorrow and anymore exams you have!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending