The Student Room Group

Shooting in gay club in Florida

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Opinion
There is no reason to suggest that he was mentally disturbed, just very devout in his beliefs.

“A few months after we were married I saw his instability, I saw his bipolar, and he would get mad out of nowhere, and that’s when I started worrying about my safety.Then after a few months he started abusing me physically, very often, and not allowing me to speak to my family, and keeping me hostage from them,” she said.
She saw in him signs of “emotional instability, sickness He was mentally unstable and mentally ill [and] obviously disturbed, deeply, and traumatised”.

- His EX wife.

Even if there was no confirmation of his mental instability, it is so obvious that someone who goes out to take over 50 lives and injure many more is not normal, no matter how devout their belief.
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
You just love making stuff up

Why are you trying to deflect the attention away from islamic terrorism and move it towards gun control?

If you are willing to MURDER HUGE AMOUNTS OF PEOPLE I honestly don't think you would care whether guns are illegal or not.

"Oh guns are illegal, better not carry out that terrorist attack"

So you're telling me these people are willing to take huge risks by murdering huge amounts of people, but are not willing to go underground and find illegal firearms?

Liberal logic fails yet again!

Imagine you're an angry person who wants to kill as many people as you can.

In the UK, you have to go deep underground and into the black market / deep web to find firearms.

In the USA, as long as you have no violent crime history, mental illness or terrorist affiliation - you can literally walk into a shop and buy one.

I think it should be implicit that the open gun laws in the USA allowed this person to, in the first place, consider going on a mass shooting.
The picture just before Orlando.

Land of the free, home of the brave, zone of regular mass murder using weapons purchased in shops.

Original post by Romanoff
“A few months after we were married I saw his instability, I saw his bipolar, and he would get mad out of nowhere, and that’s when I started worrying about my safety.Then after a few months he started abusing me physically, very often, and not allowing me to speak to my family, and keeping me hostage from them,” she said.
She saw in him signs of “emotional instability, sickness He was mentally unstable and mentally ill [and] obviously disturbed, deeply, and traumatised”.

- His EX wife.

Even if there was no confirmation of his mental instability, it is so obvious that someone who goes out to take over 50 lives and injure many more is not normal, no matter how devout their belief.

You don't have to batty to kill 50 people... just look at the army.
It's disgusting how the Right are trying to minimise the fact that this was a disgusting hate crime committed against the LGBT community. Owen Jones, rightly, walked off the set of Sky News.

[video="youtube;9ITdjAb3VcE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITdjAb3VcE[/video]
Original post by The_Opinion
"More will emerge no doubt, but at this stage it's difficult not to join the dots and wonder if Trump's racist and homophobic campaigning in Florida has opened a space in the minds of far right wing lunatics to think that this type of murderous attack on gay people is somehow justifiable."

Rekt :laugh:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The picture just before Orlando.

Land of the free, home of the brave, zone of regular mass murder using weapons purchased in shops.

is everyone really going to focus on radical islam when on the same day a white man was arrested trying to get to a pride march with weapons too?
Original post by WhiteMan16

The average gun-toting middle aged civilian in the US is a crack shot in high stress combat situations then? We had better draft some into the army, they are clearly needed.
Original post by viddy9
It's disgusting how the Right are trying to minimise the fact that this was a disgusting hate crime committed against the LGBT community. Owen Jones, rightly, walked off the set of Sky News.

[video="youtube;9ITdjAb3VcE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ITdjAb3VcE[/video]

It's actually quite sinister how the Sky hack tries to twist it away from being an obvious homophobic attack to "an attack on people in general". I wonder if orders have been received from Rupe in his New York bunker instructing all the minions that this is not to be put across as an attack on gay people.
Original post by viddy9

I don't understand why did get so uptight?

Weren't the present, the woman and him all agreeing it was a callous homophobic and terrorist attack?

Also how is this 'the Right', what's 'Right' about Sky?
It's actually quite sinister how the Sky hack tries to twist it away from being an obvious homophobic attack to "an attack on people in general". I wonder if orders have been received from Rupe in his New York bunker instructing all the minions that this is not to be put across as an attack on gay people.

They called it a homophobic attack and that there was 'no question' that it was.
Original post by The Roast

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The Roast
I don't understand why did get so uptight?

Weren't the present, the woman and him all agreeing it was a callous homophobic and terrorist attack?

Sky News is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who is right-wing. I wasn't being entirely serious; just echoing what people in these situations constantly say about "the left", "leftists" and other variations on "left".

They weren't agreeing at all - Julia Hartley-Brewer was a bit better, but the Sky News presenter said "it was an attack on all human beings", yet as Jones pointed out, if this was an attack on a synagogue, he wouldn't say that at all. He said that "you can't say that this is a worse attack than Paris", which Jones never, ever implied, so that was a ridiculous comment to make.
Original post by viddy9
Sky News is owned by Rupert Murdoch, who is right-wing. I wasn't being entirely serious; just echoing what people in these situations constantly say about "the left", "leftists" and other variations on "left".

They weren't agreeing at all - Julia Hartley-Brewer was a bit better, but the Sky News presenter said "it was an attack on all human beings", yet as Jones pointed out, if this was an attack on a synagogue, he wouldn't say that at all. He said that "you can't say that this is a worse attack than Paris", which Jones never, ever implied, so that was a ridiculous comment to make.

Jones was angry for good reasons - it did look like a very deliberate attempt by Sky to push an agenda about this not being to do with gay people.

Murdoch has past form for this kind of anti-gay attitude.
http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/press-tycoon-rupert-murdoch-attacks-gay-groups-bullying170314/#gs.yOI=vbQ
In addition to being Muslim, the guy had a violent history and was mentally ill.

To me, the issue is not that he is Muslim. I couldn't care less.

The real issue is WHY WAS THIS GUY ALLOWED TO PURCHASE A GUN GIVEN HIS BACKGROUND?!
Original post by viddy9

Original post by ubiquitousking
I saw this just a while ago, genuinely pissed me off. That presenter especially talking about it's really an attack on "human beings and their freedom to have fun". What an absolutely absurd statement.

He walked into an LGBTQ community, killing LGBTQ people on a day when one would very much expect there to be LGBTQ individuals in the nightclub.
Walking out was the right thing to do.

I disagree that this has anything an entire group of people and their political inclination.

Not before (and after) waving it off generally as an attack on "human beings" or "freedom" (see 1:30-135 as one example); the straw man at 1:19 by the presenter is enraging, the snide comment at 2:58 (approx) again indicating that he's deflecting away from Owen Jones' suggestion that it's an attack on the LGBTQ community.
There are many examples of what Viddy9 said (minus the "Right" part), where they try and detract from the idea it's an attack on individuals because they are somewhere on the LGBTQ line
(Further example at 3:33 by "Julia", not the presenter).

Speaking as a gay leftie, Owen Jones was completely wrong to suggest that this attack had some kind of special significance because they targeted gay people rather than music fans or Christian worshipers. I cringed when he said the host couldn't understand because he wasn't gay - such a ridiculous comment.

Neither Julia nor the host said it wasn't a homophobic attack. Gay people are human beings for goodness sake; making that point shouldn't diminish the fact that it was also a homophobic attack.

The way this story has been twisted by the left wing media to suit their political agenda has really shocked me to be honest. Nobody seems that interested in debating what was actually said, they just want to be outraged.
Original post by Snufkin
Speaking as a gay leftie, Owen Jones was completely wrong to suggest that this attack had some kind of special significance because they targeted gay people rather than music fans or Christian worshipers. I cringed when he said the host couldn't understand because he wasn't gay - such a ridiculous comment.

Neither Julia nor the host said it wasn't a homophobic attack. Gay people are human beings for goodness sake; making that point shouldn't diminish the fact that it was also a homophobic attack.

The way this story has been twisted by the left wing media to suit their political agenda has really shocked me to be honest. Nobody seems that interested in debating what was actually said, they just want to be outraged.

Owen Jones didn't say it had some special kind of significance, he said that just as you would call an attack on a synagogue an anti-Semitic attack, you should call this attack a homophobic attack on the LGBT community.

Jones was simply pointing out that the presenter wouldn't have said the things he was saying if this were an attack on a synagogue.
Original post by Snufkin

He wasn't having a problem with Julia and says so on his twitter feed.

The Sky host did clearly try to downplay it as a homophobic attack. Watching the piece, it seems clear that he was pursuing a pre-agreed agenda that this is a 'typical' Islamist attack and therefore he was following orders and that's what really annoyed Owen Jones, who was rightly pointing out that just because some lunatic homophobe wants to call it religious doesn't make it not primarily a homophobic attack.

We are going to get a lot of this, after all, Trump is taking the same line and even (what a fricking cheek) blaming the President for it. All we are going to hear from many right wing sources is Islam, Islam, Islam when clearly this is about a lot more than that. That's why he got angry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending