The Student Room Group

Open Yale Courses

I was just wondering how useful doing one of the Open Yale Courses would be in terms of contributing to a University application, and if anyone around here has done one and can guide me with regards to how I would go about doing it (as I don't really get it haha)...
Bump
Reply 2
Original post by aa_batteries
Bump

It's not going to make up for poor grades. But if you already meet the requirements it will make you look more interested in the subject. It is something to do as an extra curricular activity.
I was just wondering how useful doing one of the Open Yale Courses would be in terms of contributing to a University application, and if anyone around here has done one and can guide me with regards to how I would go about doing it (as I don't really get it haha)...

It's quite useful as an addition, but as has been said above, doesn't contribute grades-wise and you shouldn't take on so much that your grades suffer. Your actual A Levels are much more important in actually getting you into university, but assuming you meet the requirements, this sort of thing can help you to stand out in your personal statement. You can talk about it in your PS as giving you experience of university level study, and developing your independent learning skills.

You'll get access to online lectures and will need to supplement this with suggested reading which is a great experience to prepare you for university. Some providers also offer message boards and chat rooms so you can discuss with other students. Feel free to look beyond Yale, as there are many top universities from around the world offering these types of courses. Coursera (more US universities) and FutureLearn (more UK universities) are two I'd highly recommend looking into, and they offer a much greater breadth of courses than Yale so you can find something related to the university course you're interested in.
I've just finished my exams so the course was definitely something I was looking into for the Summer holiday, although I don't completely understand it. Is it just simply a matter of watching the lectures?
I've just finished my exams so the course was definitely something I was looking into for the Summer holiday, although I don't completely understand it. Is it just simply a matter of watching the lectures?

Sorry, didn't see your message (better to quote if you want a reply!).

There are lectures to watch, materials to read and usually there is a short exam or a small piece of writing but this varies by course and provider. Longer courses might have a few small exams. The best way to find out is to look on the sites and read the course descriptions for the specific subjects you're interested in.
Original post by Charlotte49
Sorry, didn't see your message (better to quote if you want a reply!).

There are lectures to watch, materials to read and usually there is a short exam or a small piece of writing but this varies by course and provider. Longer courses might have a few small exams. The best way to find out is to look on the sites and read the course descriptions for the specific subjects you're interested in.

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending