The Student Room Group

Self teach as physics over summer? Sit the exam externally?

I'm studying maths, economics and history at AS level (or was until yesterday, finished my final exam). I took my options originally wanting to do something like economics or history at uni, now after thinking and a lot of research I wanna do mechanical engineering, and these few weeks before September is prob my best chance to self teach an a level if there ever was one. I find maths the easiest of my 3 subjects (I guess cus I spent so much time on it, but thats because it's also my fav). So yeah if I buy a textbook this week and get learnin is it a good idea? Also, are any other a levels required for mechanical engineering?

Feel like exams went well, aiming for AAB, and I deffo feel I got the A in maths, was getting 90+% in past papers and the exams werent any different lol. Alright sorry for the essay and responses would be sooooo appreciated
I think that's really impressive, so long as you're dedicated enough to put in the hours, I don't see why not. Most of mechanics and electricity should be fine to self teach, remember there's YouTube for the weird sounding new concepts, and use your mates that take physics for help. You may want to speak to your science teachers as well, see if they have resources

When are you planning on sitting the as level?
Reply 2
Original post by Vicky628
I think that's really impressive, so long as you're dedicated enough to put in the hours, I don't see why not. Most of mechanics and electricity should be fine to self teach, remember there's YouTube for the weird sounding new concepts, and use your mates that take physics for help. You may want to speak to your science teachers as well, see if they have resources

When are you planning on sitting the as level?

Aren't they only in May/June time? That's the main problem. I wish January exams were still a thing. I'm not 100% sure though, so you can correct me
Original post by wrattempt
Aren't they only in May/June time? That's the main problem. I wish January exams were still a thing. I'm not 100% sure though, so you can correct me

That was my thinking, like even if you learn it all now, you'll have forgotten it in a year (think of like your biology GCSE knowledge, that was a year ago) and you won't want to be taking extra exams during the stressful A2 exams...
Reply 4
That was my thinking, like even if you learn it all now, you'll have forgotten it in a year (think of like your biology GCSE knowledge, that was a year ago) and you won't want to be taking extra exams during the stressful A2 exams...

Meh, if you mean sitting AS and A2 simultaneously, it wouldn't be that bad, similar to an A2 student just resitting their AS exam to get a higher grade. But what can you tell unis if you don't have an AS level grade this year and you don't have a teacher to predict you a grade (I might be able to get a teacher to help me, I'm just assuming)
Meh, if you mean sitting AS and A2 simultaneously, it wouldn't be that bad, similar to an A2 student just resitting their AS exam to get a higher grade. But what can you tell unis if you don't have an AS level grade this year and you don't have a teacher to predict you a grade (I might be able to get a teacher to help me, I'm just assuming)

It's still two more exams than you have to, and is it worth potentially compromising your other subjects for it? Most AS retakes are done by students who are doing the A2, which would make it easier

Is physics required for all courses?
Reply 6
It's still two more exams than you have to, and is it worth potentially compromising your other subjects for it? Most AS retakes are done by students who are doing the A2, which would make it easier

Is physics required for all courses?

It must be, I've looked into this quite a lot, even if there isn't I want to get onto a good course, I'm a student who gets good grades, I don't wanna ruin that just cus I didn't take a crucial subject. I really want to do this, do you have any ideas on how to go by it?
It must be, I've looked into this quite a lot, even if there isn't I want to get onto a good course, I'm a student who gets good grades, I don't wanna ruin that just cus I didn't take a crucial subject. I really want to do this, do you have any ideas on how to go by it?

