The Student Room Group

Are people being too negative or is it me that's over sensitive?

I go running at the track, been going for years. I used to train with my boyfriend but he coaches high jump on the days that I run. I do a track session with a group on Wednesdays it's hard work but I need it to improve. The things is I don't like how lots of people (ie people's parents) are always watching. My boyfriend and others make comments and it just annoys me in a way. For example with a lad who he coaches his mum comes watching him and she made a comment to my boyfriend (who is coaching her son) that I'm flat footed and don't have good style. She also apparently said during a conversation with my bf that I probably lacked worldly experience because I still lived with my parents :/ After one session my bf and the lad (the woman's son) were walking past and my bf said to the lad 'tell her what you told me' he said 'no', I said 'what is it' then they both went quiet. My be later told me that he said that I looked like I'd put on weight. My be is always saying I need to lose it which is fine but I guess I don't like people judging. At the end of the day I'm running to lose weight/get fitter but it also puts me on display for people commenting. Should I just carry on and try not to care what people say, is it me being soft?
Why do you care what random people think about you?
"I go running at the track"

*Leaves thread automatically* :getmecoat:
Reply 3
Original post by BristolFresher15
Why do you care what random people think about you?

I guess I take people's opinions on board plus I never hear anything good about myself always negative so I suppose it reminds me of my inadequacies ha.
Original post by Anonymous
I go running at the track, been going for years. I used to train with my boyfriend but he coaches high jump on the days that I run. I do a track session with a group on Wednesdays it's hard work but I need it to improve. The things is I don't like how lots of people (ie people's parents) are always watching. My boyfriend and others make comments and it just annoys me in a way. For example with a lad who he coaches his mum comes watching him and she made a comment to my boyfriend (who is coaching her son) that I'm flat footed and don't have good style. She also apparently said during a conversation with my bf that I probably lacked worldly experience because I still lived with my parents :/ After one session my bf and the lad (the woman's son) were walking past and my bf said to the lad 'tell her what you told me' he said 'no', I said 'what is it' then they both went quiet. My be later told me that he said that I looked like I'd put on weight. My be is always saying I need to lose it which is fine but I guess I don't like people judging. At the end of the day I'm running to lose weight/get fitter but it also puts me on display for people commenting. Should I just carry on and try not to care what people say, is it me being soft?

I would tell her that you know what she has been saying and you think its rude.

If you are that bothered dont run at the track.

You cna also relay comments of your own through your bf. Why isnt your bf challenging her?
I guess I take people's opinions on board plus I never hear anything good about myself always negative so I suppose it reminds me of my inadequacies ha.

That's impossible. You clearly filter through to find and obsess over the negative stuff. I'd say your problem is more with your own perception of yourself rather than the one others have of you.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
I would tell her that you know what she has been saying and you think its rude.

If you are that bothered dont run at the track.

You cna also relay comments of your own through your bf. Why isnt your bf challenging her?

I don't have any comments to relay though, she's just a parent who watches she doesn't look like she's ever ran herself but who knows :tongue:. My bf either agrees or mustn't really see the comments as bad. He can be critical himself he doesn't sugar coat things like a lot of people but with sports he does say things with the intention of helping.
I don't have any comments to relay though, she's just a parent who watches she doesn't look like she's ever ran herself but who knows :tongue:. My bf either agrees or mustn't really see the comments as bad. He can be critical himself he doesn't sugar coat things like a lot of people but with sports he does say things with the intention of helping.

Does it annoy you ro doesn't it? If you wnat it to stop then ask her or make her aware you think she is out of order.. If you are fine with it then whats the point of the thread?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
Does it annoy you ro doesn't it? If you wnat it to stop then ask her or make her aware you think she is out of order.. If you are fine with it then whats the point of the thread?

It annoys me but I don't usually confront people about these sorts of things I just kind of feel angry but keep it to myself. I could confront but the point of the thread is really me wondering if I'm being oversensitive or if it would annoy most people, This way I can get more of an idea if people are being out of order or not and so try to change my perception.
It annoys me but I don't usually confront people about these sorts of things I just kind of feel angry but keep it to myself. I could confront but the point of the thread is really me wondering if I'm being oversensitive or if it would annoy most people, This way I can get more of an idea if people are being out of order or not and so try to change my perception.

You always have the choice between growing a thicker skin or doing something about it. If you are shy or lack confidence, then its an opportunity to grow.
Just ask her not to do it if it makes you angry. Would she like you making comments about her or you could start making comments about her son? Bet she wouldnt like that.

So the point is why should she be allowed to make them about you?

Confrontation can come in many forms. You can simply make it known to her you dont appreciate it or say you appreciate her concern but would prefer she didnt in future. It doesnt have to be full on. If you cnat do that then join a gum or run elsewhere.

Carry on and don't care, frankly we all get crap from others who all seem to be experts in all matters. Fact is, they're not you so don't let them govern how to live your life. If you think something of it then deal with it otherwise keep going on the way you are if you're happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending