The Student Room Group

Donald Trump calls for Barack Obama to resign in wake of Orlando shooting

Donald Trump, the presumptive Republican nominee, has said that President Barack Obama should “resign in disgrace” for failing to call the Orlando massacre "Islamic terrorism".

The businessman used the attack in which 50 people were shot dead as a chance to boast that he was "right on radical Islamic terrorism".

Because our leaders are weak, I said this was going to happen - and it is only going to get worse,
Mr Trump said in a statement.
I am trying to save lives and prevent the next terrorist attack. We can't afford to be politically correct anymore.

Mr Trump's campaign said he will address the attacks in a speech he already had scheduled to deliver on Monday addressing national security.

Mr Trump, who has called for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the United States, earlier tweeted that he had heard reports that Omar Mateen shouted “Allahu Akbar” something the police, FBI and Florida politicians have been careful not to mention until confirmed.

Appreciate the congrats for being right on radical Islamic terrorism,
he wrote,
I don't want congrats, I want toughness & vigilance. We must be smart!
Mr Obama preferred to wait for more details before issuing a sombre address to the nation.

Today, as Americans, we grieve the brutal murder, a horrific massacre, of dozens of innocent people,
he said. On Thursday, he had welcomed representatives of the LGBT community to the White House to celebrate the beginning of gay pride month, commending them for their resilience and advocacy.

We pray for their families, who are grasping for answers with broken hearts. We stand with the people of Orlando, who have endured a terrible attack on their city,
he said yesterday.

Although it's still early in the investigation, we know enough to say that this was an act of terror and an act of hate, and as Americans we are united in grief, in outrage and in resolve to defend our people.

Hillary Clinton used the attack to reiterate her long-standing call for gun control. At present, even Americans who are on a No Fly list are able to buy weapons, something Mr Obama and Mrs Clinton have described as madness.

Mateen had permit for concealed carry of a weapon despite being on the FBI’s radar.

She struck a similar tone to the president, describing it as “an act of terror” but waiting to hear more information.

Law enforcement and intelligence agencies are hard at work, and we will learn more in the hours and days ahead,
she said.

For now, we can say for certain that we need to redouble our efforts to defend our country from threats at home and abroad. That means defeating international terror groups, working with allies and partners to go after them wherever they are, countering their attempts to recruit people here and everywhere, and hardening our defenses at home.

It also means refusing to be intimidated and staying true to our values.
Mr Trump has said the existing background check system should be fixed, not expanded, and that assault-weapons bans do not work.

Marco Rubio, senator for Florida, said the attack represented “the new face of the war on terror.”

We know they seek to intimidate us. We know they seek to terrorise us. But they won’t win.

Islamic terrorists need to know they will not win.

Whatever differences we have, we are all Americans, despite the threat we confront.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/12/donald-trump-boasts-he-was-right-on-radical-islamic-terrorism-in/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Using a tragedy to further his political goals, sad really.
Reply 2
Honestly, Obama needs to stop being politically correct and call this attack what it is- Islamic terrorism. We need to acknowledge a problem if we want to solve it.
Original post by saeed9753

Sometimes a tragedy is only a tragedy for the obligatory mourning period. After that it becomes somebody's fault (and not just the perpetrator's). Politicians, and especially presidential candidates, have a right and indeed a duty to respond to incidents such as this, because how they respond to it and what they propose to do to stop it from happening again are important factors in the decision process for voters.

Besides, Obama frequently uses incidents like this to further his gun control goals, and indeed every leading politician has their own angle on such things. In reality, it's not that people are using this to achieve something they want, but the opposite: these incidents shape a new reality which forces people to react and drive for change.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Copperknickers
Sometimes a tragedy is only a tragedy for the obligatory mourning period. After that it becomes somebody's fault (and not just the perpetrator's). Politicians, and especially presidential candidates, have a right and indeed a duty to respond to incidents such as this, because how they respond to it and what they propose to do to stop it from happening again are important factors in the decision process for voters.

I agree

Nope, he's addressing a serious problem.
Trump's the only person who can deal with these kind of attacks by Muslims. The sooner November comes and he's elected the better.
Original post by Trapz99
Honestly, Obama needs to stop being politically correct and call this attack what it is- Islamic terrorism. We need to acknowledge a problem if we want to solve it.

What Obama said is examplary. It's sad that you don't have the foresight to envision how a a trump presidency would pit different demographics of America against each other.

His very presendential campaign sparks violent confrontation ffs
(edited 7 years ago)
I genuinely don't think Trump would be as bad as president as the mainstream media like to make out.
#Trump4Pressy
Reply 10
"We must be smart!"

Donald Trump. :lol:
Reply 11

Yes because it was only trump who mentioned his stance on this.
Original post by Josb
"We must be smart!"

Donald Trump. :lol:

A billionaire who's been wildly successful in various fields and is very feasibly going to become the most powerful person on Earth is definitely in a position to talk about being smart.

If literally anybody else had his achievements in life, there'd be no question of his intellect. The government however didn't choose him so they got the puppets in the media to portray him to people like you as idiots.
Reply 13
Original post by Diego Costa
A billionaire who's been wildly successful in various fields and is very feasibly going to become the most powerful person on Earth is definitely in a position to talk about being smart.

If literally anybody else had his achievements in life, there'd be no question of his intellect. The government however didn't choose him so they got the puppets in the media to portray him to people like you as idiots.

I know that Trump is smart, but his campaign hasn't relied on intelligence.
A billionaire who's been wildly successful in various fields...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/nyregion/donald-trump-atlantic-city.html

He's been very good at insisting he is wildly successful. I suspect the real reason he's not releasing his tax returns is that they would suggest otherwise.
Original post by Camilli
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/06/12/nyregion/donald-trump-atlantic-city.html

He's been very good at insisting he is wildly successful. I suspect the real reason he's not releasing his tax returns is that they would suggest otherwise.

In politics and TV alone he has been very successful. I dunno why you're trying to argue he's done badly financially, he's the creator of billion dollar empire.
He turned an inheritance into something. Whether he's done as well as he could have investing passively in equities, or whether he could have done even that well without taking money from bond holders and "University" students maxing out their credit cards is an open question.

Seriously-- would a legitimate billionaire who gave a crap about anything meaningful have to resort to such a chicken **** scam as "Trump University"?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by TaintedLight
What Obama said is examplary. It's sad that you don't have the foresight to envision how a a trump presidency would pit different demographics of America against each other.

His very presendential campaign sparks violent confrontation ffs

Lol.

Trump makes a speech.

Leftist lunatics attack Trump and Trump supporters.

It's Trump's fault!one!221
I have a hard time putting into words the disdain I have for this man (Trump, that is). I also have a hard time fathoming how a man like him has garnered enough support to be a genuine contender for presidential election. If you are planning to vote for Trump in November, this man who's response to the murder of 50 people was to boast that he was right, then I feel deeply sorry for you and your country, to which you will be doing a grave disservice.
I genuinely don't think Trump would be as bad as president as the mainstream media like to make out.

Says diego costa, whos antics is indifferentiable from trump supporters

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending