The Student Room Group

German Edexcel A2 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I remember finding a bunch of sample translation passages but I've lost them, anyone happen to have some?
Reply 21
I found these good sheets that give good advice/examples about translations and what to be careful for!

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/german-translation-at-a2-6082076
Reply 22
Why does your teacher think Gentechnik will come up?I hope it does. Thank you for your points, they are very helpful :biggrin:
Original post by shaylux
for the literature Q, how in depth does everyone have research on their book & author? I've got a little background info but I'm not sure it's enough (and it's so hard to cram in 250 words!)

How come 250 words? doesn't the specification say
"One essay from the Guided Studies option (max. of 400 words)" ?
Original post by Joeboyshop
For the lit question one of my teachers thinks it could be something to do with the director/writer, but that would be quite hard. It definitely wont be cultural background( last year's), but i would love style, techniques or themes to come up.

Not sure if you're aware, but for the translation, they brought in a new marking sytem last year which is far more ambiguous: the paragraph is split into 5 sections, each of which are worth 2 marks. Some words in each chunk are essential, and others just need to be there or can be implied with other words as long as the meaning is the same. It's debateable whether it is now fairer/easier, but grade boundaries will adjust anyway, and its only 5% of the the entire a-level.
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A-Level/German/2013/Exam-materials/6GN04_01_msc_20150812.pdf

Also about gentechnik, if it comes up...
z.B Gentechnik kann die Welthunger lösen. Stimmen Sie auch?

Pro:
Es gibt immer mehr Menschen auf dem Planet, die sich ernähren müssen.
Wegen des Klimawandels, wird es immer schwieriger, einige Pfanzen in einigen Gebieten zu wachen: können wir das verändern, indem wir dem DNS bearbeiten, sodass sie in beispielsweise trockeneren Ländern wachen können.

Kontra:
Wir haben schon genug Essen auf dem Planet, wir müssen also nur weniger wegwerfen.
Es gibt mögliche Gefahren von genmanupielten Essen, die wir momentan nicht genau kennen.

what do you reckon would come up about the director/author? like what specifically ??
Original post by LyreBirds
How come 250 words? doesn't the specification say
"One essay from the Guided Studies option (max. of 400 words)" ?

its to 240-270 isn't it?
Reply 26
Original post by tillybbb
its to 240-270 isn't it?

it is 240-270, and I think anything above 270 is discounted :/
Original post by BethM98
it is 240-270, and I think anything above 270 is discounted :/

oh curious! which specification are you doing?
Reply 28
Moment of panic there but it's edexcel :smile:
Original post by shaylux
Moment of panic there but it's edexcel :smile:

OH apologies i've been mixing up my exam boards - no matter! i'm on WJEC! sorry for the confusion!
Hey guys, doing the historical essay but does anyone have any predictions for the discursive essays? Also wondering if anyone has any useful phrases or anything to help achieve top marks?
Reply 31
do people have any general tips for the exam?
Original post by KingAweT
Hey guys, doing the historical essay but does anyone have any predictions for the discursive essays? Also wondering if anyone has any useful phrases or anything to help achieve top marks?

General debating phrases are always good to start paragraphs with because they outline your argument.
-Die Frage die uns hier entgegentritt - the question we are facing here
-Zunächst möchte ich erwähnen - First i would like to mention...
-Vor allem - first and foremost
-Ich möchte auf (...) aufmerksam machen - i would like to draw attention to...
-Meiner Meinung nach/Meines Erachtens - in my opinion
-Ich habe keine Zweifel - i have no doubt
-Conditional phrases like 'wenn ich mehr zeit haette, moechte ich....'
-Concluding phrases for ending points or essays are important also because they signal the summary of your argument so -Zusammengefasst kann man sagen, dass (verb 2nd)... or Zusammenfassend möchte ich behaupten :smile:
Hi guys I'm studying Good Bye Lenin so for the literature question, I was wondering what question could come up ?

Hey what do u think is coming up on the history question ? I am also doing that one. Good luck for tomorrow!
Original post by aliaahmad
Hey what do u think is coming up on the history question ? I am also doing that one. Good luck for tomorrow!

I'm thinking it might be an event or social/ economics changes. What were you thinking?
I'm thinking it might be an event or social/ economics changes. What were you thinking?

I think it will be on social/economic too not sure about the event Coz they asked that before. I am focusing on Weimar Germany and Hitler's Germany what r u studying ?
Original post by aliaahmad
I think it will be on social/economic too not sure about the event Coz they asked that before. I am focusing on Weimar Germany and Hitler's Germany what r u studying ?

yeah but they've asked about significant people/ figures twice so its a possibility. I'm doing 1933-39 so mainly about Hitler etc too. I doubt it'll be politics as that was also recent and an everyday life essay is also similar to social + economic changes. I think it is likely to be on specifically social and economic changes but there is a potential for it to be an event. Those are the 2 areas im focusing on anyway!
Reply 38
Im studying literature and arts, focusing on the 'Goodbye Lenin' film but not sure what else could be asked in this topic other than what's already been asked in previous year. Any suggestions/ predictions??
yeah but they've asked about significant people/ figures twice so its a possibility. I'm doing 1933-39 so mainly about Hitler etc too. I doubt it'll be politics as that was also recent and an everyday life essay is also similar to social + economic changes. I think it is likely to be on specifically social and economic changes but there is a potential for it to be an event. Those are the 2 areas im focusing on anyway!

Yeah your right dough. I am also focusing on social and economic changes. Oh I see, good luck. I know this stuff from GCSE history so it should be hard. To be honest, the history question is the easiest out of all of them. Like allow doing the region, you need to know bare stuff for that. I really hope they ask it on social or economic changes Yano.

Quick Reply

Latest