The Student Room Group

Should the 'Foundation' option in GCSEs be withdrawn, particularly for core subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Yes. Of course the questions are much easier, but when you consider the number of marks required for each grade, the marks/percentage needed for a C could be equivalent to that of an A/B on a higher paper - looking at marks alone.

Whereas at GCSE higher the marks needed for a C are really quite low (compared to A level!). The sort of people entered for foundation probably don't like exams at the best of times, so despite the questions being easier, many probably just 'switch off', don't bother and ultimately don't scrape together the high number of marks required for a C, instead getting lower, which is no use and they have to resit in college etc, wasting everybody's time. It'd be better to put the effort into learning slightly harder content to get a C in higher, this probably involves both teachers and pupils alike. In fact I remember in maths some textbooks differentiated certain questions to different grades so in theory those aiming for a C could just master all the C/B level questions and miss out the A questions and possibly get a C?

For example in Edexcel maths last year:
Higher: 65/200 for a C
Found: 139/200 for a C.
Doing higher seems to be 'better value' for marks.
Original post by BirdIsWord
Definitely. It's a joke how easy foundation papers are. The foundation maths papers for example are literally year 7 level maths.

Some people develop later/interests change and some people dont see the importance of education in year 10-11 so put in no effort

Without the foundation year maths paper I wouldnt be where I am today so its important for some people
Original post by bj1
Yes. Of course the questions are much easier, but when you consider the number of marks required for each grade, the marks/percentage needed for a C could be equivalent to that of an A/B on a higher paper - looking at marks alone.

Whereas at GCSE higher the marks needed for a C are really quite low (compared to A level!). The sort of people entered for foundation probably don't like exams at the best of times, so despite the questions being easier, many probably just 'switch off', don't bother and ultimately don't scrape together the high number of marks required for a C, instead getting lower, which is no use and they have to resit in college etc, wasting everybody's time. It'd be better to put the effort into learning slightly harder content to get a C in higher, this probably involves both teachers and pupils alike. In fact I remember in maths some textbooks differentiated certain questions to different grades so in theory those aiming for a C could just master all the C/B level questions and miss out the A questions and possibly get a C?

For example in Edexcel maths last year:
Higher: 65/200 for a C
Found: 139/200 for a C.
Doing higher seems to be 'better value' for marks.

As a current GCSE student I completely understand, foundation is not taken seriously by students and in maths this case is very relevant but in subjects like science where half of the students in my school do foundation, all they care about is passing the subject and they believe foundation is good for them and are confident in passing... We can't deny them the opportunity to pass their exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by funky2722
I've never done foundation, but I understand, some people don't care and even if they are lazy, why should we care? People are entitled to their own lives.

Yes some dont care etc but a fair few will change their mindset as they mature so having a D/getting the opportunity to get a C without feeling drowned by B+ grade content is important as they need those grades for some college courses etc (I was one of these people, going for very lazy to very hard working)

Without the foundation paper I would of gotten a U originally in my GCSE maths (instead of a D which I then gave me some confidence to retake and get a C) which would of killed my interest in maths and probably wouldnt be going into 2nd year theoretical physics at a russell group with a first in all the maths modules now :smile:

So thanks to the foundation papers I will in 2 years hopefully be going to do a phd in an area of theoretical physics or geometry if I continue my current grades
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Jawsomesauce35
As a current GCSE student I completely understand, foundation is not taken seriously by students and in maths this case is very relevant but in subjects like science where half of the students in my school do foundation, all they care about is passing the subject and they believe foundation is good for them and are confident in passing... We can't deny them the opportunity to pass their exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it depends on the subject, for maths and english higher should be considered for most/all, but for science and arguably the 'academic' option subjects e.g. geography, history, languages, it may be wise to retain foundation for some. I can't comment on the difficulty of 'GCSE Science' since I did triple sciences but I know many who did higher in all subjects and were in middle sets for science but did foundation for certain units, so I understand.

I agree with setting students by ability, however I think the lowest could've been mixed with the 'middle' attainers. For the core subjects and science there was Set 1 (for science we did triple science) then sets 2-5 all did higher, with set 5 being 'borderline'. Then there was set 6,7,8 which was the problem, who all did foundation. I'm not sure what their (english/maths) classes were like, but if they were surrounded by similar abilities/behaviour I can't imagine there being much motivation and possibly poor behaviour and so poor progress. They could be mixed with the 'middle' students which could help.
Ideally for English/maths I would have a set 1/2 to stretch the highest ability to A*s, then mix sets 3-7 who need to pass, and a much smaller foundation group for those who may need special support.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, tbf I sat the foundation paper (not because I think I'm incapable) but rather because i had a shadow of doubt that I'll fail. The foundation paper made me feel more confident and comfortable with my ability in mathematics. I'm predicted to get 1 A*, 3 As, 1 B and 3 Cs. I'm quite happy with these grades and they can get me to my aspirations and goals. In my overall opinion, i do not thing that the foundation paper is a bad idea at all, it gives versatility to other candidates who do not excel in this segment of education. It's all good and dandy saying a person is quote on quote "retarded", but they may excel in another subject that another may not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bj1
I think it depends on the subject, for maths and english higher should be considered for most/all, but for science and arguably the 'academic' option subjects e.g. geography, history, languages, it may be wise to retain foundation for some. I can't comment on the difficulty of 'GCSE Science' since I did triple sciences but I know many who did higher in all subjects and were in middle sets for science but did foundation for certain units, so I understand.

I agree with setting students by ability, however I think the lowest could've been mixed with the 'middle' attainers. For the core subjects and science there was Set 1 (for science we did triple science) then sets 2-5 all did higher, with set 5 being 'borderline'. Then there was set 6,7,8 which was the problem, who all did foundation. I'm not sure what their (english/maths) classes were like, but if they were surrounded by similar abilities/behaviour I can't imagine there being much motivation and possibly poor behaviour and so poor progress. They could be mixed with the 'middle' students which could help.
Ideally for English/maths I would have a set 1/2 to stretch the highest ability to A*s, then mix sets 3-7 who need to pass, and a much smaller foundation group for those who may need special support.

In some cases, teachers are the ones that decide which paper the student does for their exams so in that case, students are discouraged to do great because they've been put down by their teachers leading them to believe that they can't do well. This could be a reason to get rid of foundation papers so all students have a chance to exceed their expectations

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Yes originally we was sitting a higher paper as we was told it was easier to get a c but then got changed to foundation. Not really sure whether this will have helped grades or not, we will see !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by funky2722
What about greg? And I don't have a problem with you, I just want you to see how if I am making you feel annoyed, you're doing the same to others. If you want to joke don't be obnoxious please. I'm sure you're incredibly talented, but you don't need to rub it in people's faces. I'm predicted slghtly higher grades, but I don't want to rub it in your face. So please just stop.

Of course you're predicted higher grades...
The fact that you won't share them indicates you're just jealous and I doubt you are predicted higher.
Foundation is easier but that's made up for in the grade boundaries. For example in Chemistry on higher you only need 1/3 marks to get a C where as on foundation you need 2/3 sometimes more. Yes the questions may be easier but for them they aren't they struggle like we struggle on higher.
Original post by xEmilyxx
Foundation shouldn't be scrapped.
Most of you on this post seem to be the sorta C and higher achievers, so of course, all of you should be entered for higher tiers to get your best possible grade. I have friends who could be getting Bs, but are instead entered for foundation which is of course, limiting them. But this issue should be taken directly to your teacher and if you feel that strongly you should do higher, then stop sitting on your backsides complaining and get parents to complain to school and make some actual progress.

Foundation is designed for pupils who are just looking to pass, and some of the skills that higher papers ask you are just too much out of the reach of these sorts of pupils, even though the grade boundaries are lower and seem easy to achieve. Take science AQA for example, the higher papers require you to apply knowledge, whilst foundation just needs you to recall information. If you're hoping to go into an apprenticeship or a BTEC unrelated to science, then all you want is a pass right. So the foundation papers give the opportunity to get a pass on memory and revision skills. It's much better than putting a pupil of a low ability through the strains that everyone else can find quite easy on the higher paper. Besides, higher papers are designed to get you Bs and As and A*s, if you're only aiming for a C I don't think there's even much point, especially if you struggle with it.

Same with maths and English. If you're one of those who likes to complain about how trigonometry is irrelevant for your future compared to simple numeracy skills, then foundation maths is designed for those pupils who just want to get a C to show they have some mathematical ability that could help them in their future jobs. The AQA English language papers ask you to use more basic skills, like less language analysis. And to be honest, not all jobs need you show you can analyse language. So, foundation is also relevant for this subject.

