The Student Room Group

If i take 4 A levels next year, will my uni offer consist of 4 grade requirement

or will they just give me the typical 3 grade requirement ?

I am currently in year 12
No it will still be 3 grades as your offer - unless you're applying to oxbridge where they're more specific and can give 4 grade offers
Original post by Science_help

Why don't you just apply for three if you're worried about it?
Reply 3

Usually you will get a 3 A-level offer. But some universities for some courses do issue 4 A-levels offers if you have 4.

What courses and universities are you considering? And what are your A-levels?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Usually you will get a 3 A-level offer. But some universities for some courses do issue 4 A-levels offers if you have 4.

What courses and universities are you considering? And what are your A-levels?
Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for the reply I am currently doing maths physics chem and biology, hoping to apply for chemical engineering. my physics has been weak this year due to me not working hard at all but want to prove that I can do well In it and also next year syllabus looks interesting.

My dream university would be Nottingham university.
Birmingham , Bath, Sheffiedl and Bradford as other options hopefully

those universities require between a range of A*AA to AAB and I think I'm more than capable of attaining that in chemistry biology and maths but I still want to do A level physics, but rather it not be asked as a 4th grade requirement, as I'm not as confident in it atm

once again thank you for your replies

Original post by CorpusLuteum
Why don't you just apply for three if you're worried about it?
Original post by tcameron
No it will still be 3 grades as your offer - unless you're applying to oxbridge where they're more specific and can give 4 grade offers

thank you for your reply :smile:

Highly unlikely but will depend on where you apply and what for

I know of few people who got offers from imperial where they made an offer containing 4 alevels
It may be worth contacting the departments individually via their admissions contact to see if they can tell you anything more. That said, they often don't seem very keen to say the will/won't make a certain type of offer. When I applied I already had one A level done and nobody wanted to tell me whether it would be taken into account when they made my offers (in the end I think every place did, either by lowering a grade requirement or dropping it down to two grades.) But they may still be able to give you an idea of general policy regarding entrance criteria and offers.

I was doing 4 A levels in year 13 and none of my offers seemed to account for the extra subject, but as I say, I already had one grade so that might have helped.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

My dream university would be Nottingham university.
Birmingham , Bath, Sheffiedl and Bradford as other options hopefully

Birmingham says A*AA/AAAA which implies you might get a 4 A-level offer.

It would be worth asking them directly to confirm what their policy is. It could be if you get A*AA then they won't mind about the 4th.

The others don't afaik ask for 4.

You can also check the TSR University Connect pages to see previous real offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They can specify the 3 A levels in the offer, so you may get an ultimatum on how well your Physics A level goes.
No University will give you any extra points for taking 4 A levels. It wont impress anyone, or put you any further up the offer list.

AAA looks better than BBBB. Yet this is what you risk by taking on the work load of 4 subjects. Think VERY carefully about why you are doing 4 subjects.
Reply 11
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
They can specify the 3 A levels in the offer, so you may get an ultimatum on how well your Physics A level goes.

Good point. Particularly for engineering.
Probably not best to take 3 to really concentrate on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending