The Student Room Group

I'm a Sikh planning to marry a Muslim AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chakede
you are aware that sikhism allows a sikh to marry anyone of other faith ( unlike islam if she is actualy practicing muslim)
this is why sikhs do marry christians and hindus (and vice versa) and do not have to contradict their own teachings . if she is a genuine muslim it would be difficult to avoid eating halal - which as you say is a fundamental , but the other is smoking / drinking- which im sure you will accept many sikhs do and still preach to others about morality , politics etc

Sure, Sikhi is open minded generally; however in this case, a marriage may only between a Sikh and another Sikh - the Anand Karaj is meant to be a 'merging of the souls' and an agreement to walk the path of the Guru together; this cannot be done with a non-Sikh unless they renounce their faith in order to go onto the Gurus. Naturally you will have those airy fairy people who preach that Sikhs are want unity with all religions with no limitation, but only those who compromise on their religion would actually go as far as to mean integrating in ways like marriage; the reality is that there is a limitation.

At this point, one may get int a more complex debate that Guru Nanak had both Muslim and Hindu followers, but by the time we get to the last Guru? The Sikhs already had a seperate and distinct identity, and although some Hindus and Sufi Muslims might have been inspired by the Gurus and had amicable relations with the community, they did not become Sikh unless they gave up their faith - and I have not heard of a Sikh Muslim, for example.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Sure, Sikhi is open minded generally; however in this case, a marriage may only between a Sikh and another Sikh - the Anand Karaj is meant to be a 'merging of the souls' and an agreement to walk the path of the Guru together; this cannot be done with a non-Sikh unless they renounce their faith in order to go onto the Gurus. Naturally you will have those airy fairy people who preach that Sikhs are want unity with all religions with no limitation, but only those who compromise on their religion would actually go as far as to mean integrating in ways like marriage; the reality is that there is a limitation.

At this point, one may get int a more complex debate that Guru Nanak had both Muslim and Hindu followers, but by the time we get to the last Guru? The Sikhs already had a seperate and distinct identity, and although some Hindus and Sufi Muslims might have been inspired by the Gurus and had amicable relations with the community, they did not become Sikh unless they gave up their faith - and I have not heard of a Sikh Muslim, for example.

i am of course talking about the actually principles of Sikhi, not the political aspirations of some sikhs who only want marriage to other sikhs , or indeed hardline hindus that only want marriage to other hindus, buddhists for buddhists etc.
my point then is that sikh doctrine does not prevent adherents from marrying other faiths, as long as those dont force them to adopt ways fundamentally sins in sikhism. in same way a hindu and christian can marry a sikh, as it doesnt interfere with their own faith. It is fairly common for example in punjab hindu families , for the 2nd son to be baptised as a sikh - a centuries old tradtion this has led to sikhism continuing in those parts of the state. neither sikhism nor hinduism require the conversion of others
marrying a practicing muslims however would directly interfere with the requirement not to deal in halal slaughter.
Original post by singher
She is aware that it opposes her religion, though we both believe that carrying this out will benefit us.

And she is practicing. I.e. she prays 5 times a day, fasts, wears hijab etc.

If she was truly practising she would fear Allah for getting married to you, because her marriage is not valid and thus she will be committing fornication.

Something is wrong here.

I'm only pushing this because I genuinely am worried this may fail, nothing personal bro.
Reply 103
Original post by That Arab Guy
If she was truly practising she would fear Allah for getting married to you, because her marriage is not valid and thus she will be committing fornication.

Something is wrong here.

I'm only pushing this because I genuinely am worried this may fail, nothing personal bro.

Well she is truly practicing. And it is valid in the UK to marry someone from a different religion. So technically it is not fornication.

And how will this fail? On what reason?
Original post by singher
Well she is truly practicing. And it is valid in the UK to marry someone from a different religion. So technically it is not fornication.

And how will this fail? On what reason?

UK law has no ground upon Islamic law for a Muslim. I was talking about fornication under islamic law.

It can fail if she truly realises she is about to commit huge sin for the rest of her life.

Again this is assuming she is practising Islam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 105
UK law has no ground upon Islamic law. I was talking about fornication under islamic law.

It can fail if she truly realises she is about to make some huge sins for the rest of her life.

Well we live in the UK. Islamic law is not imposed, and I am glad it is not.

And there are no sins to commit. Marrying her will help her to commit less sins. And yes she is practicing.
Original post by singher

And there are no sins to commit. Marrying her will help her to commit less sins. And yes she is practicing.

Marrying her would be a huge sin as I have already explained; what sin would you be helping her stop?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 107
Marrying her would be a huge sin as I have already explained; what sin would you be helping her stop?

Well I will help her stop anything that she is struggling with by supporting her.
Original post by singher
Well I will help her stop anything that she is struggling with by supporting her.

If you want to really support and help her be a better Muslim, then leave her be to marry a Muslim guy.
Original post by singher

I think you're confused about how Islamic Law is imposed.
Ngl this guy singher reads like a troll

"shes practicing..." >>> actually in a relationship with a non-Muslim and has said shes ok with committing to a lifetime of zina.

Either practicing means something different where the OP is from or this is just a troll.

If you want to really support and help her be a better Muslim, then leave her be to marry a Muslim guy.

UK law has no ground upon Islamic law. I was talking about fornication under islamic law.

It can fail if she truly realises she is about to make some huge sins for the rest of her life.

Reply 111

Too late for that, we are already in love.
Original post by singher
Too late for that, we are already in love.

If you 'love' her, then you'd do what's best for her even if it involves leaving her if its in her best interests; this is just you being selfish.

Original post by manutd fc2
Ngl this guy singher reads like a troll

"shes practicing..." >>> actually in a relationship with a non-Muslim and has said shes ok with committing to a lifetime of zina.

Either practicing means something different where the OP is from or this is just a troll.

I know he does sound like a troll but giving benefit of the doubt
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Chakede
i am of course talking about the actually principles of Sikhi, not the political aspirations of some sikhs who only want marriage to other sikhs , or indeed hardline hindus that only want marriage to other hindus, buddhists for buddhists etc.
my point then is that sikh doctrine does not prevent adherents from marrying other faiths, as long as those dont force them to adopt ways fundamentally sins in sikhism. in same way a hindu and christian can marry a sikh, as it doesnt interfere with their own faith. It is fairly common for example in punjab hindu families , for the 2nd son to be baptised as a sikh - a centuries old tradtion this has led to sikhism continuing in those parts of the state. neither sikhism nor hinduism require the conversion of others
marrying a practicing muslims however would directly interfere with the requirement not to deal in halal slaughter.

Yes, this exactly.

And the Halal slaughter is not an issue. If I didn't want to eat the meat, she will not force me. We respect each other. She is free to eat whatever she wants though, and I am not going to stop her.
V
Original post by Chakede
so are honour killings unfortunately

I agree honour killings are much too often, if are worried may be a victim of such a thing you need to call the police, if in less prominent danger call a women's abuse refuge.
Reply 115
Original post by Chakede
you are aware that sikhism allows a sikh to marry anyone of other faith ( unlike islam if she is actualy practicing muslim)
this is why sikhs do marry christians and hindus (and vice versa) and do not have to contradict their own teachings . if she is a genuine muslim it would be difficult to avoid eating halal - which as you say is a fundamental , but the other is smoking / drinking- which im sure you will accept many sikhs do and still preach to others about morality , politics etc

I already eat Halal myself. And even if I didn't, she wouldn't force me. I don't see why people think it's such a major issue in relationships. I mean one partner could be vegetarian, the other could eat all meat. It doesn't make a difference as there is no force feeding.
This thread is slightly depressing (even if OP is trolling).

Just goes to show religion does create barriers for people.
Reply 117
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
This thread is slightly depressing (even if OP is trolling).

Just goes to show religion does create barriers for people.

It certainly doesn't create barriers for me.
Well if your parents are fine with it and you're not going to move to a country where you'll have to convert then go for it! :smile:) Wishing you all the best
Original post by singher
I already eat Halal myself. And even if I didn't, she wouldn't force me.

if you do so out of choice already, then it sounds like you are more of a muslim than a sikh now anyway. i dont know of any other religious person that would specfically choose to eat halal slaughtered food

Quick Reply

Latest