I'd look at recognised qualifications that don't have exams in May, but if there's nothing I'd learn all the content in the summer. Make bloody brilliant revision notes. Then subscribe to a bunch of physics podcasts/newsletters, make sure to look over a topic a week throughout the year. Don't forget about it, else you will have to retract it in the summer. Keep interested, and try and read around the subject during the year

I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 8
I'd look at recognised qualifications that don't have exams in May, but if there's nothing I'd learn all the content in the summer. Make bloody brilliant revision notes. Then subscribe to a bunch of physics podcasts/newsletters, make sure to look over a topic a week throughout the year. Don't forget about it, else you will have to retract it in the summer. Keep interested, and try and read around the subject during the year

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks for your replies bro <3 and yeah the absolute least I can do now is start learning the content
Thanks for your replies bro <3 and yeah the absolute least I can do now is start learning the content

No worries! Let me know how you're getting on, and I can help you with the content if need be:biggrin:
Talk to your school about the options - e.g. can you take Physics in a year etc with lessons if you drop History or Economics?

Physics a a reformed A level so there are 3 exams needed for the full A level and you'd have to take all 3 in one Summer whether you'd taken the AS or not.
Reply 11
Original post by Compost
Talk to your school about the options - e.g. can you take Physics in a year etc with lessons if you drop History or Economics?

Physics a a reformed A level so there are 3 exams needed for the full A level and you'd have to take all 3 in one Summer whether you'd taken the AS or not.

Yeah, I thought lessons might be a good idea, but that would mean I'd be in an A2 class, I'd have to teach AS independantly. I'm gonna talk to the school, but not for a few weeks or so once I've learnt a reasonable amount of the course, just to prove that I am motivated
Yeah, I thought lessons might be a good idea, but that would mean I'd be in an A2 class, I'd have to teach AS independantly. I'm gonna talk to the school, but not for a few weeks or so once I've learnt a reasonable amount of the course, just to prove that I am motivated

We have had students attend AS and A2 classes simultaneously. Obviously it's not ideal, but there are quite a few A2 topics that don't require AS first.
Reply 13
No worries! Let me know how you're getting on, and I can help you with the content if need be:biggrin:

Looked at the specification but theres not much I can do tonight without the textbook lol. I'll go out and buy it tomorrow and start then
Reply 14
Original post by Compost
We have had students attend AS and A2 classes simultaneously. Obviously it's not ideal, but there are quite a few A2 topics that don't require AS first.

Yeah, that's an idea actually. I'm still gonna self teach over summer just to get ahead on the course and to prove them I'm not just wasting their time
Reply 15

Hi, thanks, idk if you'll read this but are there any GCSE concepts worth going over? Just sometimes the textbook assumes you've just finished your physics GCSE, but I haven't done it properly in over a year lol
Hi, thanks, idk if you'll read this but are there any GCSE concepts worth going over? Just sometimes the textbook assumes you've just finished your physics GCSE, but I haven't done it properly in over a year lol

I don't think so, I do AQA and the textbook covers all the GCSE stuff and then moves on to the a level:biggrin: if you have your revision notes etc from GCSE, keep them just in case, but you should be fine, even if bits need a bit of a recap
The new course doesn't require you to sit AS exams in order to count towards A2.

What I suggest you do is teach yourself AS Physics over the summer and ask if you can join the A2 classes in September? That might be an option you could look into.
I'm studying maths, economics and history at AS level (or was until yesterday, finished my final exam). I took my options originally wanting to do something like economics or history at uni, now after thinking and a lot of research I wanna do mechanical engineering, and these few weeks before September is prob my best chance to self teach an a level if there ever was one. I find maths the easiest of my 3 subjects (I guess cus I spent so much time on it, but thats because it's also my fav). So yeah if I buy a textbook this week and get learnin is it a good idea? Also, are any other a levels required for mechanical engineering?

Feel like exams went well, aiming for AAB, and I deffo feel I got the A in maths, was getting 90+% in past papers and the exams werent any different lol. Alright sorry for the essay and responses would be sooooo appreciated

You could self teach the content for as physics in 2 weeks fairly easy if you take to it as there isnt really anything difficult in physics as content
Reply 19
Original post by madmadmax321
You could self teach the content for as physics in 2 weeks fairly easy if you take to it as there isnt really anything difficult in physics as content

Thanks, any recommendations to any youtube videos/channels to watch? i'm finding them quite useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending