The Student Room Group

Work Experience

I'm hoping to apply to medicine but have absolutely ZERO work experience. What's the best and quickest way to get relevant work experience?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
Original post by zoeducational
I'm hoping to apply to medicine but have absolutely ZERO work experience. What's the best and quickest way to get relevant work experience?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Go on hospital websites - many will have a dedicated work experience co-ordinator (or similar), or you can try going through volunteering services or HR.

It's also worth emailing consultants' secretaries.

You'll have to be pretty persistent, hospitals are busy places so you'll need to keep chasing people up otherwise your request will be forgotten. Also apply far and wide, not just to your local hospital.

Formal work experience at a hospital usually takes weeks to months to sort out as they will need to arrange it for you, do DBS checks, ask for references etc.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15999-medicine-work-experience
Reply 2
Hospital websites. Phone some hospitals. Try volunteering at old people's homes as well. Anything to demonstrate a caring nature. GPs are also good, as long as it's not your own.
Lmao you think there's a quick way to get work experience?

It takes MONTHS, almost a full year to get work experience in a hospital because there's a waiting list of people that want to do it and have been waiting to do it since September.

The only thing you can do is see if you've got any contacts - otherwise, you're screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

I applied online and got a place after about 5 months. This year I've got a family friend to get a placement for me which is so much quicker & easier! Try to find a contact you may have with someone in any medical field.. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Try contacts in your school. Also ask your local GP if you could even spend a day in their surgery, or half a day. Apply to local NHS trusts but it is getting late so try to phone them up and they usually have spaces. If you have any family or contacts in emdicine, that would probably help.

Also relevent doesn't mean it has to be hospital, working in a care home is good as well.
To put in perspective, I did:
2 week hospital, 1 day GP, 1 week full time care home. Also its not about quantity of work experiance, its about emphasising what you learnt (when you go to interview). Also when you say that I was able to get one day at GP, they see how determined you are as you are going for as much as you can
Reply 6
Original post by snmk007
Try contacts in your school. Also ask your local GP if you could even spend a day in their surgery, or half a day. Apply to local NHS trusts but it is getting late so try to phone them up and they usually have spaces. If you have any family or contacts in emdicine, that would probably help.

Also relevent doesn't mean it has to be hospital, working in a care home is good as well.
To put in perspective, I did:
2 week hospital, 1 day GP, 1 week full time care home. Also its not about quantity of work experiance, its about emphasising what you learnt (when you go to interview). Also when you say that I was able to get one day at GP, they see how determined you are as you are going for as much as you can

Quick point. A lot of the time your own gp might not let you for 'confidentiality'
Original post by mliela
Quick point. A lot of the time your own gp might not let you for 'confidentiality'

yh true, I did it with the other doctor in the same surgery, but if there are usually a few other GPs around your are, there is no harm in phoning them up and asking politely as that can work usually, even if they dont have a formal application process
Reply 8
Original post by snmk007
yh true, I did it with the other doctor in the same surgery, but if there are usually a few other GPs around your are, there is no harm in phoning them up and asking politely as that can work usually, even if they dont have a formal application process

Yeah of course. Luckily there are plenty everywhere. If worse comes to worse OP could try pharmacys or charity shops.
Original post by nomophobia
Lmao you think there's a quick way to get work experience?

It takes MONTHS, almost a full year to get work experience in a hospital because there's a waiting list of people that want to do it and have been waiting to do it since September.

The only thing you can do is see if you've got any contacts - otherwise, you're screwed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ik lmao I started applying in October and places were already saying they were full. Having no contacts doesn't help :redface:

Spoiler

Original post by surina16
Ik lmao I started applying in October and places were already saying they were full. Having no contacts doesn't help :redface:

Spoiler

I applied in september and got a response in April. And the hospital i'm doing it in only took 5 of us despite so many wanting to do it

OP if you do want it in a hospital, apply early in the school year and you may get a response.
Is there any work I can find which could strengthen my Medicine application and earn me money at the same time.
Original post by surina16

Spoiler

Woah, that's harsh, 100s of emails? That must've taken days.

Spoiler

Reply 13
Is there any work I can find which could strengthen my Medicine application and earn me money at the same time.

You won't be eligible for many. Due to age restrictions and experience. Your best bet is volunteering.

Quick Reply

Latest