I'm guaranteed a full set of Bs and higher at GCSE, but In French I was entered for Higher reading and listening foundation. I'll still get a B though, because my coursework is an A. But I chose foundation in this case because I struggled that much with the quicker speaking, and as I'm not taking French to A Level I don't really need to give myself an ego boost and do higher. I just want my B.

Maybe if you all actually thought into the purpose of foundation, you'll get it. It's meant to be easier for a reason. But if you find it that easy, go do higher and get a B or A or something.

I agree with you to an extent. I do think certain subjects need a foundation paper i.e. the Core subjects, but the options do not need a foundation paper. If somebody is going to only get a C in maths then chances are they want to take a vocational course such as hairdressing, plumbing, public services etc. at Level 3 BTEC, so maybe a Level 2 BTEC will suit them better than doing GCSE options at foundation level?
Original post by Lalarw
I am the retard. Yet, I am in higher for everything, you're the one that is probably doing a btec level health and social care course.

Don't be so rude you ignorant prick
Original post by CrazyFool229
I agree with you to an extent. I do think certain subjects need a foundation paper i.e. the Core subjects, but the options do not need a foundation paper. If somebody is going to only get a C in maths then chances are they want to take a vocational course such as hairdressing, plumbing, public services etc. at Level 3 BTEC, so maybe a Level 2 BTEC will suit them better than doing GCSE options at foundation level?

That definitely wasnt true for my year 11 cohort, alot of us went to do A-levels and then a fair few of those are now at uni
Original post by madmadmax321
That definitely wasnt true for my year 11 cohort, alot of us went to do A-levels and then a fair few of those are now at uni

That's great.

What are they studying?
Original post by CrazyFool229
That's great.

What are they studying?

I study theoretical physics, the others do mech eng, chem eng, chemistry, psychology (x2), straight physics, history and another humantities subject (think it was geography)

Also 6 of these (including myself) are at russell groups (not top 5, though I did have an offer from a top 5)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by madmadmax321
I study theoretical physics, the others do mech eng, chem eng, chemistry, psychology (x2), straight physics, history and another humantities subject (think it was geography)

Also 6 of these (including myself) are at russell groups (not top 5, though I did have an offer from a top 5)

Nice!
Reply 76
Original post by Lalarw
Must have not put enough effort in that, what a shame.

Through out the year my teachers either left or had really long 'sick leave'. Because of this my whole class did foundation and we did not get to Additional science and English lit because there was not enough time to revise for them.
Some people aren't good at maths or English or science or what have you. That's just the way it works. I'm terrible at Maths - granted, I was moved to higher in Year 10, but only because I scraped a B once. You people should want your fellow students to get Cs. Why are you all being so snotty and snobby and callous? It's not 'easy' to get a C in Foundation, it's harder because the whole reason they're in the bloody set is because they find it hard, and thus requires more work. Just because a person just isn't good at a certain subject doesn't mean they're being lazy. Try and tell my dyslexic friend who came from a childhood where he wasn't taught to read and write years after his fellow pupils were that he's stupid and lazy. Because he isn't, and he's working his arse off to get a C in English because he's ambitious and wants a good future which unfortunately seems to lie on good grades. You're no better than anyone in Foundation and certainly no more intelligent if you think they're lower than you because intelligence and good grades are so different.
Students feel enormous pressure as it is without their bloody peers telling them they're lazy morons.
(edited 7 years ago)
I believe that everyone should do the same paper. IMO, exams are a measurement of academic ability. If a student fails to succeed in their exams despite their hard work then it is clear that academics is not the path for them and they should look towards another path in life rather than advancing onto academics. Therefore, they should consider doing something along the lines of going straight into work, the military (although the military does have a huge range of academic ability, especially army officers who have graduated from Oxbridge), apprenticeships rather than them doing something which is not suited to them. Think of it like a harsh reality check. Education is not always the key to success in life.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
The whole content of gcse English and maths could do with being overhauled in order to make it more useful for everyone, and more worthwhile considering it is compulsory for college and employment. But 'analysing poetry/newspapers/spoken language' and algebra in maths have no use whatsoever for real life for those who need to simply pass those subjects. English should focus more on writing skills and particularly spelling and maths needs more real life context such as calculating interest, bills and taxes etc. Save all the algebra and English analysis for A level.

I think the only worthwhile subjects in terms of gcse content are science and languages. Geography was also a bit odd - a lot of theory and case studies but i bet many would have passed without being able to name a single continent, country etc. I didn't do history but those who did seem to have been caught up with 'sources' more than any actual history content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest