The Student Room Group

personal statement

should or can i write something like this :
As a young child, i was exposed to 'hospitals' the many doctors that I met inspired me through their quick correct diagnostic skills and amazing personalities etc
Original post by lovegossip
As a young child, i was exposed to 'hospitals' the many doctors that I met inspired me through their quick correct diagnostic skills and amazing personalities etc

I'm going to move this to the medicine forum so you can get advice on personal statements.

You might also find this helpful: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15895-medicine-personal-statements
Reply 2
I wouldnt recommend saying that as a child you recognised amazing diagnostic skills, or even 'quick and correct'....noone recognises this as a child! Be more honest. Exaggerate, as all of us did, but be more realistic in your exaggeration!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Why is hospitals in quotation marks?
I think Jimmy Savile was also exposed to many children in hospitals lol
Reply 5

I would remove the quotation marks. When it comes to personal statements it's hard to tell what is good or not. This sounds slightly cheesy. Are you saying that you understood their diagnostic skills at a young age? I think you need to word it differently. If it stems from a personal experience then mention that instead.

Firstly, if you do come up with anything you really really want in your personal statement don't post it up on TSR because of potential plagiarism difficulities.

Aside from that:

1. Why is hospitals inverted?

2. Being exposed to medicine as a child is not advantageous so its not essential to put it in unless you can describe its relevance.

3. Also, perhaps link why a quick and correct diagnosis is relieving/ relevant for the patient.

4. Amazing is a bit of a subjective term and the admissions officer may not be sure why you've used that description. Doctors have many different types of characteristics so be more explicit about which ones have inspired you e.g. reassuring to their patients, organised, patient etc

PS:
If you would like a medical student as an e mentor (for free!) who would be able to give you feedback on your personal statement and help you with your application, you may be eligible for a WAMSoc Mentor. Check out my profile for more information.

Kind Regards,

Mel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending